AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution

Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/07/06 04:45 AM

http://www.channel5belize.com/archive_pics/16174.jpg

After a day and a half of negotiations, this morning Belize and Cuba officially endorsed a new agreement for partnerships in 2006. According to Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Eamon Courtenay, Belize can never repay Cuba for its contributions to the areas of health and education.

Eamon Courtenay, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade
“The relations between Cuba and Belize are marked by concrete manifestations of good works between two countries. The relations between most countries in the world is characterized by the niceties of diplomacy and the courtesies of talk. The work of the commission, mixed commission over the past two days is a true and clear manifestation of action. The points that we have agreed in agriculture, in home affairs, in education, in culture, in health are all of absolute importance to Belize. And indeed the fact that Cuba having regard to its present economic situation is able to help us in this way underlines for us true solidarity between our countries and our people. For which I would like on behalf of the government and people of Belize to regard our sincerest thanks and gratitude.”

“We stand ready as small as we are to provide assistance to Cuba in anyway we can. Your unconditional support for our struggle for independence, and your continued commitment to our territorial integrity and sovereignty is indeed another example of your solidarity with Belize on the international scene. We equal and match the commitment from Cuba by our unconditional respect for the right of the people of Cuba, and indeed the right for the people in any country.”

Loretta Blanco, Vice Minister, Foreign Trade and Cooperation
“We would like to have the commitment with the Belizean people and government that in continuing with the cooperation and contribution that Cuba has been rendering to this country. So this is a joint commitment. Though we are two underdeveloped countries, we should be engaged in continuing to develop these relationships so that in 2007, we will be in a condition to increase this cooperation.”

The signing ceremony between Courtenay and Vice Minister Loretta Blanco was part of official closing ceremonies for the ninth Belize Cuba mixed commission. Members of the local delegation included officials from the Ministry of Culture and representatives from the Social Security Board. Both are confident that bi-lateral relations with Cuba will benefit Belizeans in very tangible ways.

Andy Palacio, Deputy Administrator, NICH
“We welcome the corporation arrangement with Cuba very much because Cuba offers a lot of programmers and activities we can get involved in. There are several institutions that conduct the kind of work that our institutes here in Belize conduct and we can learn from their experiences and benefit from their expertise.”

Dalila Castillo, Assistant General Manager, S.S.B.
“What we are looking at mainly is one medical treatment for employment injury cases. You all know that Cuba offers very good medical care, and we sometimes need to send our patients that suffer employment injuries abroad for treatment. So that’s one area that we are looking at, and we are also looking at some technical assistants in training in certain areas that would support the improvement of the quality of services that are provided both to employment injury patients within Social Security and also the services provided through the N.H.I.”

Channel 5 Belize [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/07/06 01:47 PM

organizing a Parade soon SIN? be a good way for you to celebrate!

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/07/06 02:08 PM

When you're being run out of town, get out in front and make it look like a parade! smile
Posted By: Bzedoll

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/07/06 02:19 PM

We Belizean celebrate things like these. Cuba has helped our small country in many ways. Being thankful does not mean that we agree with Catro's way of governance! I have a very good friend that is currently studying in Cuba to become a doctor. No where else in the world would he be able to get free schooling.

Sometimes I think that we are getting to involved with Cuba and this may harm our ties with the US but as a developing country we need all the help we can get. I try to see things from both sides!
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/07/06 05:57 PM

Bzedoll,
Thank you for your point of view. A local's take on the situation is good to see on this board. You're the real deal.
Pam
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/07/06 06:29 PM

smile
Posted By: Belikin Bill

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/08/06 03:45 AM

Here are some facts...
You can find these facts in "The Cuban Economy" a publication by the United Nations and the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (CEPAL) of 1997.

