AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Death by Migration - 10/05/11 11:25 PM
Hazards of Migration
I've been asked by several friends to explain the large number of dead birds being found.
Death during migration takes a heavy toll. It is estimated that half of all migrants heading south for the winter will not return to breed in the spring.
Predation and bad weather are two natural causes of mortality during migration.
Birds migrating are in a weak and venerable state, assisting with feeders and bird baths help tremendously and in more ways than the obvious.
Collisions with buildings, windows, and other structures is a human-made danger. Unfortunately, many birds cannot distinguish the difference between real sky and a reflection of the sky in a window.
During migration millions birds fly full tilt into windows and are fatally injured or injured and fail to complete their migration.
Planting trees and installing window awnings to block the sun from hitting the window may eliminate some reflection but Putting a bird feeder on or within a few feet of a window helps to slow birds down and lessen the effect of impact.
Bird baths help in much the same way by having the bird stop and hopefully become aware of windows and other obstacles it might not otherwise recognize.The feeders and water in Bird Baths also act as a refueling station and assist the bird in completing the journey.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Death by Migration - 10/05/11 11:34 PM
I'm doin my part by leaving my windows dirty...no reflections!
Posted By: Bear Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 02:29 PM
We use lenghts of colored yarn hangin off our roof line to act as a "reminders" during our migratory periods. Unfortunately we still suffer some losses from the resident hummers...
Posted By: elbert Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 02:33 PM
Its amazing how bird baths and feeders attract,my place has several and it makes 'Rocking Chair Birdwatching' very productive!
Posted By: Bear Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 02:55 PM
yes! We treasure our oriole sanctuary and spa
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 05:18 PM
I had a pair of young Northern Water-thrushs arrive a couple of weeks ago. His daddy lived here for months last year and then one day a lady NWT flew in. I was so happy I was going to have a pair but after about ten minutes she flew off and he followed her. MALES!

Last week a pair of Hooded Warblers came in. What beauties they are! I don't have to move from my hammock chair to be entertained. What a life!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 06:52 PM
Harriett, I wish we had more birds up at our place, Bermuda Landing. All I usually see is Crackels, Doves and the occasional Great Kisakee which are beautiful.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 07:06 PM
Want some more Grackles? You are welcome to mine!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by SP Daily
Want some more Grackles? You are welcome to mine!

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Bear Re: Death by Migration - 10/07/11 08:50 PM
I bet no one ever put only 4 and 20 grackles in a pie...more like 420...
Posted By: elbert Re: Death by Migration - 10/08/11 02:14 PM
Grackle Pie
1 lb. ground Grackle meat
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
1 cup tomato sauce
pinch of cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter, melted
12 sheets Phyllo pastry

In a skillet, saute ground Grackle in olive oil with onions until browned. Season with salt, oregano and pepper. Add tomato sauce, cinnamon.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and stir in cheese. When ground Grackle has cooled, fold in the eggs and cheese mixture.

Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan. Arrange six sheets of Phyllo pastry on bottom of pan, buttering each sheet. Spread a layer of cooled Grackle mixture evenly on Phyllo. Cover with remaining six sheets, brushing each with melted butter.

Trim edges of Phyllo to fit pan with a sharp knife. Slice through top of pastry to form diamond shapes.

Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until pastry is golden crisp.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Death by Migration - 10/08/11 04:49 PM
Sounds tasty...but does that Grackle nastiness carry over to the eater?
Posted By: Bear Re: Death by Migration - 10/08/11 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by SP Daily
Sounds tasty...but does that Grackle nastiness carry over to the eater?

not if you 420 before eating SP

...a pound of cleaned grackle meat, that would be about 420 of the little blighters

Elbert is that receipe for graklava, gravlavaka, or spanikopitakle?
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Death by Migration - 10/08/11 05:16 PM
AL - If they would have let me plant the kind of plants birds like you would have more birds. But then I'm told condo owners don't like leaves falling on the pristine sand or bird poop any place. Heck - a whole lot of my beautiful plants here at Birdland were planted by the birds eating seeds one place and coming here to fertilize my yards.
he he he he
Posted By: Bear Re: Death by Migration - 10/08/11 05:34 PM
Birdland, heh great club.
Posted By: iamonislandtime Re: Death by Migration - 10/29/11 02:38 AM
I would suggest hanging faceted round glass crystals from strings in front of the windows. When the sun shine on them it hits on it...causing reflections of the light on to the windows. Not sure where one could buy these here in Belize but they can be gotten in a Feng Shui stores stateside.
Posted By: Bear Re: Death by Migration - 10/29/11 03:12 PM
mylar foil tape is inexpensive and works very well...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board