AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Two Single Guys - Take II

Posted By: Daylon

Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 05:57 AM

Thanks so much for all the help and pointers for making my first trip to Belize a success.. (esp Seashell!)

Okay...looks like it'll be Steve and Becky's.. (Or Ramon's? WHat's the difference between the two? Anything to make you pick one over the other?)

Also noticed that May is prime month for Tarpon fishing!! (bonus!)

Blue Hole dive looks like a must do, I'll take your suggestions and go with Amigos Del Mar for the scuba angle...

I'm sure we can fill up the other two days somehow. ;-)

Welpers..only thing to do now is find my diving certification card...

We'll be down there May 14th-18.. and if any of ya are down there when we are, the first drink is on me.

Thanks again!

Daylon
Posted By: Bonita

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 06:23 AM

Steve and Becky's is across the street from Ramon's and is made up of cottages. They are owned by Ramon's so you get to use the pool and beach and charge your drinks from the Purple Parrot to your room. Steve and Becky's isn't on the beach but the rooms are cheaper. The units at Ramon's are thatch and a little more expensive but you don't have to cross the street to get to the beach. I've stayed at both and really enjoyed both times. We met tons of very fun very interesting people while staying there and the staff is great. There are websites for both places on this sight under lodgings. And you can check out my pics at: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4093829
Enjoy!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 09:56 AM

Wow, thanks Daylon . . .but I gotta tellya . . .I don't think you should stay at Steve and Becky's.

Not your first time anyway.
Posted By: mobunny

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 04:56 PM

Hi, We stayed at Ramon's for our first time in San Pedro just this March. We had a beachfront cabana. It was amazing. The staff was very very friendly and helpful (We love you Tony!) The grounds are beautiful. Lush vegetation and flowers everywhere. The pool is like a jungle paradise. Our little front porch was literally 25 feet from the water and framed in palms. I would lie in bed at night and look out my window to the moonlit ocean. It was just an incredible experience. All the tours will pick you up at the pier. If you snorkle, there are hundreds of fish at the artifical reef athe end of the pier. The location is convenient to everything. We both loved staying there and when we go back next year we will stay there again.
Posted By: kayesscee

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 07:42 PM

I'll be here, Daylon. I'll have a rum and Coke light. Thanks. wink
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 08:16 PM

I have to agree with Seashell about Steve & Becky's. Although it is very nice, I think for the money you can do better. Being able to use Ramon's pool was a plus, but several places have pools and are just as nice for less.
After exploring places last year (we only had a few days on AC) I chose Banana Beach for my trip this year. I like the location, not right in town but still close, and the pool looks great. We also walked around Caribe Island and liked it.

And now for the drink order cool Jackie swears I will get hooked on her favorite Banana Coladas so I better have one of those!
Posted By: Debbie

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/04/03 08:28 PM

Caribe Island is AWESOME. No doubt about it. It has EVERYTHING you could possibly want and more. You wouldn't be disappointed here..

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/05/03 04:10 AM

I like Caribe Island too but I think it is a bit far for them to stumble home to at the end of an evening.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 12:50 AM

I think you've convinced me, Seashell... I think for the first trip being 'on the beach' is probably a must...

Soo...Bannana Beach or Ramon's? Sorry to keep bugging you guys about this...

Are they both close to town? nightlife? all that good stuff? Pros / cons?

I'll probably make my reservations in a week or so.. should I reserve spots for Tarpon fishing / blue hole dives in advance as well?

Amigos del Mar for the Blue Hole dive definately... any recommendations for some serious fishing guides? I've never been deep-sea fishing before...my buddy says it's like the lottery, some days, WOW, most you get nada.

Thanks again!

Daylon

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 01:36 AM

I don't usually recommend Ramon's because I think they are too pricey for the rooms but the location, grounds and dock are hard to beat, so probably just what you guys want for *this* trip. Make sure that you don't get put in the garden rooms in the back of the property. If you do, you almost might as well have been at Steve and Becky's.

Banana's is a pretty nice place but I don't think it's got what you guys are after on this trip and it's a jaunt to the south.

Book Ramon's and don't look back. While you are there, if you have the time, take a golf cart and do a tour of some of the other resorts in anticipation of your next trip down. So make a list of the places you'd like to see, Coconuts, Banana's, Banyan Bay, Caribe Island, Mata's, Paradise Villas, Belize Yacht Club, etc., etc. Have a drink at each place, make notes on your list in case you have too many drinks. wink

Oh, and while you are at Ramon's you can easily take a look at the Palms and Belizean Reef for your next trip too. Those hotels give you the same locale, as well as easy access to the beach and dock at Ramon's.

You shouldn't need to book your diving *before* you go, but when you arrive, go to Ramon's dive shop and see if they use Amigo's for the Blue Hole trip. Get the lay of the land, as it were, as to what you need to do to get set up for diving with them. If they do use Amigos for the Blue Hole trip, you might be better off just to use Ramon's dive shop. Though I still like Amigo's better, you guys are going to be right at Ramon's and aren't diving every day. That slight convenience might offset the difference between the two operations.

