AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Hello from the Buckeye State!

Posted By: dbdoberman

Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/07/03 10:40 PM

I have been reading this board for awhile, and by reading current posts and doing searches, have found answers to all my questions. Just deleted a question that was STOOPID! once I thought about it. haha This is a tremendous vacation planning tool, just love reading it. Also have laughed alot, you folks have a great sense of humor, as well as so much knowledge of AC. Bless you for sharing. We will be arriving 3/29 for our first visit to your beautiful island. We are staying at Playa Blanca, as we wanted a dedicated, and quieter, dive resort. Not to say we won't have us a good time in SP. I am looking forward to taste testing rum punches, belikin, and pantie rippers, and checking to see if there are any boarders to meet up with. I know Gaz reads this board, so now he has been warned! wink Hope to bump into a few of you! smile
Posted By: seashell

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/07/03 10:49 PM

Well, that explains what happened!! I was sending my long winded reply when zap!! A big fat error message.

It wasn't that stupid a question. Other than from the perspective of what will be will be, why worry? Worrying is not the Belizean holiday way.

But if you are prone to mal de mar and the seas are a bit rough, I highly recommend that you take something for it before you set out. Gaz sets his guests up with Amigos del Mar on their Pro48 for that trip. It is the most comfortable ride I've had out to the Hole in any weather conditions. Now having said that, I must caution that this boat has more sideways roll than the smaller ones that they used to take out.

The last time I was out, conditions did happen to be rough and we had a couple of chummers on the boat. If you know that you are predisposed to this problem, I also suggest giving some consideration to bringing your own barf bag. Not to put too fine a point on it but it can get kind of crowded over by the garbage can.

Now don't worry about anything more, except maybe what you might pack. Gaz and Andy will take very good care of you and you are going to have the vacation of your life. No doubt you will be as intrinsicallly changed as many of the rest of us.
Chill.

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/07/03 11:04 PM

Thanks SS for not getting too graphic! wink For those wondering, the question deleted was, do Blue Hole trips still go even if there is a stronge chop around AC? I recently read that April can get very windy. As SS said, why worry about it, and that is exactly why I thought it was a stoopid question! Thanks for taking the time to answer SS, and I will dutifully take my anti-chumming meds as you suggest! :p CANNOT WAIT!
Posted By: klcman

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/07/03 11:38 PM

DB - what part of the buckeye are ya from?

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/08/03 01:24 AM

klc, right smack dab in the heart of it all - just east of Columbus. GOOOOOOOO BUCKS!!!
Was there EVER any doubt? laugh
Posted By: seashell

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/08/03 01:58 AM

You are going to have a great time!! The best weather and smoothest seas I have ever experienced down there were during a trip taken in mid-April. There are no guarantees anytime. Just ask those of us that have been down there in the past couple of months. The weather was mostly horrible but we still had a great time.
Posted By: mommy

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/10/03 04:38 AM

DB IM ABOUT AN HOUR NORTH EAST OF COLUMBUS. WE ARE PRETTY CLOSE TO EACHOTHER. CARRIE laugh
Posted By: Lizzard

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/10/03 04:58 AM

Hi DBDOBERMAN,
I have been reading the message board for a couple of months, also. I have found the information to be so helpful and very amusing...
Will be arriving 25Mar and also staying at Playa Blanca for 10 days. Always nice to stay slightly removed from the hustle and bustle, after all it IS a vacation and I love my "down time"...
I'm sure we will run into you there! "Till then try to stay warm! (I know I wont!)
PS-Just curious...Do you breed Doberman's?

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 02:13 AM

Carrie, we are practically neighbors, I know where Wooster is! When are you next going to AC?

Lizzard! I will surely see you around at Playa Blanca! So nice to learn not only is one of the boarders going to be visiting same time as me, but at the same resort! Look forward to meeting you! smile

Nope, do not breed dobies, just have one who is best friend!

Lizzard! you get your hair done by the same stylist as NYGal!!! wink

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 02:31 AM

Hey Buckeyes!

I know where both Wooster & Columbus are. Born, bred and rasied just south of Wooster in the Amish country & bought my first home there. Went to school at OSU - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BUCKEYES -
and lived in jock dorm the last time we won the Nat'l title.

