AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour

Posted By: Otteralum

Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 08/24/17 01:19 AM

Spending 4 nights in San Pedro followed by 2 nights in Placencia. Thinking about flying into Belmopan and whether or not it's possible to do a one-way rental down to Placencia. This would allow us a nice leisurely sightseeing day. Anyone have advice on this arrangement or whether other arrangements make more sense?

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 12/12/17 08:04 PM

Booked flights from San Pedro to Belmopan and arranging for a rental to drive the Hummingbird Hwy to Placencia. If anyone has any "must dos" on the Hummingbird, I'm all ears. We have all day and few constraints. Thanks.

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/09/18 08:14 PM

Anyone know of a good roadmap of Belize mainland we can take with us on our trip? Looking to pinpoint where on the Hummingbird we will want to stop so we have a general orientation.

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/11/18 02:46 PM

Last post for me. Found a good map. If there are any ideas on must-stops along the way, let us know. Thanks
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/11/18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Otteralum
Last post for me. Found a good map. If there are any ideas on must-stops along the way, let us know. Thanks

In Belmopan I recommend stopping in at the Art Box (on the western highway just 1/2 mile east of the city entry) - wonderful things there.

On the road ...... two must-do stops:

St. Herman's Cave - wear study shoes and take a flashlight. Lovely forest-walk in, stairs down into cave and proper walkway going into cave a distance. Not strenuous at all and very beautiful. No need for a guide. Ranger station and toilet on site.

Inland Blue Hole - just 1/4 mile farther along the road from St. Herman's Cave. Same entrance ticket gets you in both parts of the park. Take bathing suit and have a lovely swim in this cenote. Changing rooms, picnic tables and ranger station on site.

The combo of these stops can take from 1 -2 hours depending on your own pace.

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/11/18 05:39 PM

Great! Thank you!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/12/18 03:52 PM

PS - if the ranger tells you he is out of entrance tickets ask him to look for more - this is a classic method of stealing entrance fees and I encountered it at both places along the road over Christmas holidays. Upon looking further, both rangers found tickets.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/13/18 12:44 AM

and before you turn onto the Hummingbird, continue on the Western for a very short bit more and stop in at Cheers. I know you do not imbibe in adult beverages much, but you really should do this. Your lovely wife can thank me later.....

edit: you need to backtrack a couple of miles on the Western (mile 31). Just before La Democracia and the Belize Zoo. I was thinking of the Coastal Hwy. Not been there in along tim but the ppl were fun and the beer COLD!
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/13/18 02:49 AM

Good to see 3 familiar names on the board above. Happy New Year.

Re: Hummingbird Highway Self-guided Tour - 01/17/18 06:19 PM

Great feedback. Happy New Year, Chloe!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board