AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: RI Laura It's all about respect... some good advice. - 02/14/03 10:52 PM
Hey... Beth and I just returned from our 10 glorious days of vacation in AC and I have plans to document our time there, but there is one great piece of advice that was passed on to us at the end of our stay that I would like to quickly share with other travelers.

Everyone on the island is wonderfully open and friendly, but there are a few folks that were offering some unwanted attention. We struggled for days trying to get one person in particular to leave us alone. Then, one night in Fido's we get to chatting with a man by the name of Stuart. He is a Psychology Professor at the local Medical School. He explained that respect is a big thing for the locals on the island, and therefore we could leverage that. He suggested that if could get heard if we say something like... "you are not respecting me or my space."

The next night, we got a chance to try it out. Someone was being a bit too friendly, so I said, "Hey, no disrespect, but I'm just trying to talk with my friend here." He didn't love it, but he backed away. So... keep this handy tip in mind. Use the word "respect" and you may be more successful. It may come in handy on the few occasions that you need it.

Enjoy your stay!!

P.S. If anyone knows how to contact Stuart (otherwise known as "Doc"), we would really appreciate. Like I mentioned above, he is a Psychology professor at the Medical School. Beth and I would really like to get back in touch with him. Thanks!
Welcome back Laura! I can't wait to hear more about your vacation.
RI... What did this Stuart "Doc" look like?
What happened to my beer?
I've been using that "respect" line in Jamaica for years - it really works. Good to hear it is useful in AC too!
That tip is going to come in very handy. Thanks so much.

Last time I was there, a fella would NOT leave me alone. It didn't matter who I was with (men, women, children), who I was talking to, what time of day it was, where we were, whatever ((middle of day walking down street with a mom and child), he was in my face. I asked him many many times to leave me alone. In fact, the very first time he came up to me, I said "If I were a fisherman and you were a fish, you are so little, I'd have to throw you back" (me meaning he was QUITE young). Still he came on.

Very near the end of my holiday after weeks of this, I was sitting one quiet afternoon at Cholo's having one beer. Martin (works at Cholo's) came over and was sitting with me, we were having a laconic conversation when along comes the fellow. He was leaning over me, smearing it on as usual. I said "Leave me alone, just leave me alone!" He said "Why?" and I said "Because" in a frustrated voice. He said "That's a compound word" I had to laugh and then said "how come you know because is a compound word but you can't figure out the meaning of please leave me alone?" Martin said, "hey, what's the matter with you, didn't you hear the lady ask you to leave her alone?" Still, he just went on and on. I did not make eye contact but I guess I must have said something else to him though I can't remember it being more than "Go away, leave me alone" Suddenly Martin gets up from the table. I thought he was going to physically shoo the guy off but no. He just walked away. Finally, I got rid of the fellow and Martin came back. I asked him what's up with that? He said, well, you kept talking to him. I said "What? You mean I have to not speak to the guy at all?!" And Martin replied "Yes, if you don't want the guys to bother you, you must not speak to them AT ALL" I said "Well, I'll have to figure out some other way, because I don't come down here so that I have to be rude."

So using the "Respect" word might work very well, since I know that "Doc" is absolutely right about the San Pedrano's regard for being respected.
Pedro1: We found you that one day at your internet bar, and assumed we would run into you at BC's or the likes. But, no luck. Next thing we knew it was our last day of vacation! So sorry! I'll have to pay you back some other way... ideas??
I was actually disappointed (should I be with human nature)as you wanted me to do something,which I did,and I am not the most diffficult person to find-so do I believe you-hate to say this, but the answer is no(ps where did you send your emails from).
Come on Pedro, don't you remember what it was like to be on vacation? Time slips away, things that were meant to be done don't get done and then it's suddenly time to go home. It was all too short.

Each time I've returned to San Pedro, I've stayed longer than the time before because there were things that I wanted to do and I believed more time would help me get them done, but no . . .I've still not done 90% of the extra things on my list. Maybe this time, they'll get done because I'm staying for a *shorter* time. wink

By the way, we can debate this and any number of other subjects on Wednesday night, when I arrive at your cafe to start taking advantage of my winnings. Or maybe it will be Thursday . . or Friday . . .hmmm, well, anyway for now, the plan is for Wednesday so we'll see what happens.
Seashell and Chloe tried to meet on AC for several days, and never did. Just played message tag. But we will meet one day.
Laura,
I totally understand the "bothering" thing. Fortunately so far I've only had to deal with it a couple times in Belize. Jamaica it's much worse. I'm glad the respect thing worked for you.
As for Stuart, I might be able to help you or at least get a message to him. Do you know which medical school he works at? MUA or St. Lukes? The director at MUA is a friend and I might be able to give Stuart a message for you when I go down in April.
Posted By: toad Re: It's all about respect... some good advice. - 02/19/03 12:07 AM
i'll bet aretha never has this problem
Peter, I'm sorry you don't believe me and won't accept my apology. I really never meant to offend you, but time really did fly by. I can understand why you would be hurt, but it was not personal. There were a number of things I wanted to do but didn't get to. There were other folks that I've met from AC on past trips that I didn't even get to see once that I had hoped to spend time with. (This motivates me to come back for my 5th time.) wink

I work on a computer everyday, an average of 10 hours a day and therefore never even consider going near a computer when on my vacations. Beth and I came into your place only to see you and not to send e-mails. I didn't even make any phonecalls to home; I was taking a break from all technology. The slow pace and beautiful ocean kept calling to us. We kept planning to swing by, but then more rounds of Belikins would be offered, another conversation would start and then the night would be over.

