AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: BeerBudget Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 03:48 PM
I'm going to AC on August 17 and don't want to spend the extra money for an air transfer from Belize City to AC. Do the water taxis run on a schedule so I don't have to worry about missing the last one? We're due to arrive at about 2pm. How long does the water taxi take? Thanks!!!
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 04:15 PM
There are scheduled times. I think twice a day each way, maybe with stop at Caye Caulker. I think the fare is something like $24 and it takes about an hour or so. Why don't you take back some more returnables and use Tropic Air? You will probably be a lot happier. I have heard mixed reviews of taking the water taxi..one of the biggest drawbacks is that you have to go to Belize City and the waterfront. Also don't forget to figure in the taxi ride to the city. I think the total difference is less than $30.00 when all said and done. Maybe for you But NOT for me.

There have been several comments on this osted in the last month, try to take a look back. I think that you will see what I mean.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 04:16 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. My understanding is, you have to take a taxi from the airport to Belize City, then the water taxi to AC.
Therefore, you have not save much money.
I am always in such a hurry to get to AC, and consider the little extra money well spent.
Posted By: silkpainter Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 04:29 PM
The water taxi takes about 1 hr and 15 minutes. I agree with the other opinions on the post regarding water taxi vs. air. I've taken the water taxi several times and just for the experience its worth it. But don't forget, that even if its not raining, you will probably still get wet and sometimes your luggage too it just depends on how it is loaded. I was suprised at how many people they cram on the boat, but that's part of the experience too. We fly over to the island now, its just not worth the hassle of a taxi ride and waiting around at the marine terminal with our stuff for a few bucks savings.
http://www.caribbean-colors.com
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 04:57 PM
So BeerBudget...I guess you will be taking the flight? Come on, just don't order that extra pizza this weekend and you are there.

Get to the island as fast as you can, it will be a few dollars well spent.
Posted By: BeerBudget Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 09:43 PM
Wow!!!! An overwhelming response in favor of air travel... Now there's no question -- I'll spend the extra money.

Thank you for your frank comments!!
Posted By: BeerBudget Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 07/20/00 09:51 PM
Oops -- one more question: how long does it take to get through customs at Belize airport so I know when to book the Tropic Air flight? Thanks!!!
The other option of course is to fly from the municipal, rather than from the international airport. Fares are almost exactly 50% off on flights to San Pedro; for other destinations in the country discounts are mostly 25 to 35%.

You still have to pay the US$15 taxi fare to municipal, but if you are traveling with other people, or arrange to share a taxi (do it inside the airport, not at the door), the per-person taxi cost isn't much, and you save about US$45 on a round-trip fare, which is enough to buy, lessee, about 25 Belikins.

Just FYI, the water taxi fare from Belize City to San Pedro is US$12.50 one-way. There are three Caye Caulker Water Taxi boats a day (at 9, noon and 3) from the Marine Terminal, plus the Triple J at 9 (from Court House wharf), Thunderbolt at 9 and 1 (from the Texaco gas station on N. Front St.) and the Andrea at 3 p.m, from the Court House wharf.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 08/03/00 03:28 PM
i've only done air, which is a great way to see the reef from above, very pretty. if you contact your hotel (as i did) they will arrange the proper flight for you, and maybe transfer to your hotel too. mine is far from the airport, so it worked for us. all said and done $115 US pp ($84 was air), air and local water taxi. not bad and worth it. good luck.
Posted By: Karen Pasquariello Re: Water Taxis from Belize City - 08/06/00 03:54 AM
Hi,
I agree with the rest. You land at the airport, get through customs, then have to get a taxi and pay that expense into Belize City, cram on the boat (if there is a seat and if you make the last boat in time), travel for a good hour (a pretty ride but you are exhausted by then), then you have to get from the boat dock to where you are staying. If you want to save, you could take the boat on the return, but then you'd have that taxi fare again. Once you have been traveling all day, you will want to get to the island in 15 minutes of flight time versus an hour plus with taxi and boat. Also, it is a gorgeous sight traveling out to the island by air. Tropic will know which flight to put you on when you make the reservation. Have a nice time.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board