The boats return to the home dock between dives on the two tank dives and so sometimes it is nice to be able to run up to your room and get something you forgot or do some business. You'd be able to do that from Ramon's dive op but if you were diving Amigo's, then you'd be hanging at their dock instead and doing your business at Cholo's. Amigo's will still drop you off at your dock after your diving is done for the day. You don't have to walk down to the shop in the morning or back after diving.

Do book your Blue Hole trip the evening you arrive. Amigo's boat doesn't go to the Blue Hole every day and the trips can fill up fast as the trip approaches.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 02:12 AM

OK Daylon, I got a bit confused. Is your only day of diving going to be the Blue Hole trip? I don't recommend that unless you two are avid divers and have been diving within the week or so. If you aren't avid divers, at least do a couple of local dives before you go to the Blue Hole. Also, keep in mind you have to be up around 5:00 am for that trip, so try not to pick a day after a big party night. And if you only have 4 days, you'll want to make sure that there is good weather. The diving can still be great if the weather isn't good, but the trip and island lunch aren't that enjoyable when the weather is bad, so I don't think it would be worth it.

However, when the weather is good, it is an awesome way to spend a day. Amigo's has the comfy boat with a good head. The trip out is usually a bit quiet as people are just starting to wake up and get to know each other. Go up top too and spend some time. If the weather is good and seas aren't high, get the captain to explain the GPS and all the other gizmos. At lunch, do go over to the booby bird look out but don't spend a bunch of time there. When you leave the lookout, take the trail to the right, which brings you out on the beach on the other side of the island. If it's not too hot, you can walk all the way on that far side back to where you left the boat. It is so cool and can feel like you are the only people on earth, when on that side. Lots of people don't see it because they are not adventurous enough to take the path less travelled. (watch you don't twist your ankle though)

Then on the way home, you can have Belikin's or panty-rippers and sunbathe out on the front of the boat. If you are lucky you'll see some dolphins or some whales. If you aren't lucky, you will probably still see some flying fish.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 03:17 AM

Yup...I had planned a full day Blue Hole package...I think they do Blue Hole in the morning, then a couple of other dives in the afternoon. Since it's supposed to be one of the "wonders" of the diving world...it'd be a shame to miss it. (Although I'm Advanced Open and Rescue certified - I'm worried about my buddy with his "island certification". So maybe doing a one tank dive early in the trip might not be a bad idea to get reacquainted with everything...

What about fishing? I'm assuming Ramon's can handle anything we want to do....

Thanks again for all the good info Seashell..you've got two free bannana coladas on me...

Daylon
Posted By: kevin mac

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 03:54 AM

this comes from kevin macdonalds girlfriend-trust me, stay at RAMONES!!! COOL PLACE,STUMBLE HOME, BUT WHO SAID SOMETHING ABOUT SOME DRINK CALLED "PANTY RIPPERS"????? AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE WHEN I GO BACK IN APRIL??? SHERRY

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 03:55 AM

Thanks for the offer of the drinks, Daylon, but that's unnecessary. I think you can tell that I love talking about this stuff.

As for the Blue Hole, I'm wondering if your friend with his island cert will enjoy it at all. Lots of people don't. They just consider it a "been there, done that" sort of dive, dark, deepish and not much to see and a very short bottom time. Me, I love it, especially if the sharks show up. The idea that I'm somewhere that used to be underground during the iceage, just fascinates me.

Talk to the DMs early on the way out. Make sure that you and your buddy get into the last group to descend into the Hole. That way you have more likelihood of seeing the sharks. The people in the first group don't always see them since the sharks haven't risen up yet from the depths.

Take your flashlight with you and maybe you will find some little chambers in the wall. Not too long ago, I shone my flashlight on one of the sharks. He didn't like that much or maybe he liked it too much. Anyway, he came over and checked me out. Waaaaaayyyyyy tooo close for my comfort. I mean touching distance. Yikes. Thank heaven's I was a bit narced or I'd have really been scared. smile Instead, I came out of the water after the dive, yelling "Again, again, I want to do it again" LOL

I've done the Blue Hole 5 or 6 times. And the two followup dives are generally pretty fabulous.
Posted By: Axeman

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 05:28 AM

I agree about Blue Hole...please be safe and make sure your friend does at least ONE dive to get in the groove. It's a very deep dive and can be a bit scarey for someone on their first dive.
I've been diving for 20 years with over 200 dives and I felt a bit pressed at first. That was after 4 days of dives. I do not regret doing this dive. The following dives are sweet!
Have a great time...be humble...enjoy the people.

I never felt threatened...ever...and I went to the "backside" where the real folks live. Always got a smile from those I met, and a wave.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 10:33 AM

Okay..

We've got the scuba thing out of the way...what about fishing? I understand that you can go deep sea / reef / or flats fishing.... I'm a complete novice about serious fishing of any kind... any one can give me some advice?

