AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: cristinakj Oh if only I knew... - 09/09/15 08:48 AM
Just for fun...and, okay, information, I wondered how any visitors or frequent flyers to BZ would finish this sentence:

I went to Belize for a visit and I wish I'd remembered to bring............?

Posted By: azbob Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/09/15 03:27 PM
Forgetting to bring LESS clothes, every time!!!!!
Posted By: Latt Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/09/15 04:16 PM
Bug spray.
Posted By: cristinakj Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/09/15 05:35 PM
lol I've read about both of these but it's so hard to measure what "less" clothes means, you know?
Posted By: klcman Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/09/15 10:39 PM
Trust me, you do NOT want Bob forgetting too much! laugh
Posted By: Hon Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/10/15 12:53 AM
The last time I saw azbob he had on less clothes. Shiver wink Hugs Bob...

Seriously though, an umbrella. Good for both the rain and the sun.
Posted By: azbob Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/11/15 04:19 PM
You guys are way to KIND! blush

Posted By: J DOG Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/12/15 02:33 PM
More CASH!!
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/12/15 06:06 PM
Better Bras.....Oh, and good lawn furniture...Oh and, .....well I guess I can write a book on all the things I would have left and brought..... Thank you Amazon, MBE and all my dear friends who mule a few precious items to me each trip.....
Posted By: cristinakj Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/12/15 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by J DOG
More CASH!!
Hi J.
I was curious about your response because I'm visiting soon and I have access to cash with my debit card but I was (am) unclear about how much cash I should have on hand when I arrive at the airport, and whether or not I should have BZ or US currency. I know US currency is accepted, just seems like it'd be confusing (to me, anyway) to pay with USD and get BZ cash back because my math skills are really not good!
Posted By: collyk Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/12/15 11:01 PM
It doesn't matter if you use USD or BZD currency to any vendor here. They will give you change at a 2/1 basis. As for how much cash you should have, that really depends on your individual needs and what you will need to pay cash for during your first few days if you can't get cash easily from a cash machine. How much will transportation be to your accommodation and, afterwards, to any place you might wish to visit? Are you going to want to shop at any small street stands or food vendors? Do you need to pay in cash for any part of your accommodation? I'd consider having as much cash on you and available as you'd have at home for a week if you're absolutely confident your debit card will be accepted here.
Posted By: azbob Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/14/15 07:52 PM
collyk is right, just make sure your US$'s are not ripped or torn or have markings on them. I always carry lots of $1's, $5's, $10's and $20's along with some $50 and $100's stashed away. In my many trips I have had to use the ATM only once. All the houses, condo's and hotels have safes for you to use. Only take what you intend to spend daily. I always have just one credit card, drivers licenses and passport. Enjoy, enjoy enjoy!!
Posted By: Shyboy Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/14/15 10:26 PM
Both above are correct. I carry ONLY a very thin plastic "wallet" with 1 credit card, my driver's license and my medical info.Use Visa or MasterCard instead of Amex as many places will not accept Amex.I also carry a few business cards as I do have meetings when I am on the Island.
Pay by credit card when you can and US dollars when you can't. You will accumulate some Bz dollars in change. Use those dollars for tips and you will not accumulate too many Bz dollars.
Posted By: cristinakj Re: Oh if only I knew... - 09/15/15 07:08 PM
Thank you all for your responses and insight.

I believe I can arrange my flight with Maya Air online. I don't know if there are fees at the airport, but I'll have some cash on hand, just in case. I will need cash for my accommodations but I'm going to Punta Gorda so I'm thinking I won't need a lot.

Thanks again, y'all smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board