AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Scoundrel Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 02:38 PM
Anyone know the rule on bringing a few bottles our favorite wine & vodka to AC. After all, what's a "break in the action" if you can't bring a few "OLD" friends? Could they be shipped ahead ? via Fed X
Looking to be legal

I could not find any postings on the topic
Thanks for any directions.
Planning on sand between the toes 9/11
Posted By: Debbie Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 02:55 PM
We brought two large bottles of our favs with us, with no problem. After arriving though, realized it wasnt' necessary. There is duty free liquor by the score at the airport. There are a couple of places to buy liquor in San Pedro as well. Since we had our own, I didn't look at the selection, but at a glace it looked pretty good.
Debbie
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 03:00 PM
Bring what you want. The limitations are not strictly imposed on the tourists, unless you have a suitcase full of Absolute, and wine bottles sticking out of your pockets. Better yet bring several bottles of Belevedere or Chopin (your choice), and leave one buried under the rock at the east end of the concrete wall immediately south of the barge landing (ask anyone for directions). I will be eternally grateful, and your thoughtful generosity will bless your trip daily throughout your stay.

In all seriousness, we bring in a fair amount and it's never been a problem. Oh for the Good Ol' Days of the duty free shop.

Have a great time.

Debbie::The duty free store is now only for those LEAVING the country. I checked the prices last time through, and they weren't that good at all.

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 09-01-2000).]
Posted By: Scoundrel Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info.

Say Choochoo could you recommend anyone close to the burial spot that we could borrow a shovel?
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 03:36 PM
Scoundrel;

The sand is pretty loose there. If you decide to use the south side of the wall you can trust the Guatemalan caretaker if you need to borrow a shovel. He does not believe in alcohol. I know that for a fact.

If your consumption while there exceeds your supply, you can purchase distilled spirits at the Island Grocery among other places. Brand names are VERY high. The Belizian vodkas are generally pretty bad...HOWEVER..if you really need to reload and even bad sounds good, try the Lerska (about $11.00BZ a liter). The Czar is cheaper and not too bad once you've run it through a coffee filter to get the critters out. (I'm serious). You'll love the faux Russian look to the bottles.

DO NOT DRINK THE BELIZIAN GIN! No need to explain just DO NOT DO IT!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 03:40 PM
Scoundrel: I've got a shovel! I'll even help dig a hole. You pick a time and I'll meet you at Coconuts Beach Bar next door. www.InvestInBelize.com
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 05:23 PM
I've got a feeling that no hole will dug or my secret rock moved for storage. OK, it will still work (the blessing thing that is) even if it is a bottle of Czar. Just leave coffee filters as well.

Jesse--out of curiousity, do you have anything to do with the bar at Coconuts other than as the occasional patron?

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 09-01-2000).]
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 05:33 PM
No, not now... After Mitch messed it up I took it over, rebuilt it and operated it for about 9 months until the hotel took it back over.I hired Margie and Ada who are both still there mixing the best drinks on the island. It's a great beach bar! Very friendly!
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 07:44 PM
Jesse;
Yup. Just as I figured..got a visual now. I remember when you did that. We stayed at Coconuts twice several years ago, but moved on the winter after Mitch.
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: Bringing Alcohol to AC - 09/01/00 08:00 PM
WOW Jesse....I never knew. See?...Ya learn something new everyday....LOL I'll have to drop by there and have a drink with you one afternoon. I know they have killer cherry bombs! [Linked Image]
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board