Cuba owes $18.3 billion dollars to Russia,(The Miami Herald 5/26/1998)
The province of Habana has 21% of the population and people from other provinces of Cuba are not allowed to cross into Havana.
The availability of public transportation decreased 70% between 1990 and 1996 .
Construction activity decreased 400% during the same period of 1990 and 1996.
Telecommunications is outdated and dates back to the 1930's and 1940's .
It is estimated that $8 billion dollars will be needed for the reconstruction of power in Cuba.
Sewer system is outdated and dates back to 1930 and 1950.
In 1959 there were 11 prisons. Today there are more than 300.
In the 1950's Cuba had 58 daily newspapers. Presently only one exists.
In the 1950's -Cuba ranked eighth in the world in number of private radio stations. Presently privatly owned radio stations are forbidden.
Cuba's infant mortality rate of 32 per 1,000 live births in 1957 was the lowest in Latin America and the 13th lowest in the world, according to UN data. Cuba ranked ahead of France, Belgium, west Germany, Israel, Japan, Austria, Italy, Spain, and Portugal, all of which would eventually pass Cuba in this indicator during the following decades.
Presently Cuba has one of the largest abortion rates in the entire world
Within Latin America, Cuba ranked second only to Venezuela in 1958 in number of automobiles per capita at 24 per 1,000. Today its transportation system is a complete disaster.
During the late 1950's, Cuba ranked second only to Uruguay in Latin America, with 169 radios per 1,000 people. (Worldwide, this put Cuba just ahead of Japan.)
In terms of television sets per capita, 1950's Cuba was far ahead of the rest of Latin America and was among the world's leaders. Cuba had 45 television sets per 1,000 inhabitants in 1957, by far the most in Latin America and fifth in the world, behind only Monaco, the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
During the 1950's, the Cuban people were among the most informed in the world, living in an uncharacteristically large media market for such a small country.
In 1957, Cuba had more television stations (23) than any other country in Latin America, easily outdistancing larger countries such as Mexico (12 television stations) and Venezuela (10). It also led Latin America and ranked eighth in the world in number of radio stations (160), ahead of such countries as Austria (83 radio stations), United Kingdom (62), and France (50), according to the UN statistical yearbook.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/11/06 05:19 PM

FYI: The first to "invest in Belize" were The Baymen - ex pirates of strong moral/ethical behavior.

Get up a lil' earlier Beli-skin Bill.

SINno doubt
Posted By: Under Da Water

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/11/06 08:21 PM

Cuba is doing great for not having the benifit of trade and aid from the richest country in the world. Per capita they graduate more scientist/doctors then most every country. (US is 14th) Obviously Castro isn't the best leader, but a lot of countries have that problem. Actually the first investors in Belize were the Mayans. And does anyone really think that any pirates were moral/ethical people...LOL
Posted By: Marty

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/11/06 08:31 PM

stay mellow. we have no reason to get nasty over this. personal insults, yuck.

if i want to keep a thread and there are a bunch of personal insults, i have to load each comment and delete them individually. i just spent too damn long deleting about 20 threads above.

spare me and others the personal crap. take it somewhere else.
Posted By: kippe

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/13/06 06:09 PM

Thanks Marty. Some responses to some important issues are downright stupid, look at the responses posted to the article about the "oil situation", not to mention above, even after you did what you had to do. Bottom line is that this forum has become so overpopulated with airheads and people with nothing better to do then to prank away on //www.ambergriscaye.com that it must make possible visitors to Belize wonder what kind of place Belize really is to attract such "lighthearted" individuals, for whom everything becomes a joke. Belize is a developing country and pretty much broke, community services are in the hands of brutal individuals and we all have to be patient and voice our opinions carefully, those of us that have decided to try to live and lend support in and to Belizians and Belize and not try to laugh away decisions the country has made.We are not superior, we do not necessarily know better, so how can we judge?
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/13/06 10:26 PM

smile

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 02:02 AM

confused

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 04:48 PM

Just wanted to let you all know that after I posted my little ditty about how to possibly approach the problems Belize is facing and what our role as visitors, ex-pats...should be I got two rather nasty private e-mails from somebody on this board. Why they were sent as personal messages I have not a clue and I have a real problem with my privacy being invaded in this way. I have made my personal e-mail address available so that members can reach me if they have something to sell, I have a friend here who is in the buying-selling business and I am just trying to help him out. He, like a lot of Belizians, is struggling to get ahead, spending every penny he makes on a small resort he is trying to establish here in Cayo. That is my way of trying to do my share. We are all entitled to our views and our ways, but not in the way this was done.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 05:27 PM