Will be on AC March 6 - 19, maybe leaving a couple days early for a possible biz trip to Italy......either place which will be more pleasant than the frozen tundra from where this is written.

enjoy your stays on AC !

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 02:56 AM

Klc, I wish you were staying longer, would have loved to have met you!

I love the Amish country! It's a little too developed now, but I still love to go there! Italy don't sound too shabby either!

I went to OSU as well! What year were you? errrr....wait, that would date us both, let's not go there wink WE ARE THE NATIONAL CHAMPS! YOU BETTER BELIZE IT!!!! laugh
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 04:04 AM

dbdoberman.................. laugh
Posted By: mommy

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 04:15 AM

db we were going to go down in april but decited to do some work on the house this year so i guess ill have to wait till next year mad unless i can talk hubby into working a hole lot of over time so we can do both!!!! laugh

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 06:32 AM

well darn, mommy, either make him work overtime, or sell the darn house! Get ye to AC! Go the 1st week of april, coz I could meet ya! laugh
Posted By: MurrMaid

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 07:06 AM

Another neighbor here! I'm from Zanesville and we're getting ready to leave for Belize on the 19th of February...still making plans! It looks as if we're heading for Placencia first, taking the Talisman out on the reefs for about 6 days of snorkel time and then finishing up with some time at AC or Caulker. Decisions! Decisions! confused
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 07:38 AM

I went to HS in Cincinnati - does that count?!! Look up Barefoot Skinny when you get to SP - he was conceived in Ohio (does that count?!!)
Posted By: Bonita

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 02:40 PM

I'm from Ohio too!! 30 minutes North West of Dayton usually or Bowling Green when school is in session.... except this semester I'm in the UK
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 02:47 PM

I am from Ohio too. 5 minutes away from downtown Cleveland.Going down May 5th to the 19th.
Jackie

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 03:25 PM

Barb, yep, you qualify! so does barefoot skinny. He was conceived there? hahahaha One of the things I really want to do, is catch this guy's performance. Thanks Barb, for the movie titles, I will be looking for them.

Bonita, like alot of folks in Ohio, I dive Bowling Green area quarries alot. Brrrrrrrrr, prefer warmer water. Cannot wait to get to AC! I am only bringing a polartec dive skin, hope I stay warm. When are you next coming to AC?

o jackie, CLEVELAND ROCKS!! shoot, gonna miss seeing you as well. Wouldn't mind escaping this frozen tundra RIGHT NOW!!! 47 days, and I am counting! cool
Posted By: Bonita

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/11/03 04:27 PM

I'm an August girl, usually the middle of the month after camp gets out (I'm a counselor) and before school starts back up. I've gone the last two years with my mom and we hope to keep the tradition this year......
Posted By: MurrMaid

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/12/03 05:11 AM

O Jackie, guess we just miss each other! I spent part of my childhood in Berea.

At this time of the year do you all recommend taking a shorty wetsuit for snorkels?
Posted By: Doug

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/12/03 06:03 AM

Hey, its like old home week here on the board!! Another Buckeye here, Cincinnati to be exact, home of those State Champion Elder Panthers!!

You'll LOVE AC! As I'm typing this I look on my desk at a little pic of a group of us that were certified there a couple of years ago. I can't describe the great feelings I get when I think back on Ambergris Caye. When people ask us about it we just smile and tell them "itís an Ambergris Caye thing, you wouldn't understand". Don't be surprised when you get back and realize the place and the people grabbed your soul and wont let it go smile

Have a great time and drink a few Belikins for a fellow Buckeye. And donít forget to write us a little trip report so all of us poor slobs that can't be there in person can be jealous.

See ya,
Grawz

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 07:36 PM

ok - back to the top -

so how much snow all you Buckeyes shoveling anyway?

(sitting back with a Belikin in hand and a Barefoot CD on laugh laugh laugh )

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 07:43 PM

Not much, that is what I have neighbors for! wink .No really, I had a house accident :rolleyes: last Monday and I have not been out,at all. Except to see the doctor.
Jackie

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 07:45 PM

rub it in, rub it in! wink around here, about 15 to 18", some parts of the state alot more, some less, and then some areas also got the sleet and freezing rain. If there was ever a time to be AC dreamin', this be it. I'm still better off than AXE and others to the east of here.

