AmbergrisCaye.com Home
The Prime Minister and his team of financial advisors met with the International Monetary Fund on Tuesday to discuss Belize's economic standing. While the I.M.F. looks favorably at the Brice�o administration's success in turning around Belize's economic outlook, the ten percent salary cut which teachers and public officers received last year persists. According to P.M. Brice�o, the Ministry of Finance is still trying to work out an amicable solution for the wage reduction.

Prime Minister John Brice�o

"Let's talk about the reviews from the IMF. Nobody expected our government to accomplish what it did in one year and as I told them, it is not only our work. Yes, we had the ideas and we worked very hard to get it done, but also it included our public officers. I mean, they went through tremendous sacrifice to be able to get us to where we are. Now when it comes to the ten percent, today as we speak, the DPM and Minister of Education, I think Minister Usher is also meeting with the unions to discuss the ten percent. We know that people are suffering, we know that people are punishing, we know that the cost of living continues to go up and it would be unconscionable if we would say, oh no, no, we're not going to because of the IMF. And I told the IMF that we also have a responsibility to our people, our citizens and we're going through a difficult time, it's not only about the numbers, financial numbers, but it is also about people. How will we give them the ten percent? We don't know, that's what we're discussing with them and we feel that we would be able to come up with a compromise that everybody can live with. But that's what they are working on at this moment."

Channel 5
Belize and the IMF; Favorable Review for Brice�o Administration

To address the sharp decline in revenues and the resulting increase in pandemic-related expenses, the Brice�o administration presented a Medium-Term Recovery Plan at the start of the fiscal calendar in April 2021. The objective is to reduce the crushing public debt to eighty-five percent of G.D.P. by 2025 and to seventy percent by 2030 which would be achieved by implementing fiscal consolidation, growth-enhancing structural reforms and debt-restructuring. Since then, significant progress has been made towards restoring debt sustainability, including a debt for marine protection swap to buy back the five hundred and fifty-three million U.S. dollar super bond at a discounted price of fifty-five cents to the dollar. Activities in construction, transport and communication, tourism, as well as wholesale and retail trade are projected to further grow real G.D.P. by six point five percent this year. The unemployment rate has also fallen to nine point two percent since the second half of 2021. Earlier this week, Prime Minister John Brice�o commented on the favorable review his administration has received from the International Monetary Fund which concluded its 2022 Article Four consultation with Belize on Tuesday.

Prime Minister John Brice�o

"Well, if you look, overall we have cut down costs, not only on the wage bill but even in the expenses of running the government. We have managed to cut it down substantially by millions of dollars and the I.M.F. did point that out and commended us for doing that in goods and services. We held the line and saved millions of dollar from that end. We know that people are suffering, we know that people are punishing, we know that the cost of living continues to go up and it would be unconscionable if we were to say no we're not going to because of the I.M.F. and I told the I.M.F. that we also have a responsibility to our people, our citizens and we're going through a difficult time. It's not only about the numbers, the financial numbers, but it's also about people."

Channel 5
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board