AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: We5play Tour Help - 03/14/03 04:55 AM
Thank you for all the advice on where to stay- now I need help on what to do. I have found that prices of hotels and food seem to be reasonable. I am having a bit of trouble finding some reasonably priced tours on the web. There will be 5 of us,so a tour at $125 each makes it a very expensive day. Any thoughts on how I can get tours at a bit lower pricing. We will be traveling at the "off" season.
Thanks- Mo
Posted By: B_b_f_b Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 05:00 AM
I've always found there's no harm in asking for what you want. What's the worst they can say? Odds are they might give you a discount. Also, when you get to the airport, if you fly over with Tropic Air they usually hand out this little book of coupons, sometimes there is a coupon for certain tour operators. Can't hurt to look into it.
Posted By: KathyMLT Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 05:20 AM
Hi,
Unfortunately except for some snorkeling and picnic tours most major tours are on the mainland...The snorkeling, catamarran and some picnic things around AC run from around $25, $55 and $75 or $85. This might be an option for you. If you want to go to the ruins or cave tubing you may be able to get a discount for the kids. I'm not sure where you have decided to stay but if you are thinking of Banana Beach you could email the Monkey Business Travel Shop there and they will help answer your questions. There is a possibility that you can get a discount based on your group size since most tours require a minimum of so many persons to begin with.
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 06:11 AM
Hi! Do you want to mostly see AC and Caye Caulker, or do you hope to go inland? If you want to go inland, and it sounds like that, it's very worthwhile, and as many as there are of you, you might want to consider renting a car in Belize City, rather than going right to AC and going back and forth from there on tours. I haven't rented a car in a while, but I think we always used Safari right at the airport. I'm not sure if they are still in business. If not there are plenty of other places. If you book by email, you should save some money. Belize is not a large country, so you can get a lot of miles in in a day, I'd suggest heading West on the Western Highway towards San Ignacio, and you could stop at your leisure. The Belize Zoo is charming. As you go West, you will see lots of jungle lodges. Save them for the return if you want an overnight. Belmopan is pretty homely, really not worth a visit. You could stop at Guanacaste Park. Its pretty, but not spectacular. Go on to San Ignacio (interesting bridge) and head right to Eva's. Ask for the guy who runs it, as I recall Bob, he's 'information central for the area'. He will call the jungle lodges for you if you wish to stay there a night or two on your return, or the lodges down Mountain Pineridge, or anything else in the area. He regularily gets 50% off if they are slow, and they are this year. He has an email. He can arrange for everything, horse rides, cave tubing, etc. If time is a constraint, from San Ignacio, go to Xunantunich, the most accessible Mayan site of significance. Be sure to go there -very worthwhile. North of that is Clarissa Falls, beautiful. Also, a little restaurant there makes the best Relleno and Chimole ever. Great site. You could even stay there. You could do that in 2 nights, one if you really pushed it. If time is not a constraint, I highly suggest going to Mountain Pineridge, at least as far as the Five Sisters Lodge (over 5 waterfalls of the same name). There's a lot else to see and do in that area. Then you pop back to BC, drop off the car and hop the next plane to AC. Tropic and Maya alternate, so there's a fight every hour and half hour. Next thing you know, your in San Pedro, on to a very different part of BZ. Back in SP, most things you do there are on foot. If you want to see Caye Caulker there's a boat by, as I recall Shark's Bar that will take you. Very cheap. Makes a good day trip. Hope this has been helpful to you. Have a great time.
Posted By: We5play Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 06:29 AM
Marie- You are such a wealth of information. I appreciate your expertise. Do you live on the island or have you visited a lot? If my husband comes along we will try the driving. I am not keen on driving in any foreign place. Are there locals who might drive you around, say in a van? We recently went to Bali and with there being 4 of use we were a tour- we got locals to drive us around for the whole day and it was very reasonable. I would definitely like to see the mainland, islands...everything! Thanks again-
Maybe you can tell me what the drinking age is on the island? Is there one? Thanks - Mo
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 07:22 AM
Hi Mo! Thanks for the compliment. It's my pleasure. I'd love to live on the caye, to get me out of these cold northern winters! Burr! No, I just love the place. We visit for about 3 weeks a year. We just returned last week...sob! I'm looking for three months one day! My interest is twofold, (1) Before I went back to college, I used to be a Sales Agent for 10+ years with Pan Am, now I still travel and like to share it for fun. (2) I fully believe independent travel is much better than tours because you almost always get way better rates especially for families, and its more fun if you're at all adventurous, you and the kids laughing your heads, finding new places. Re you driving. Not to worry. Drag the husband if you can, but you can do it on your own if needs be. These are very unpopulated roads with some exception in BC. How old are the kids? Note when you get here...you hardly ever hear a kid cry. These folks coddle kids to pieces!

