AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Sharks Bar

Posted By: Danl & the Boop

Sharks Bar - 02/16/03 04:12 PM

Hi Ya-all;
I've just been musing around and discovered that the old "Tackle Box" has been replaced by the "Sharks Bar". This used to be a good place to while away some time, but I don't see any comments here on the board. confused confused confused
Dan'l (6 days and counting)
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/16/03 05:06 PM

I like Shark's Bar. It is a cool little place. I believe Barefoot Skinny plays there one night a week too. Have a great time!
Posted By: Ms. Coconuts

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/16/03 05:38 PM

Oh yeah, it's a great place, especially if you enjoy watching ocean animals trapped in a small, shallow area... mad
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/16/03 05:45 PM

why are they allowed to do that there? thought the area was all about marine preservation??? mad

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/16/03 05:59 PM

Ms. Coconuts - don't know what you mean about ocean animals. When I was there, I only saw one nurse shark in the pen - still like the bar anyways!
Posted By: margarita

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/17/03 12:37 AM

I did not enjoy seeing the sea turtles and sharks locked up at the tackle box. I am glad that is over. The bar does have live music sometimes and you can still catch a nice breeze over the water.
I believe it is under new ownership & management since the tackle box days.
See the turtles & sharks out by the reef!
Belize it!
Posted By: RI Laura

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/19/03 04:08 AM

The fish, turtles and sharks are still there in the tank at Shark's Bar. We had dinner by the tank about 2 weeks ago, and I have to agree that I wish they would instead just highlight the fish that choose to swim by the open area in the dock and not fence them in like they do. They were interesting to see, but it was with mixed feelings.

The bar looks alot like the old tackle box though. The boat bow is back and the belikins are as cold as ever. I don't think Skinny plays there; at least he didn't during the time we were there. The Punta Boys play on Tuesday nights though and that is always fun.

(I've been back less than a week, and just shoveled 18 inches of snow from my driveway! Augh!)
Posted By: M-A Gaffney

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/19/03 03:34 PM

I liked it best when it was RASTA RIDDIMS.

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/19/03 04:11 PM

RASTA RIDDIMS ? confused When was that?
Well, we'll be there on Saturday and let you know what we think when we return.
Thanks for all the input smile smile smile
Dan'l (3 days and counting the hours (77) now.)
Posted By: M-A Gaffney

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/19/03 08:54 PM

For a short time in 2000, Ras Albert Gill & Maralyn ran the bar.

R.I.P.
Posted By: seabreeze

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/20/03 03:48 PM

I think it is funny how everyone will get really worked up about something trivial on this board and the fact that someone locks up sharks and other marine life does not stop people from eating and drinking at sharks bar. Maybe we need to start hanging animal hides from the walls. If you want to sea marine life go snorkelling! If you want to see marine life in a cage go to sea world.
I guess this falls into the same category as the Fish traps,lobster traps and daily fishing in the Hol Chan Marine reserve.

Just a thought.
Posted By: seabreeze

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/20/03 03:50 PM

I forgot to add that if we really wanted to pack'm in they could always have someone jump into the tank and fillet the shark while onlookers cheered.

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/20/03 04:40 PM

To return to the original light hearted intention of this thread :p back in the early 80's when the British army were stationed in Belize it was a Saturday night ritual to throw one of the soldiers into the tank with the sharks. eek Allan would make sure they were allways well fed on Saturdays. smile
Dan'l
Posted By: Ms. Coconuts

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/21/03 07:56 AM

First off, Danl, I'm sorry to take away from your light hearted discussion about Shark's Bar. But I think by this time your already off in San Pedro and couldn't care less...

However, this is a subject I am very passionate about. If you have ever had the privilage of swimming with a shark, I think you know what I am talking about. Sharks were not meant to be incarcerated in a small, shallow area. In addition, there is no need for Shark's Bar to do this; the waters around San Pedro are filled with exciting marine life.
(I'm not even going to address the notion that they may have sea turtles. Not only would this be a horrify ethical problem, being that they are an endangered species, it would be a legal problem. I have to belive they do not have sea turtles in their cage as well).

If you believe it is acceptable for them to keep sea creatures in their cage write them and tell them so.

If not PLEASE write them at:

excalibur@btl.net

Nevermind, this is not a working email address. mad

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/22/03 03:54 AM

:rolleyes: WRONG :rolleyes:
We're just getting ready for an early night and will be in San Pedro about 2:00 or 3:00 PM Saturday. laugh laugh
Ms. Coconuts; Sorry to disapoint you, I do care, but I thought this forum was for information and chatting, not for preaching. But now that the soapbox is out I wish people would spend more time and money on helping the human race get along and let the other animals look after themselves. frown
This will be our last entry till we return but I will check out the postings if I can. cool cool
Dan'l & the Boop (17 hours and counting) laugh

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/22/03 06:20 PM

Geez, Ms. Coconuts - I wonder what you think about places like Sea World? On second thought, I don't want to know.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/22/03 07:17 PM

Have fun guys!!!!!
I know you will!!!!!
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/22/03 07:31 PM

I loved Rasta Riddims too. The fact that Albert and Maralyn freed the sharks and other creatures that were penned was icing on the cake. You'll get information here, and facts, opinions, etc. FREE THE MARINE ANIMALS AT SHARK'S BAR!!! Its tacky and cruel-just like Seaworld is. Ick.
Posted By: sanpedroslim

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/25/03 06:26 PM

They release the sharks etc. all the time. If all u want to do is complain about AC go to Florida! No one cares about a gringos passion!!
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/25/03 08:12 PM

Whatever dude. Many folks care about where a gringo spends her money honey. I love AC, passionately, including her wildlife.
Posted By: AZ Diamondbacks

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/25/03 10:29 PM

What's up with San Pedro Slim? Get off the bottle. Are you from Belize or a gringo transplant? Without the tourist dollars from us gringo's, I'm sure that your lifestyle would be severely impacted. Lighten up!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Sharks Bar - 02/26/03 03:34 AM

well, probably because sharks bar is about much more than its aquarium. compared to many aquariums in the world, in bars or wherever, its way fish-friendly.

i'm very eco minded, but i don't have a beef with the tank/corral/whatever you wanna call it. i have one at home that is far more confining that that one will ever be.

c'est la vie.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board