AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Short Octopus steals camera - 04/17/10 01:06 AM
Wellington, Victor Huang from New Zealand was diving when an octopus appeared from the seaweed, and took his camera. He then made a run for it with the camera still running. Huang who said that the animal looked just like a fleeing shoplifter chased the octopus and managed to get the camera back while distracting the him with a spear gun.

Posted By: seashell Re: Octopus steals camera - 04/17/10 10:53 AM
Well that is just . . .uh . . .fantastic!! What an experience!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Octopus steals camera - 04/17/10 04:45 PM
IT was worth the long down load time. However, I couldn't get it up full screen. That the guy had the presents of mind to keep shooting was impressive. that alone would have made for a good video even without the robbery aspect. Octopi are really smart.
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Octopus steals camera - 04/17/10 05:14 PM
They're supposed to be as bright as a domestic cat. They recognise individual divers and will come to some and retreat from others, and apparently remember how they were treated before. Fascinating creatures, especially on a night dive outside the reef.
Posted By: denjy Re: Octopus steals camera - 04/17/10 11:21 PM
Harriette, It is impressive full screen. Copy and paste the following address where you can see it full screen.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5DyBkYKqnM&feature=player_embedded
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: Octopus steals camera - 04/18/10 12:20 AM
At last I've been able to see it (thanks, denjy). I'm not surprised the octopus didn't like being videoed, because clearly its permission hadn't been asked and no fee offered.
Posted By: terrielinn Re: Octopus steals camera - 04/18/10 04:23 PM
Very fun to watch. Just one question.... Where's the spear gun now? wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board