AmbergrisCaye.com Home
I'm heading to Sarteneja, and due to the thunderbolt being down for maintenance, it appears I have to take the bus! Taxi from the airport to the bus stop, then out from there.

Is the bus as sketchy as the instructions I received make it sound? I will have a couple pieces of luggage and my carry-on. Is it reasonably secure?

*** just the worries of a first time traveler! lol

any other suggestions?
Unless the schedule has changed in the past 6 months, there's only one bus per day from Corozal to Sarteneja.

It departs from the Corozal bus terminal at 4pm and arrives in Sarteneja at 7pm.

I'd say the best idea would be to get a taxi from the airstrip to the bus terminal (shouldn't be more than BZ$20). If the schedule has changed, you could try to get to Orange Walk and get on of the Sarteneja buses that come from Belize City. The bus terminal staff are very helpful.

I don't know what you've heard about buses in Belize, but they are reasonably safe. They're old school buses so not very comfortable. When boarding a bus at a terminal, just get on and find a seat. Luggage can be stored in overhead racks, or at the back of the bus, or wherever the conductor says. Always keep an eye on your luggage because passengers often use the rear emergency door as an entrance or exit -- someone could easily grab a bag and jump out the back door. I like to keep my luggage within arm's reach if possible.
THANKS.... leaving from just outside the Belize city airport...
the instructions were -Quote

"(Perez Line, baby blue coloured with a dark blue stripe), that go through Orange Walk and then on to Sarteneja - they should pass the Shell station in Ladyville (end of the airport road) around 10:45am, 12:15pm, 2:15pm, 4:15pm and lastly at 5:15pm"

Does that sound about right?
Disregard my previous post. I assumed you were landing at Corozal airport.

Here's some information I received from a resident of Sarteneja in 2010:

"Buses depart from the Swing Bridge (NOT the bus terminal) in Belize City on Monday to Friday at 10:30 am, 12:00 noon, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm. On Saturdays, buses depart at 10:30 am, 12:00 noon, 4:00 pm. No bus on Sundays.
Same bus passes through Orange Walk, stopping across from the St. Christopher Hotel (NOT the bus terminal). Departure time from Orange Walk is about 1.5 hours after departure time from Belize City."

Your schedule has one more bus (at 2pm) than mine. Do you know if your schedule is before or after 2010?

After buses leave Belize City, they will take about 15 minutes to reach Ladyville. I don't know if there's a scheduled stop at Ladyville, so you have to wait on the side of the highway and wave an arm up & down when you see a bus coming. Be aware that there might be other buses, so make sure you get the Sarteneja bus. A sign should be in the front window of the bus. I don't know if the bus line is Perez.
again... thanks so much!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board