AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Which one? I think I have narrowed down to these four places, but which one is better. There is only my husband and myself, but I want ocean front room, with a decent beach. Any advice would be appreciated...
B
A
N
A
N
A

B
E
A
C
H

smile
I have stayed at both Journey's End and Banana Beach. Both are excellent in their own respects.
However, if a nice beach is your main concern I would go to JE. The beach at Banana Beach is kind of small an can get kind of crowded. Also the building starts to shade the beach in the later afternoon. We stayed in one of the beach front cabanas at JE for our honeymoon three years ago and loved it. Very simple but nice accomodations. No phone or TV in the room. Just a small fridge and a AC. JE is quite a ways north of town but we had no problem getting to and from town using the water Taxis. We went to AC last month with a group of 11 and stayed at Banana Beach. Much more modern than JE. We had a full kitchen and cable TV and phone. Staff was excellent and went out of their way to make sure we had a great stay. Both places are great. It just depends on what you want. Let me say again it has been three years since we stayed at JE so the accomodations may have changed some. On our recent trip we did take our golf cart down to JE and the beach just a nice as it was when we stayed there. Hope this helps....
I have never stayed anywhere but Banana Beach and love it. The ocean front suites are my favorite. Very clean, nice veranda to sit out on, air conditioning, full kitchen etc.etc. As far as the beach getting crowded I think it depends on when you go..or maybe I've just been lucky....I've been there in May, November and late December and have never really experienced a 'crowded' beach area....alot of people sit around the pool. I will admit that the building does shade the area in the late afternoon but sometimes that is a wake up call for me because I will tend to stay in the sun way too long..and I can't really vouch for the beach area at Journeys end but alot of the beaches on AC aren't picture perfect because there is alot of seagrass around, but the beach at Bananas isn't bad...and if you get the ocean front suite you are fairly close to the sea and it's nice to be able to just open the window and hear the waves lapping or if there is a storm out to sea hear them hit against the seawall.Well, that's my soapbox on Banana Beach.....I love it, i love the staff and only 19 more days til I return.....; )
I've heard very good things about Xanadu.
I don't think you can say one is absolutely best in every way, and you have to factor in price. For example, I really like Xanadu (haven't stayed there but have looked at a number of the units) but it is generally at a higher price point than Banana Beach. Banana Beach I also like a lot, especially the seafront rooms, some of the non-seafront suites are great values, and the management and staff there are terrific, but it is a larger place (60-some rooms and units now). Journey's End is on North Ambergris and is an entirely different kind of property. Tropica has a top beach setting though it has only rooms, not suites, and in general doesn't rate as highly as Xanadu or Banana Beach in several ways.

--Lan Sluder
Originally posted by IScubaSlo:
Which one? I think I have narrowed down to these four places, but which one is better. There is only my husband and myself, but I want ocean front room, with a decent beach. Any advice would be appreciated...
For additional information about Xanadu Island Resort, please contact me direct at [email protected] or [email protected]. I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Susan Glaze
Office Manager
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board