AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Cantico Problems with Importing food products - 02/18/13 11:54 PM
Hello - Does anybody know what happened to the Subway Restaurant in Belize City ? I just read that they had to close because they were denied am import licence to bring in their Private label meats ?? DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE ?
Every International Franchise would have the same problem ???
Maybe the law has changed since then ??
Any help would be appreciated as I am looking into opening an International franchise in Belize ??
Thanks
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 12:00 AM
Doesn't have to make sense. But I don't doubt the validity of the claim.
Posted By: champion Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 12:06 AM
You know, it doesn't make sense other than large countries have a better economic standing and small countries like Belize that have very little to export or have much in the way to create GNP would most likely do what thay did to Subway. They have to find money any way they can. JMO
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 12:52 AM
Ban International franchises! Buy Belizean!
Posted By: klcman Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 01:02 AM
This is exactly why so many of love Belize......no fat-filled, sugar pushing, empty carb offering junk food purveyors.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 01:24 AM
uh Klc, not that I don't love all foods Belizean, but a lot are chalk full of empty carbs...rice, potatoes, bread....just to name a few....worse foods to pack on the pounds!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 01:37 AM
Great veggies.....good meats....
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 02:11 AM
I've been a long-time carb counter. Agreed on the great veggies...chicken and seafood in BZ (Yum!), but beef there is not my favorite. I am an almost weekly visitor to our local Farmer's Market, which sells a lot of organic veggies, so spoiled here at home. (although I still cannot seem to duplicate my favorite veggie omelette in BZ!)

Unforutnately, several favorite tropical fruits are laden with sugar and carbs, i.e. bananas, papayas, guava, etc.

Back to the Subway comment: when you travel a lot, it can be a healthy alternative to pick up a salad, some soup or a veggie sandwich on flatbread. Better than pringles and a fatty hot dog with empty white calorie bread carbs and calories at the airport!
Posted By: ragman Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 04:24 AM
I would think long and hard on trying to open an International Franchise in Belize. Forget about SENSE it is not part of the equation. Look from time to time the local pizza places for one example have had problems buying the proper imported cheese because of government interference.

Personally I'm happy that there are no International Franchises but anyone traveling on the path to try to open one is headed for some serious problems even if they succeed in getting the initial permits in my opinion.
Posted By: klcman Re: Problems with Importing food products - 02/19/13 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by LaurieMar
uh Klc, not that I don't love all foods Belizean, but a lot are chalk full of empty carbs...rice, potatoes, bread....just to name a few....worse foods to pack on the pounds!

tru dat......ssssssssssssshhh don't fuel the fires :
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board