Belize City is a little dicey, but the whole country is overall very safe. And, most folks speak English. It really is easy driving...just three main roads, and if you went to San Ignacio, all paved. In fact, most of them are now, except, I understand, far south. Back 'in the day' there were some hellish roads south! Once you get to San Ignacio, Bob at Eva's will find you a great deal..I've used them several times. So much cheaper than a tour. Sure, you run the risk of some problems, but I remember the difficult times (like when we were surrounded by a big herd of Brahmas in Costa Rica, and the bull looked really displeased with us) as the best memories of all! Try to go inland if you can. It's so worthwhile! Re drinking, I think I remember seeing a sign at the palapa at where I stay having a sign saying '18'. I'll check that tomorrow. Re vans...I've never done it, but I'm sure its possible. Let me see what I can find, but I think you'd like the freedom better. I'll get back to you on these tomorrow. When are you going, and how long? Have fun planning. More later! Oh, if you have some time and you are going inland, get Emory King's most recent "Driver's Guide to Beautiful Belize'. He's at Emory King, P. O. Box 107, Belize City, Belize, Central America. I'm looking on one of my old ones for the price, and I don't see it, but it was cheap. Maybe $15US. You might find it at the airport, but if there is time, write. I wouldn't take a chance getting it there. It makes the roads so easy. Good maps, tells you what mile from BC is. Excellent aide. M
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 01:18 PM
You mentioned a van. Our favorite van taxi driver on the mainland is called Spanish (real name: Eliso Alamilla). He is originally from San Pedro, but has driven a taxi on the mainland for decades; he lives near Belize City. He would give you a day rate (probably $150-175ish US) and he could tell you how many places you could reasonably see in one day from your list. He could pick you up at Municipal Airport, flying from San Pedro (that is half price from flights to Goldston). You could call him at home, after 7PM Belize time, 225-3770 for information and pricing. He has a van; not sure the AC worked last time we were there, but it was comfortable riding. Spanish is an interesting man and is a wealth of information. You could cost out the flights to Municipal and his cab fare (or rental car costs if you drive) vs. the day trip costs from San Pedro. Visiting multiple sites on the mainland with Spanish or a rental car in one trip might be more cost effective than multiple day trips from AC that usually visit 1 main site per trip. Happy family time.
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 06:23 PM
Hi Mo! Ok, got one part of the information I am trying to gather. Go on Emory King's Guide to Beautiful Belize. Then, under Matching sites, click on Emory King's Books on Belize. You can get it off the internet. That'll save some time. It's $12.50US. It's a year 2000 edition, I also wrote to see if a newer one has been done yet, haven't heard, will let you know. That very well might we the last recent one. We met Mr. King a few years ago at Municipal Airport. What a genial guy. But, he is aging and he may be doing less writing now. Mr. King is what the character. I think he moved here from the US in the mid-1950's. If part of your kids time here is 'learning time', be sure to order history of Belize books for them. A pleasant read, and very informative. Have fun planning.
Posted By: We5play Re: Tour Help - 03/14/03 10:56 PM
Thanks Marie and Sandy- Is the Municipal the airport in Belize? I will need to get a good map for all of this planning. I am so looking forward to our trip. My children are 9, 11 and 16 (he wouldn't consider himself a child!) They are great travelers. We took a trip to Bali and the trip time to get there was 29 hours! Not a peep out of any of them. They travel well so it should be easy. I think they will enjoy Belize and AC. I read on a message board (not sure where) that the writer liked Belizean Shores for families. Are you familiar with this hotel? If you have any info on it that would be great.
