AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Pica Pica

Posted By: dbdoberman

Pica Pica - 03/23/03 04:03 PM

After reading about pica pica on the boards, I realized I might get there at a prime time for these critters (next Saturday). I haven't packed vasoline or calomine! For a little info on pica pica:

http://www.greenreefbelize.com/reefbriefs/briefs14.html

Has anybody had the pleasure of experiencing pica pica?
Posted By: Marty

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 04:23 PM

they don't bother me. i get sent into them to get the volleyball etc cause they just flat leave me alone...

also more info here:
//AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/town/picapica.html

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 04:26 PM

thanks Marty, made me itch.........
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 04:45 PM

Marty, since you do not have an ounce of body fat, makes me think, that is the secret, to avoiding pica pica. No tight fitting swimwear.
wink
Posted By: margarita

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 04:57 PM

Suntan lotion all over (before swim suit) protects me from pica pica.
Belize it!
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 05:00 PM

calamine works ok, but consuming non-food items such as dirt, clay, paint chips, plaster, chalk, cornstarch, laundry starch, baking soda, coffee grounds, cigarette ashes, burnt match heads, cigarette butts, and rust, glue, hair, buttons, paper, sand, toothpaste, soap, oyster shells, and broken crockery also repels the little buggers.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 05:24 PM

big laugh, broken crockery huh?
Posted By: Danl & the Boop

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 09:45 PM

We just got back two weeks ago, and Betty got the dreaded Pika Pika while snorkeling. She went to the Lions clinic and Dr. Theresa gave her some pills and cream and it cleared up in about a week. It seem they are a couple of weeks early this year.
The little buggers live in the top three inches of the water and wait for snorkelers, then they get under the bathing suit and if you don't wash with soap and fresh water as SOON as you can they dig into the skin and make little sores like chicken pox. Betty had sun tan lotion on but it didn't seem to stop them.
They didn't seem to bother me, but I am prone to eating lots of broken crockery and stuff.
By the way the Lions have a B.B.Q. twice a week at their den on Front St. and this is how they raise the funds for the clinic. smile smile Great way to help a worthy cause. wink
Posted By: seashell

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 10:39 PM

www.nidaria.com

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 10:47 PM

thanks SS, do you know if any of the AC diveshops stock SafeSea?

Re: Pica Pica - 03/23/03 11:00 PM

Sorry, I don't know for sure, but I think it's pretty safe to say, they don't.
Posted By: Marie

Re: Pica Pica - 03/24/03 06:17 AM

Yipes! No wonder I like this site. You guys are seriously all lunatics. Broken crockery??? Alrighty! And my husband that I was weird!
Posted By: Marie

Re: Pica Pica - 03/24/03 06:20 AM

That was.........thought....I was weird. Which, I am. Who else who answer these things!

Re: Pica Pica - 03/24/03 11:44 AM

thanks for always being helpful SS. I ordered some to try it out, maybe it won't be necessary.
Posted By: Victoria

Re: Pica Pica - 03/24/03 07:21 PM

I've heard that the pica pica only last a few weeks each year .... so if they are there now does that mean they'll be gone by May 18 when we go? Thanks!
Posted By: evening

Re: Pica Pica - 03/24/03 08:01 PM

is pica pica the same as what they call agua mala (or sea lice) in Mexico?

Re: Pica Pica - 03/24/03 08:03 PM

doberman, you are very welcome. Also, you can purge your octo too, shortly before surfacing and the airbubbles will clear a space at the surface before you rise through it. That should help a bit too, if the jellies are plentiful.
Posted By: Axeman

Re: Pica Pica - 03/25/03 12:23 AM

Evening..I believe so.
Posted By: Wezzie

Re: Pica Pica - 03/25/03 07:10 AM

One site said that the jellyfish are around from March to June and the pica pica are around all the time. Is this true in your experience(s)?
Posted By: ejbpesca

Re: Pica Pica - 03/26/03 10:37 PM

What's a pica pica anyway? What we have here in LA (lower Alabama) is sea nettles. A kind of jelly that will release its stingers into the water so you can get hit without seeing a thing. Is a pica pica like that?
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Pica Pica - 03/26/03 11:18 PM

FYI you can use the search function of this board and find the answers to all your questions without having to go thru all this again.

Go to "pica pica warnings" under the Ambergris Caye section and you will find all the info you need. Many questions were asked and answered and Marty posted the link to the newspaper article describing it in detail.

PS: each year is different. So far this year, it has not been bad. That's the good news. The other is the year is just starting.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board