AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty VIP 2012 -2013 Campaign Launch - 04/01/11 04:41 AM
Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 8:31am
Fellow Belizeans,

In less than a year we will vote for a new council to serve us from Match 7th 2012 to 2015. This will be our golden opportunity to create real and positive change for our communities!! If we miss this chance, we will suffer 3 more years! This is our chance to make our vote really count!

Over the years, we have experienced both UDP and PUP councils only to find that today our communities are experiencing rising crime, unemployment, poverty, drug use and many social problems. The Paradox is that while the masses suffer, our elected politicians are getting richer!

Hope has arrived! Now you will have more than two choices on the ballot!! The VIP is a group of brave, resourceful and honest citizens who have stepped up to make that change a reality! "We no frayed"! This means we must challenge the PUDP (PUP+UDP)!! Since 2000, the VIP has participated in 4 municipal elections in Belmopan and one General Election in 2008. In 2009, the VIP "whopped" the PUP at the polls in Belmopan to take second place!! VIP is now prepared for Victory in 2012! You too will have this golden opportunity for change!!

VIP is the ONLY Party with a record of Transparency and Accountability in campaign financing, while the PUDP continue to "take money under the table" and refuse to let the public know where their campaign money comes. The VIP is TOTALLY serious about making sure that All Belizeans benefit from the wealth of our nation's resources. After all Belize is for all of us!

As your next council the VIP pledges to continue our commitment to transparency and will:

- Publish quarterly reports of the revenues and expenses of the council!!

- Hold open council meetings for the public to listen and participate.

- Publish the trade license and property tax roll to ensure fairness for all residents.

- Have an "Open Door" policy to the Mayor and all Council information.

Only a VIP council can create a safer, healthier, cleaner and better community by implementing:

- A No Tolerance policy on crime in partnership with Police and residents.

- A Green Initiative to ensure a clean, safe and healthy community.

- A Family Program to provide clean and safe activities for ALL. (Scouts, Guides, sports)

- An Education Plan to assist schools to improve and to make sure no child is left out.

- A business desk to support businesses and attract new investments for a vibrant economy.

VIP is looking for brave, honest and hardworking candidates to join us in the campaign for elections 2012 and 2013. Please feel free to call, text or email us. Together We Can!!!

In humble service to Belize,

Robert A. Lopez

VIP Chairman 2011-2012
Posted By: Marty Re: VIP 2012 -2013 Campaign Launch - 04/01/11 03:00 PM

VISION INSPIRED BY THE PEOPLE PREPARES FOR UPCOMING ELECTIONS

The Vision Inspired by the People political party made history in Belmopan t the last general elections when its candidate scored more votes than the People's United Party candidate. And now the VIP is looking to spread its wings nationwide. During a regular meeting in the nation's capital last night, the VIP's National Executive Committee formally approached the setting up of six standing committees for the party and a move to campaign mode in advance of the upcoming municipal elections next year. Chairman of the party Robert Lopez told Love News, it is the next logical step for the party.

Robert Lopez - Chairman, VIP

"We are now in campaign mode in that the structure needed, the machinery needed to operate efficiently a political party is now in place. We have all the six standing committees; each committee dealing with financing, public relations, communications, rules, ethics, vetting of candidates, comprises of about anywhere between five and seven persons so you are looking at a group of almost around thirty five, forty people. That in itself shows growth, shows seriousness of our party to move forward and to be able to efficiently manage elections at both the municipal and general election level."

Lopez says that VIP is prepared and plans to field candidates in all 31 constituencies. However, if there are independent slates or candidates who share VIP's beliefs, Lopez says the party will endorse those candidates and not run against that person. Love News asked Lopez how the VIP plans on going up against the larger, more established political parties.

Robert Lopez - Chairman, VIP

"We have set a record of the only party being transparent in campaign financing. From the outset in 2003 in fact when Paul and Hubert ran in 2000 they did it; but every election that we have ran in Belmopan, we publish our campaign financing before elections and after elections because we feel and we are not going to compromise on this, corruption starts at campaign financing; it is the money that these parties take in and it brings to memory a quote by the now Prime Minister who said how can we stop the big boys from giving money under the table, well at some time you need to start saying no. VIP is serious about campaign financing; the people of Belize will know where our money comes from and how it is spent, no compromises there. That in itself puts us off on what we feel is the crux of the whole situation we find this country in, a road that is not of our making, a direction that none of us want to see and so it is time for people who are serious about change, positive change, real change, to now step up and be a part of this. We are inviting candidates of like minds, and also dealing with the issues, not personalities. We have always taken the high road when it came to campaign, we never bashed a mayoral candidate in Belmopan and for that reason we were called a different shade of blue when the blues were in and when the reds were in red we were called a different shade of red. I think we have now been past that and people can see that we are not either. We are a people based. In fact our name does not say anything about party, Vision inspired by the people, this is a people's movement because the people come first."