I will look into getting that guide. I just got some info on a book called San Pedro Cool. Kind of funny, because in all of the world it happens to be printed here in NC where I live!
Thanks for the help- I am sure that I will have more questions as time goes on. If anyone knows about the Belizean Shore that would be great!!
Posted By: evening Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the info! I haven't even made my first trip yet (Tikal and AC next month), but am already planning the repeat visit inland and maybe down to Placencia or one of the atolls for Thanksgiving. Will print and save all your information. As an Eva, I'm really curious about this Eva's place I keep reading about!
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 02:46 AM
Hi Mo! I believe there is a 2003 book from Mr. King on the roads. I emailed, and am waiting for a reply. Hope to get that and the other stuff to you tomorrow. Don't know a thing about Belizean Shores...other folks will have to help you with that. As you know, having read many of my postings, I vote for the Paradise Resort Hotel. Very neat Belize atmosphere. It all depends on what you like. I'm not into lots of people (although everywhere there were less this year). It's really laid back. Do check the web site, and you can see if it will work for you. Have a great time.
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 02:53 AM
Hi Evening. Eva's is a funny place. I've never met an Eva there, but probably there was one years ago. We've been going 9 years on and off. I may be wrong, but they were, I think, the first web site in Belize. An ex-pat Brit and his Belizean wife run it. As I recall, Bob is his name. They have a web sit ([email protected]). He can find you some great deals in the area, if you are willing to gamble a bit. Tourism is down this year, so shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if he does that over the internet...never tried that. We just sauntered in, told him what we were interested in, and he made the call anywhere in Cayo. Have fun!
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 03:07 AM
Hi Mo,

>Is the Municipal the airport in Belize?<
Municipal is the local airport, located on the edge of the city by the sea. Landing on the airstrip is like landing on an aircraft carrier - with water on 3 sides of the runway - fun experience. Your International flight will arrive at Goldston airport. The 2 are about 20 minutes driving time apart. Flights between San Pedro and Municipal are 1/2 price of the flights between San Pedro and Goldston. In fact, you might save some worthwhile money by taking a taxi from Goldston to Municipal when you first arrive in country to fly to San Pedro from Municipal. They have taxis at Goldston or you could schedule Spanish to meet you at Goldston. Probably about $30 to taxi from Goldston to Municipal; another poster may have updated prices.

>I read on a message board (not sure where) that the writer liked Belizean Shores for families. Are you familiar with this hotel? If you have any info on it that would be great.<
We have visited BS several times but never slept there. It is a very nice place that works hard at outstanding guest service. They have a terrific pool and nice beach. There was still some construction on-going last visit, but it was walled off from the condos. If you stay at BS, recommend you ask for the condo closest to the beach on the northern tip of the U, the condos are layed out in a U, - it receives the best breeze and at that time was away from the construction. You would be a 10-15-ish minute boat ride from town.

Thanks for your appreciative comments - I think you all will have a great time!
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 03:47 AM
Mo, Municipal is one of the airports. You will fly into the International airport (Goldson) from wherever you are coming from in the States. If you go to San Ignacio direct from there, before coming to AC, you will rent a car at Goldson and go on. If you go to AC first, then fly back to rent a car you can come into Municipal and return the car there and go back to AC(of course, going back and forth more costs more money and probably less car deals at Municipal, but I think...maybe that's where I remember Safari at, come to think of it). You can also fly into International from AC and do the same (check the deals - and don't worry about it sounding huge - there are three or four gates - that's it). Again, if you are going West at all, my suggestion is to just hit the road the day you land in the country, then finish up the trip in laid back AC. Have a great time.
Posted By: We5play Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 05:36 AM
Thanks- I am looking into the Paradise Hotel ( I e-mailed them onthe 6th but haven't heard from them- I will try again) and Ramon Village. I also put out some e-mails about houses that are for rent. Let me know about the roads book if you get any further info. Thanks- Mo
Posted By: Marie Re: Tour Help - 03/15/03 09:08 AM
Hi Mo! Just read this..Yipes..I'm surprised my "Paradise" didn't respond quickly, i've found they always do. Try again. I imagaine they don't pay attention to this site. I'll send a note to them, too. Don't give up, it sounds like just what would work for you and your family. I'm so fond of the place.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board