AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty P.M. Barrow: President Obama to Visit Belize - 04/21/09 04:55 AM
belize-prime-minister-dean-barrow.jpg

Belmopan, Belize, 20 April 2009 - (Belizean.com) - Prime Minister Dean Barrow stated in a radio interview in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago Saturday, that U.S.A. President Barrack Obama will visit Belize. The Belize Prime Minister who was attending the Fifth Summit of the America's In Trinidad, was interviewed by  KREM radio reporter Adele Ramos. The Prime Minister's interview was broadcast in Belize yesterday Sunday April 19th.

Prime Minister Barrow stated that over dinner on Friday, President Barack Obama had expressed an interest in visiting Belize. According to Barrow, President Obama indicated that he will put forward to congress within the next month or six weeks, his nomination for a new U.S.A. ambassador in Belize. "After this we will be in a better position to start to make arrangements for ths logistics of the President's visit," stated Mr. Barrow.

Posted By: Marty Re: P.M. Barrow: President Obama to Visit Belize - 04/23/09 03:35 PM

And moving on to the subject that’s been quite the buzz recently, the PM discussed his meeting with US President Barack Obama and the possibility – however remote – that he could come to Belize. The two leader shared a table at the official summit dinner on Saturday night in Port of Spain and Barrow says it was Obama who asked him about Belize.

Hon. Dean Barrow,
“He was extremely friendly, it is not just what he said but the body language that accompanied his pronouncements, suggested this is somebody serious about a fresh start in terms of hemispheric relations. He appeared genuinely interested in Belize. He didn’t know about Belize and when he said that he would like to visit and that he is recording an intention to visit, I took him seriously. As I said to Adele in Trinidad and Tobago, he told me that he proposes within the next month to six weeks to nominate an Ambassador to Belize.

The person he has in mind is, I think he described him as an old college buddy, and we all know of the sorts of friendships that are formed between and among college buddies. But my sense that he was choosing his pick for Belize very carefully, that it was deliberate that this was somebody personally close to him and that it would be a question of good looking out for Belize under the watch of the new Ambassador. Of course the nomination has to go to Congress and nobody can be certain that Congress will approve. The President also made the point that once the new Ambassador is in place, that would make it even easier or certainly less difficult to arrange the logistics of his visit to Belize. So I took him very seriously.”

Channel 7
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board