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 07:48 PM

We did not get much at all,maybe about 5" or so. Not compared to the rest of Ohio,my friends in Columbus said they got 3 feet. I could never imagine, like back in the day of the 77-78 blizzard.
Ah,yes.AC dreamin'.
Jackie

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 08:00 PM

3 ft in Columbus??? now that I would like to see! Poor souls wont be dug out until ther next OSU/Mich game

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 08:29 PM

House accident?
Not another toe/foot eek
Think AC
smile

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 10:27 PM

Okay, maybe they over did the 3 foot thing, maybe more like a foot and a half.Still snowing and expecting more,here in Cleveland. I am so ready for summer or at least vacation.

My heart goes out to those whos airports are closed in the east, if they planned there vacation to AC at this time. frown

Yes,NYGirl a foot accident. I fell down the steps in my house and tore all the ligaments in my foot eek . This is more painful than the last.

Jackie

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 10:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident Jackie! Maybe Axe could arrange for a "toe" truck! yuck yuck yuck laugh Seriously, that can be painful, take care of yourself. At least you get out of shoveling!

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 10:33 PM

Things seem to be getting more painful each time. OUCH. frown

The storms are now attacking us again.
I can't stand it ! ! !
But, I must remain calm and enjoy life as it is dished out, on a cracked p L A T T e r, there now I feel better. Try it. wink

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 10:35 PM

Isn't he just pitifully, funny? LOL........

Gotta admit it made me chuckle, hope it worked for you Jackie.
wink

( sure now you changed it after I posted ) or should I say, as I was posting. Stop it, LOL, I am having trouble keeping up with you.

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 10:41 PM

wink

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 02/17/03 10:43 PM

A "toe" truck, I love it wink .Thanks db.

Where is Axeman? Still shoveling or resting his back?
smile

Will it ever end?? The snow, the feet accidents.... and whatever else could possibly happen!

Jackie
Posted By: scubatsa

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 03/03/03 07:05 PM

Well born in Galion. Lived there 13 years then onto Tiffin for 5 more. Now I'm just a transpanted Buckeye in Hoosier land. I did buy a lot next to Playa Blanca (retirement home). Been to AC 3 times and going back the first week of June (gotta get those coconut trees just the right distance for the hammocks). Both parents were Buckeye grads so I follow them with a passion and will always be one.
Posted By: Marie

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 03/10/03 03:20 AM

Another Buckeye! I'm from Wellington, went to Oberlin College (class of 1980), and now live in Akron. Have a great trip.
Posted By: JmHanna

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 03/10/03 04:22 AM

Hi Marie,
My Grandmother lived in Wellington(Hanna).
My great Uncle George was the head engineer at the Sterling Foundry. It was the only industry in Wellington at the time.I used to go with him to work on Sat. Creepy place.
40 years ago that would have meant something. S^%$ am I getting old frown
Jim

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 03/10/03 04:48 AM

Hi! It is a small world...do you own the Palapa Bar. I just posted a message about it. My husband and I walked all the way to Capricorn from the Paradise Resort Hotel via the beach. On the way we stopped at you. It is beautiful, what a change over last year. I was told you are new owners. Well, Bravo, its great! Was your grandmother' first or last name Hanna. I grew up there and it sounds familiar. Also, the Uncle's name. Did you live there. I still have my Mom's house there on Taylor Street, but only on weekends. Mostly, I live in Akron. Just got back Tuesday from 19 days in SP (we scuba, and the weather didn't cooperate the last few days, so we walked instead). I had some tired dogs by the time I settled into a chair facing the reef. Ahh. Thanks for having white wine. Its getting easier to find, but not all that easy. Nice place, and a great addition. I wasn't fond of it last year, sand fleas galore! This new reincarnation is terrific!

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 03/10/03 04:52 AM

If you wish, contact me at [email protected] I don't check this site as often as I would like to, but I will again. Glad you wrote!
Posted By: Axeman

Re: Hello from the Buckeye State! - 03/10/03 05:06 AM

The snow has finally melted...I thought it would NEVER end. Fun awhile..BUT...

Today I brought my Bike out...polished the chrome...cleaned all the crannies...Cranked it up and went for a ride...almost 60 today...still wore my leathers though, alittle cool for a t-shirt at 60mph.
Almost as fun as diveing....almost...

Born and raised in Virginia...
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board