Daylon
Posted By: Marie

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 11:03 AM

Hi Seashell! I think we are both, while not employed as travel agents, travel agents at the heart!

Speaking of the blue hole..........As I mentioned to you before, as much diving as I've done, I haven't tried it because of the usual problems with my ears. If, following your good advice, I get them cleared better before I dive and feel it would be worthwhile, and if one has plenty of time, would you suggest going on just a one or two day trip, or staying longer in the area? Remember I like the out-of-the-way kind of places. Thanks, you are a wealth of information!

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 01:46 PM

Marie, if you get past your ear problems, I think you'd love staying out at the Atolls for a few days. I looked into it last time even though I like a night life, but I could give it up for a few evenings to be that close to the great diving. In the end, it was a money thing that decided it for me.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 01:51 PM

I'm not into fishing but here's what Capt Jeff had to say a couple of days ago in a thread about the Aquamarine Suites, etc.

"call beach o great reef guide about $170 . us for half a day 200 .full day inc soda ,water full day you can have a beach lunch great deal plus tip about 20 to 30 us .his home no# 011 501 6067036 call after 6pm he has all the tackel just bring sun screen ,if you want to stop to snorkel tell him to take you to a reef he will bring a small ladder bring or rent you own gear if you can not reach him call me 1 800 231 7447 at my work toll free ask for jeff also ask me about aqua marina I will try to help also what dates are you going ????? "

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 03:34 PM

Thanks Seashell! Where on the atolls would you suggest. Re $$$ most of the places I've seen talk about being there a good week, and I don't want to do that. We'd like just two or three nights, my guess is. Any PRH type places out that way...I doubt it. You know I'm into travel, so have checked, but haven't located any myself yet.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 09:00 PM

What's a PRH?

I know that you can do 3 days at Turneffe Island Resort.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/06/03 09:26 PM

Seashell, you of all people should know its my beloved Paradise Resort Hotel!!!!!!!!

So, any idea of what the Turnfeffe place would charge, not that I can't check. So you recommend that one? Let me know!

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/10/03 10:26 PM

Okay...looks like Bannana Beach is going to be it...they have a private balcony room for four days for $85 a night. Ramon's only had some sorta deluxe luxury suite for $340 a night.

$340 pays for the ENTIRE stay at BB!

I've seen a few people recommend Bananna, so I feel good about staying there...

They said it's only 3/4 mile from town...so that looks like a decent stumbling distance for us..

Any comments welcome..

Daylon
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/10/03 10:34 PM

Good Choice, I will see ya there. I will be there from the 5th til the 19th. You will love it there.

Jackie smile
Posted By: klcman

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/10/03 11:11 PM

and don't mess up my room - I want it again when I come back :p

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/10/03 11:18 PM

WHO ME???? Oh Them, sorry. wink

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 03:08 AM

Alright... we'll be there from the 14th to the 18th. Just tell me where to send the Bannana Coladas....

Daylon

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 03:42 AM

either one of ya jackie wink

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 12:18 PM

Daylon,
I am sure that you will find me, dont travel far from the hotel. I will be waiting for the Colada, though. smile

KLC,
I would never dream of it. Your room is safe with me. wink
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 12:20 PM

jackie, he said "banana" hehehe :p

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 12:23 PM

I didnt though,haha. Notice colada and hotel. laugh

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 12:28 PM

you're right! hahahahahaha laugh

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 12:39 PM

See, even though this is very hard for me not to mention, that fruit. I will make up for it when I get back,believe that. :p

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 12:59 PM

I think you need to visit Pedro when you get there and take him a big bunch of yeller fruit laugh

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 11:06 PM

Hey!!!
Whats wrong with naner's???

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 11:16 PM

Jackie has "pet" fruit full of potassium???
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/11/03 11:55 PM

am I allowed to reply_Jackie?

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 04:22 AM

Yes Pedro, you are allowed to reply. laugh

I think I am taking Pedro, something more than a bunch of yellow fruit,for starting this.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 03:42 PM

Pedro, reply, I have been dying to know since last night what you have to say....

So, lay it on me.....

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 03:53 PM

Still waiting tapping my fingers very patiently........hmm.....hmmm....

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 03:58 PM

OMG - could it be that ya made him SPEECHLESS???? confused

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 04:06 PM

Dont know, but... I wish he would answer, I am ready....
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 04:17 PM

What did the masochist say to the sadist and then what happened?

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 04:25 PM

I'll get you my pretty, thanks KLC, and then they melted. wink

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/12/03 04:25 PM

roflmao

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/13/03 01:11 PM

Ok...I must be working way too hard...gotta ask...what did he/she say Pedro? "Beat Me"?

Jackie...are you abuseing naner's?
I'm gonna call the Fruit Police...

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/13/03 03:26 PM

NO, I am not. frown Everyone else is trying to make me. But I promised not until vacation. So call the fruit patrol on them and have them arrested.

Re: Two Single Guys - Take II - 04/13/03 03:28 PM

been there......
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board