One person who has already come forward to offer himself for elected office under the VIP banner is Marlon Skeen. He wants to be Mayor of Belmopan, and today told Love News that he sees himself doing so on a VIP platform.

Marlon Skeen - Mayoral Candidate, VIP

"There is a dissatisfaction in what is occurring in our country right now and it is something that we tend to feel helpless, we tend to sit on the sidelines and just accept what is happening. I made the choice to stand up and to do something and that something means getting involved. The problem is that getting involved in our country to make a difference means you have to do it politically. That is the way it is set up; the way it was designed we might not like it, but we have to work with it. When I looked around at the current major political parties I really saw nothing that I wanted to be a part of. I then was looking at the VIP and it was very much in line with what I think, what I know the country needs and it is why I decided to investigate it a little more. Moving on from that I joined it and I decided to get involved in Belmopan specifically, I am a Belmopanese through and through, I was born in Belmopan, I am as old as Belmopan and so I said let me start there and do something and who knows what happens next.

Patrick Jones - Reporter

You are going up against the incumbent, a seasoned politician, how do you plan on unseating Simeon Lopez from Belmopan?

"Unfortunately I think he has done that job himself, I am only going to take the seat that he will vacate."

Skeen says his campaign will be based on empowering the people of Belmopan to chart a new way forward for the capital city.

"First of all, it's at this point that you would hear all the old rhetoric, that we need a change, that the party in there hasn't done anything etcetera, that is all well and true but I think Belmopan is a crucial point where we need to grab a hold of it and take charge of it and put it in the direction that it has to go. Right now it has just been floundering. And being in Belmopan from Belmopan started, I have seen the growth of Belmopan. I've seen it start from just a one central site, to new site, to Piccini site, to all the different sites coming on stream. I have seen a lot of things that I like about Belmopan and I have seen a lot of things I do not like or approve of happening in Belmopan. This is my opportunity to get in there and fix those things and make it right.

Patrick Jones - Reporter

You are what is considered a rookie politician, how do you expect...

"I do not like that term politician, I don't consider myself a politician, I am Marlon Skeen and I am a citizen of Belize and I want to do good so I shy away from that politician word, I think it has very negative connotations for everybody. Everybody looks at a politician with mistrust, I think rightfully so, I am not a politician. Yes I am a rookie but I know how to manage and I know how to make a difference and I am up to the challenge and I will win."

Patrick Jones - Reporter How do you expect to perform against established politicians in Belmopan?

"Appeal to the people, it is the people's choice, it is what they want. The people know what they want; not all the time they are able to express it, not all the time they are able to get their message across but the people know what they want fully well. I am appealing to all the people of Belmopan to support the VIP, support Marlon Skeen. Let us do something different. The VIP is a very credible party; we are the opposition party in Belmopan. We came close last time, let us really do it this time Belize, let us get Belmopan and from there we move on to the country."

The other candidate whose application has been accepted is veteran politician and activist Rufus X. His last foray into electoral politics was as an independent candidate in the Belize Rural North constituency in 1989. The is the area where Rufus X has decided to return to electoral politics, and in his trademark firebrand style, told Love News that he will appeal to the grassroots to bring changes to the people of Belize Rural North.

Rufus X - VIP candidate

"When you look at the two major political parties they have been reduced to nothing more than gangs of criminal and I hate to be so crude but that is exactly who they are today. When I look on the people at the people of the Belize rural north, an honour dignified and humble people they are really not getting a fair break. Patrick to be frank, the people of Belize Rural North don't need politicians hand down, they need provision for them, they have a way of life. They are independent people. They want to be dignified people. They want to have jobs, they want to have industries they want to have something to make a living for their family and make a difference in this country.

Patrick Jones - Reporter

Now you're going up against the incumbent is the honourable Edmond Castro and aspirant for the PUP is Arthur Saldivar how do you see yourself fitting in there and getting in among all the messages that those two sides are putting out?

Rufus X - VIP candidate

"I am one of the people in Belize Rural North, Mr. Saldivar is a stranger, very much a stranger and Mr. Castro has already made a fool of himself among his own people so if you talk to these people you would understand that they want neither of these two people to govern their welfare."

Patrick Jones - Reporter What are the issues facing Belize Rural North which you hope to make the focal point of your campaign?

Rufus X - VIP candidate

"Hardship, communication by roads. If you go in those places if you go to Bomba for instance it is hardly passable by vehicle and you find this condition everywhere you go in Belize Rural North, people can't get around. People are in possession of valuable farm land and they can't work it because they don't have the means of getting to work, they have no assistance from Government at all."

The VIP national Executive has authorized the setting up of a full time secretariat to look after the affairs of the party on a day to day basis. During elections held in January, Robert Lopez was chosen as party chairman, while his deputy is Jennifer Arzu. Jude Lopez is the Secretary General of the VIP.

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board