there is a person who lurks here just to insult folks and cause trouble. he is why we don't show emails. wouldn't surprise me a bit if he is the one who wrote. he is not friendly. very mean. and emails me regularly. ignore his junk. he will impersonate anyone, from a fisherman tourist who didn't ever catch a single fish in weeks of trying, to 40 people wanting reservations, two with wheelchairs, 9 that can't eat bacon, 6 allergic to soap, etc. likes to cause people to waste work as well.

he emailed me a couple days ago and said he was going on the attack. viruses were mailed out in my name. so be aware of this. his goal is to reduce belize tourism little by little by being a virus himself, slowly telling people things are bad, one person at a time.

be aware.
Posted By: Sun&sand

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 06:50 PM

Marty, you should expose this person, so we can all be on the alert. If he's out there, I want to avoid him. There are enough BS'rs out there as it is, and it's good to know who they are. If you can let me know who it is, I'd appreciate it.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 06:56 PM

Pretty much everyone knows who he is, if ya been around this board ( or other BZ boards, for that matter)

M - I was playing Texas Hold em a few weeks ago in an online game - some jerk sat down at the table and immediately became the center of attraction, spewing unpleasantries & nasties all around, generally being an A**H*** - and had the same screen name. Surprised, nah? I called him out on it & he vanished like a desert wind. What a dirtbag.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 07:57 PM

Okay - it seems to me the important thing here is K, did you win big? and how many rounds will be on you?
People, let's get our priorities straight!

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 07:58 PM

ok... ya I DID wink your tab be covered laugh

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 08:01 PM

That's more like it! Now we're talking contributions! That's what this thread is all about, right? laugh

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 08:05 PM

laugh mebbe I need to double/triple it up

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 09:26 PM

Well, I can think of a few that could be the person, but don't want to point fingers if it isn't them. Too bad someone like that has to make it uncomfortable for others.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 09:30 PM

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 09:35 PM

Very true, lawcucui....I don't feel inferior, I feel badly for those who are new to the board and get blasted just for asking a question. Inferior? I think not. Concerned? Probably.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 09:40 PM

Hey there S&S, Eleanor Roosevelt said it - I just happen to think it goes well for most things - inferior, uncomfortable, whatever. I'd like to think most posters here are comfortable enough in their own skin to stay fairly unaffected by comments in a public forum by virtual strangers.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 09:49 PM

I think they are, Law. But we are kinda used to the BS and banter that continue here, and don't think too much of it when it happens. At least I like to think we are all secure enough to handle it. But the people who come on looking for answers to questions don't always get a warm greeting, and I guess I just want them to know we are a friendly bunch, not always the way we present ourselves. OH well, can't fix everything, can we?
Posted By: seashell

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 10:50 PM

Next time a new person comes on and asks a question, you can be our unofficial warm and friendly greeter. That way, they will feel comfortable right off before any ragging starts. How's that sound to ya?
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 11:31 PM

I like Cuba -would prefer to send some people on this board to Iraq

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/14/06 11:31 PM

Fine with me, 'cept I'm not on here as much as most of you. I will be happy to help anyone I can, but again, may not have the answers. Wouldn't it be better if people just answered the questions without the sarcasm? That way no one would be the official "greeter". Everyone could answer the honest questions with an honest answer. After the question has been answered, then the sarcasm could begin.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 02:14 AM

can't really just POINT to this person, he changes his name 200 times a year. and i never know for sure who/what he is. real name is "steve amos" <[email protected] is a long time email address of his> . often has somas in his email address or login name, often signs in here with names like MARTYSUCKS****. he will get yet another yahoo or hotmail email address in the blip of an eye, so the email address he signs in with changes a lot. he's had many many board names. he collects them. real names too i think. Tim Tanner is one real name alias i remember.