You may never believe me, but again, I'm sorry.

- Laura
Kathy, I don't know what University Stuart works for. I'll check with Beth. But he is average height, salt/pepper hair and often wearing a cowboy type hat. He's been there for about a year and teaches Psychology. Any help you can give would be great!

Toad, LOL... I wonder what they would have thought if we just starting belting out "R-E-S-P-E-C-T... find out what it means to me!!..." Maybe that would have chased them away! laugh laugh
Peter, are you the guy with the white dog?
I think I met that guy if he's the same one, white haired guy with a dog that looks better than him. Am I correct?
Laura, Sounds like it's probably MUA since it's been open about a year...email me at [email protected] with a message and I'll see what I can do for you.....sounds like you would just like to say thanks?
I'm really hoping this is not the same guy. One time I was there dancing at Fido's and this guy was EXTREMELY rude to me. He had an accent and I thought he was from Australia or something. Anyway, he was quite rude to me and made some comments that made me want to be quite unladylike. I'm really hoping this isn't the guy, cuz I might deck him next time I see him. wink
Beckey, Did this guy wear a cap with a lot of decorations on it ?
No cap, just a white dog at his side. Hopefully, it's a different guy, they called him Peter the Cheater.
We might want to buy ringside tickets for this round.
Hope this isn't being catty, I just was curious to find out if it was the same guy who was rude to me. Anyhoo, in the end it doesn't matter. Won't stop me from coming back to AC, hopefully in May. smile
Chloe, Just in fun...... Keeping an eye out
eeek, where this be goin? wink
Becky if ya come late March instead of May, Mags can drive us around lookin for him. lol
im... where be that plane? Your eyes are a "buggin" me. hehe wink When you goin to the Island again? Or must we wait till June to meet ya? laugh
Dan, I have been trying to get back since the middle of Jan. Things just keep popping up. But, I will be back as soon as I can get things in line here.
Laura you are quite correct I think you made and innacted promises thst you never intended to keep,and Becky yes it was me,I bought you drinks,and you had ,in my opinion, no sense of humour but I apologise if you thought I was rude
Peter Peter, I must have a sense of humor, I danced with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not go into the rude things you said in your drunken stupor, but believe me, you need the sense of humor. Case closed, no more bickering, uncle, you win!!!! Ha!!!! mad mad mad
YEH< BECKEY !!!!!!!
Wow, Peter... you sure know how to make friends! I'm guessing that you actually like to get folks going, and that you get a jolt out of it. You just look for the opportunities and I happened to give you an opening. It's the negative attention thing. Sigh. You really need to lighten up. Life is too short and this is just not important enough. Maybe you need to step away from the computer and take a walk on that beautiful shoreline you have there. It may give you some perspective. I have no more to say. frown

Everyone else... thanks for the backup!! smile
Peter is just being Peter. One never has to wonder what Peter is thinking, he tells us loud and clear. I have experienced his out spokeness in person, and actually he is entertaining, if one is has thick skin.

Lan, is great giving all visitors information.
Lan promotes Belize big time, we all depend on his information and so will future visitors.
His books are on my desk.
Was the dog equally congenial?
The dog was a sweetheart, didn't have any control over the company he was keeping.
Peter is a jerk, he just can't help it.
Laura you asked three times for me to send you a couple of guides,which I did,it is not the money,it is the thought and kindness that was not recipricated-its all about respect(does this sound familiar)
Becky I am still trying to place you(not really)did you not have a friend and did you both not come into the Internet bar, and drink for free most nights.I seem to remember you were both married,unaccompanied and firtatious -was this you?
HA !!!!!!
Nope, this is me:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/56818790/56821202ZSwlrf

Happily divorced and if I was flirtatious, it must have been with your dog.

P.S. If I knew where your internet cafe was I might have done something really classy like teepeed it with toilet paper.

P.S.S. I'm sure you get a lot of business with that sunny disposition of yours. smile

P.S.S. By the way, I've went to Belize 3 times last year and stayed at BB oceanview, I really don't think I need to sell myself short by looking for free drinks from some guy who looked like Rod Stewart's dad. Thanks anyway.
I'm glad you posted that, loved seeing all those smiling faces! Looks like fun was had by all smile
This is great!!!
You folks have no idea how many times I have slammed my fingers in the door so as to refrain from jumping on this topic.
You can only dig a hole so deep on this sand dune before you drown.
cool
sitting on your fingers really hurts sometimes doesn't it Jim laugh
Peter...if we haven't already, I'd like to meet you while we're down. We dont ever go to the "Internet Cafes" , but will to send some e's to my family etc....what do ya say??? Meet us at Holiday???? I believe we know each other , but apologizies to you if I don't remember!!! laugh laugh See you SOON!!!! C.....be kind, for what you put into this (your) world you will get back.... threefold!! I believe it's called karma!!?? Angel Blessings-C
If Pedro has to rely on Karma... sorry pal you are screwed.
What fun,I havent smiled so much in hours,after reading all the posts, got quite a chuckle out of it...May the wind always be at your back, and the ground rise to meet your feet.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board