AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arrived

Posted By: Don Greife

Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arrived - 04/17/08 05:33 PM

The young independant from Punta Gorda (forget his name) was campaigning on "The need for some big Constitunal changes". Well, it seems that some may be in the offing according to "the Daily" today. They are even proposing to give the citizens the right to write legislation through the 'petition' process. That's more than the southern democrats give its citizens in the states. Sounds promising anyway. Of course, no one will have an opinion on this subject.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arrived - 04/17/08 07:31 PM

None at all Don wink
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arrived - 04/18/08 02:28 PM

Don
I find a lot of excitement and energy happing here since the March election! I too am amazed at how few people acknowledge the various news postings on San Pedro Daily. I think those of us who live here are a small minority of this board and most of the regulars ‘just want to have fun.’
Maybe Marty should set up a board for us???
Each week one of the local politicians has attended the Chamber of Commerce meeting and given reports. Yesterday the engineer for the planning department gave an excellent report on docks and waste and asked for our help.
The police report in the San Pedro Sun listed at least five busts on DRUG DEALERS, not just end users. I was told that one of the local bars was fined and a prostitute was arrested.
Now, before anyone starts a rant – I would like to see marijuana decriminalized and prostitution legalized. But until it is . . .
AND the Prime Minister named his ex-wife to be ambassador to the UN! Puts a difference face on nepotism.
I have high hope for this country.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 04:43 PM

I noticed last week the SPS printed a Letter to the editor but didn't publish the name of the writer.
I was surprised I thought that was policy.
Do you think that should be policy?
The anonymity or lack of it makes a huge difference in what a person says or does.

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 05:11 PM

Its not quite the same.
I'm not asking because i want to publish anything w/o my name . i'm suggesting the ambergriscaye board, you, the sun, and all. would have less problems if anonymous characters where not allowed.
The things that wouldn't get said if the name of the source was published we could probably do with out.
Sorry Don I'm getting a little off topic

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 05:38 PM

Your right
Zorro was a hero, the Lone Ranger was good
but aren't they exceptions to the rule. The ski mask sales are up in desert areas?
No simple solutions I guess.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 06:37 PM

ScubaLdy, I I subscribe to the San Pedro Daily and read it every day. It provides me with different information, good and bad, on a place I hope to live and different than what I learn on the MB. I also look at the weeklies, AC Today and SP Sun, and was watching TV News 5 & 7 but they remind me to much of the “drive by media” here: Always the sensational very little on the good things.
My point is: I do like “having fun” on the “board”, but I am extremely interested in the National and local politics of Belize. It provides insight for the future. I can only speak for my self and not the others: I do not provide input on discussions such as these because I do not live there, yet, and do not feel that I have a right to voice my opinion.
But I am still very interested in the discussion and the views present by all.
I did notice that there have been 197 views on this subject, but only 9 responses. Others are reading, so please continue to share.
Posted By: ubbit

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 07:36 PM

For a newspaper to print an unsigned letter is total irresponsibility. Some rags in the states do that, but none of the responsible papers. For the SPS to think it can be the sole judge of determining what unsigned letter should be printed and which one shouldn't is even worse. Requirement that letters be signed provides its own filter.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 09:06 PM

Geez: The paper belongs to the owner and run by the editor. He can run any doggone thing he wants to. If he screws up and loses credibility, it's his financial asz. I don't know what other folks hometowns are like, but the general policy of the papers around here is: if the writer requests anonimity and discloses his name AND a reason for the request, the paper either honors the request or tells the writer that it'll be published with a name, or not all. The choice is then up to the writer, but the real onus first is on the paper to analyze the writer's reasons.
Posted By: ubbit

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 09:25 PM

Slander and hide behind the 1st amendment. Never reveal the source. If a person doesn't have any balls, then he or she should keep their mouth shut.

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/18/08 09:56 PM

I think you guys might be missing part of the point , your talking behind anonymous identities as you speak on this forum. You may have noticed how people act different at a costume party.