way too much history to get into. but suffice it to say board members recognize his style fairly quickly and we get his trash off. he has been all over most belize boards for nearly ten years. he will enjoy very much this public discussion right here and probably email me saying nah nah nah i got you to write about me and i'm controlling your life i own you and whatever.

here's the last one

To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:48 PM
Subject: IM BACK...WATCH WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

right after that several folks got viruses supposedly from me the jpg blackmail virus. no one actually got the virus, most folks have good protection. but folks let me know they got the messages.

sun&sand
the answer is often given within the first 2-4 responses, no matter how much chat comes later.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 02:22 AM

Thanks, Marty. I will watch for him. I realize the answers come, and I'm fine with it. I just felt some responses are harsh, and those are from just a few members, who seem to love being mean and arrogant. I know we all know who they are, so I'll just leave it at that.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 02:26 AM

He emailed me probably about a year ago ( not quite sure how that came about). But anyway, I responded by telling him I had now configured my email box to dump anything coming with that name, addy or any similarity so to stop wasting his time. Worked like a charm. He thrives on controversy. Once he knows you are not going to play his head games he takes his ball and goes home.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 04:04 PM

I'll be your huckleberry Soma.

SIN
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 04:07 PM

I've never heard it! It sounds... neva'mind... wink
Posted By: cracked up

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 04:29 PM

"I'll be your Huckleberry", as phrased by Doc Holliday to Johnny Ringo right before he shoots him.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 06:16 PM

What movie?
Posted By: RMT

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 06:28 PM

Doc Holliday to Wyatt Earp in the movie: Tombstone.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 06:38 PM

Doc speaking to Johnny.
Posted By: RMT

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 06:45 PM

Hmm... I just googled it and it said Wyatt Earp...?? Who knows.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 08:28 PM

Val Kilmer... yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm!

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/15/06 11:48 PM

Aha, there he is, not the one you thought Marty, at least I don't think so! Let him step forward. ( I am assuming this is a guy, women don't do this kind of stuff). You know I have been visiting this board for a long time and have taken all kinds of BS for some of my opinions and I don't mind that, it is the fact that somebody would use my private mail that is totally out of hand, but then again I made my email public, kowing some of this stuff went on, so who is to blame, definately not you! I don't envy you your job! I just wish people would use the "chat" for some of this stuff, would make your job easier. Take care!

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/16/06 12:25 AM

I get mad when people put posts pertaining to "Living in Belize" in the "Other Parts of Belize" category.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/16/06 12:26 AM

Private Message Notification

clover just sent you (kippe) a Private Message at Message Board for Ambergris Caye and Belize.

You are being notified because you are have instructed us to send you a notification each time someone sends you a private message. You can disable this automatic notification in your profile settings on the board.

Here is the message sent by clover:

Subject: private message
--------------------------------------------------

Are you assuming that when someone sends you a private message on this board.....and a copy is sent to your e mail box....that someone has sent you an "email"? If that is the case go to "my profile"....then to "my preferences"....and unclick the box that says send PM to your e mail address........that way a "copy of the private message will not be sent to your e mail address..... PS I do not have your e mail address......the message is routed through this Board.......and your e mail will come from [email protected] Again....no one has your e mail address......just change your "preferences"..........or eliminate Private Messaging altogether.

--------------------------------------------------

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/16/06 12:38 AM

Wow, easy on the ellipsis...

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/16/06 03:06 PM

kippe, why did you post clover's PM to you...? What's the point? confused

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/16/06 04:31 PM

I thought your PM was helpful... hopefully others will see the post.

Re: Belize: We can never repay Cuba’s contribution - 05/16/06 06:08 PM

This is why "travelqueen". I did not post the rather nasty e-mails that precided this one, obviously that would have been a waste of my time, I did post this one so that people using this board AND make their e-mail address available to the administrators would know that they can be subjected to the kind of stuff this fairly new member to this board resorts to. As Marty, who obviously does not personally forward every private message being sent, has pointed out, there is a serious problem with "board hackers" out there and not only with this board. I for one really appreciate Marty's articles and hope that the threads don't deteriorate like this one has, because this obviously has nothing to do with anything Cuba does or does not. However, I did feel that a response was appropriate.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board