AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Guided kayaking thru mangroves?

Posted By: Katie Valk

Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/02/15 10:14 PM

Anyone offering guided kayaking tours thru the mangroves?
Posted By: elbert

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/03/15 09:28 AM

Great Idea. Seriously good one but no one I know.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/04/15 12:18 AM

I would certainly be interested in a tour like this.....I even have my own Kayak....The thing is when I looked it up in Florida it appears to be somewhat dangerous with regard to the Crocs.....? Does anyone know anymore here about this as a danger here on the island?

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/04/15 12:48 PM

I don't think anyone ever had a problem with crocs back there. It doesn't seem like a realistic concern to me.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/04/15 03:26 PM

Never I heard of or happened to me while paddling thru their habitat
Posted By: Hon

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/04/15 07:12 PM

I have kayaked in our inflatable on the west side too many times to count. In spite of seriously looking, I have never even seen a crocodile.

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/04/15 07:23 PM

This is good news.....I'm just a bit apprehensive.... The Florida incidents were both lone kayakers deep in the mangrove; one hit the croc with his oar causing a reaction that capsized his boat ....He was injured from both a small croc bite and the natural scrapes and bruises of the mangrove. The other was discovered hours after being mauled.... Unfortunately did not survive the event and no one is sure how he ended up in the water with the Croc...... Needless to say I would like a guide with Croc experience.....Maybe Miss Kate and her Mexican Broom? ... wink
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/04/15 10:27 PM

I know Lisa at the Maya House has talked about doing this. However, they are back in the US until high season.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/08/15 02:09 PM

did it with Elito of Seaduced many years ago....

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/08/15 09:24 PM

I've been scouting for a cheap old pontoon that I can fix up for a trip like this. Found one at the boat yard but the owner wanted too much. Still shopping around.Judyann, Florida has alligators and we have crocodiles.

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/08/15 11:24 PM

Yes, sorry about that....Round snouts versus pointed ones.....Can never keep that straight....But both have BIG TEETH.....and CLAWS...... wink
Posted By: maruke

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/22/15 02:27 AM

Actually, The Everglades does have crocs, they are salt water crocs and I personally
Prefer to keep my distance. However they are found in the south, not indigenous but
They certainly are thriving in those warmer waters. And I do realize the alligator way
Out numbers them. I, too, am interested in this thread,
Kayaking is a passion.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/25/15 07:43 AM

http://tourincartagena.com/pages/mangrove-swamp.htm

I did this in Colombia. Absolutely fantastic! We were in small canoe-like boats with the captain standing and poling us through the mangroves as would a gondolier in Venice. It was such an intimate experience with the water, water creatures, flora and fauna birds!! I'd love to do it again.

Re: Guided kayaking thru mangroves? - 07/25/15 04:16 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
We have thousands of acres and they are connected by lagoon and tidal river so exploring by boat is easy. I have my eye on three little isolated islands that I want to visit.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board