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/19/08 04:38 AM

This type of discussion is exactly why I have my name at the end of everyone of my posts - as do a few others.
To use an analogy "Aren't you glad you use Dial? DEon't you wish everybody did?"
Posted By: Don Greife

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/20/08 04:35 AM

AZBob and the many others who are not residents, and feel they have no right to voice an opinion onthe political picture; I used to feel exactly the same way. Not any longer however. My reasons are pretty simple, I think. The ol' girl and I have struggled for some time about moving to the island and take up Belikins, Cuban cigars and tarpon fishing on a daily and serious ambition. "(Please note that I use my name on my posts). We have postponed making the decision to move for several reasons. If all things were "equal" in my view I'd move in a heart beat,,, but I don't think they are. I visit the island 5>6 times a year just to fish, and when I come I am forced to see and hear of the conditions in the system, like the universal health thing, the public school thing, the needs for hospitals and doctors, the question surrounding the tax structure and its funds utiliztion, talks of the sale of reservation lands, the banking systems intrest rate structure, and what appears to be a lack of foresight by the administrations in the tourism industry, etc, etc. Today, I am content being a frequent tourist in San Pedro. When a few of the proposed constitutional ammendments are realities I will probably change my mind. At worse, I may be denied entry or sent home for speaking my mind. I find it distressing that many of the locals that I have spoken with seem either "not well informed or under some form of political intimidation". Although I am not easily intimidated it would be tough for me to say "I had been thrown out of better places".

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/20/08 03:07 PM

AZBob,
again sorry for the side track about anonymity.
Outside ideas are helpful and welcome a lot of the time,
but truly if you look at most of them, their condescending and coming from a country with lots of serious problems. Yours however are not. The US has 200 years of experience on us and we might learn a lot from the mistakes made there and some from the things that worked.
Phone taping is sadly going to be a necessary evil all over the world.
As to the other proposed changes , well don't worry they are just thoughts being kicked around by new people in government. Reality of law will sober the intoxicating new power and nothing radical will come of it.

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/20/08 05:59 PM

I was very impressed Thursday at the Chamber of Commerce meeting. The Deputy Mayor brought the chief engineer – part of the planning department. He said some things that set him apart from many of the long time politicals here: “We do not have to reinvent the wheel! We can learn from other countries.” WOW
He said a lot of other things but I’m going to let that digest for awhile.

ABob – I totally understand. I came here eight times before I made the total move. I did that once I felt so heart sick about where I was leaving I had higher hope of coming to a place that was evolving.

Although people speak of Belize as being a third world country, and much of the country is, the Cayes are more in the ‘emerging nations’ class. In the US I felt helpless- here I feel useful. Although there are a handful of people who consider themselves ‘locals’ and resent anything immigrants suggest there are just as many if not more people who are starting to accept ideas other than their own.

I like the old saying “If you are not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem.”
These are exciting times!

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/20/08 06:11 PM

Well said Harriette

Posted By: seashell

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/20/08 10:17 PM

Anybody know who "ubbit" is, IRL?
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/21/08 03:43 PM

"The young independant from Punta Gorda (forget his name)"

Wil Meija? Good guy. Lots of great ideas.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/21/08 06:02 PM

I finally caught up after hiding on my isolated mountain property for the weekend (second only to AC for mental adjustment). I appreciate all of your responses and it is so very obvious that I have a lot to learn about the political history of Belize. I had drawn to many assumptions because of British Honduras being part of the “Empire” until 1981. It is a totally independent young country and I have always thought as Harriette said “it is an emerging nation”, so far ahead of other Central American countries. But as Don pointed out “when I come I am forced to see and hear of conditions in the system, like … universal health,…public schools, …doctors & hospitals, …tax structure,…lack of foresight…” are all problems this “youngster” is facing. Yes, Elbert, hopefully, they can learn from “the US ... 200 years of experience…mistakes made…and some of the things that worked.” I hope in the future I can present valid comments and, yes Harriette, I hope to be a little part of the solution and none of the problem. Thanks Elbert for the nice comment.
My political education really begins:
Interesting article in today’s SP Daily that fits into this discussion:
Commentary:
Time for constitutional reform in Belize
Wellington C. Ramos
“They did not do anything to involve the people of Belize to engage in such deliberations that were necessary. As a result, our country was given this document which required several changes in the executive, legislative and judicial branches of government without extensive debate and public input.”
Is this commentary or fact?

Just one more thing:

Signed,

Bob Boyett
3600 N Meadowlark Dr
Prescott Valley AZ 86314
(928)759-7197
Email: [email protected]

No home page or web site as of yet.

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/21/08 06:19 PM

Great article on San Pedro Daily. I find it very interesting to learn of the political history here.
I am also acutely aware of how history gets recorded and taught. One of the nice things about Belize political history is that it is so young that there are plenty of people around who actually know what happened. Of course we all have our own way of seeing things. When I was taking a series of classes in college on Women’s history one of the first things that was pointed out was that most all of recorded history was from a man’s point of view and that the winners get to write it. LOL - well –maybe not so funny?

Jesse – keep up the good work.

Re: Perhaps the POLITICO from Punta Gorda has arri - 04/21/08 06:43 PM

"Just one more thing:"
yea Bob is out :-)
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board