AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: hoseman blue tang - 04/14/03 02:47 AM
thinking of staying here in early Sept. I dive, but spouse doesn't. How the beach ? Do they have beach lounge chairs, umbrella's beach towels etc?
Posted By: seashell Re: blue tang - 04/14/03 07:36 PM
OK, you've waited long enough. smile

I haven't stayed at Blue Tang since it was Rocks Inn, but I can tell you a few things about it.

The beach in front of Blue Tang is not all that. It has a very small pool though the deck is quite well done for such a small area. The rooms are great.

Considering your situation with your wife not being a diver, you might want to pick another place.

I always really enjoyed staying there when it was Rocks and should you chose to stay there, I recommend trying to prebook the room on the third floor front, southside. It's the best.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: blue tang - 04/15/03 09:15 PM
I think the Blue Tang would be a good choice for a diver + non-diver. It sounds like your wife wants to kick back and relax. They have done a nice job with the pool and deck, and yes there are lounge chairs - I don't remember about umbrellas - but they have nice palm trees.
Right in front is Hustler's Tours who I recommend for scuba diving and snorkeling as well as inland trips.
The nice thing about the location is that it is a very short, beautiful walk in along the beach to any of the night light, safe to walk back when ever, but far enough away to not be noisy (except I understand that Wednesday - Ladies Night can get a little loud).
I've stayed on the 2nd floor and loved it - the most important is to ask for a room facing the reef.
Have fun.
cool
Posted By: River Shark Re: blue tang - 04/17/03 04:10 PM
We're staying there in a couple of weeks for a 10-nights. I'll post the conditions when I return.

And yes we have heard that the pool is small - but thats OK with us, it is there to sit around and cool off in. We are divers and will no doubt spend plenty of time in the salt water. Thus after a day of diving we have very little need or want to get back in water, but do want something to get in and cool off occasionally.

We put together a package with Hustler - very convenient.

The Shark
Posted By: RI Laura Re: blue tang - 04/17/03 09:59 PM
I stayed at the Blue Tang back in February and really loved it there. My friend and I are not divers. I enjoyed the pool everyday, and yes, there were umbrellas on the tables by the pool. There is also a little courtyard area next to the pool with benchs and hammucks under shade where you can read, nap or just people watch.

We stayed on the 3rd floor, room 11? I think. We had a deck, a partial view of the water and an interesting view of local life. We thought that was part of the fun. Watching folks get up in the AM... head to school... playing in the yard... that kind of thing.

The staff was very helpful and I liked that they had security on staff at night so it felt safe coming in late night. The walk into town was 2 minutes and it was very quiet. We NEVER had an issue with noise, even on Ladies Night. Beds and pillow were comfy and the room was pretty spacious. The only complaint (which we told the front desk) was that the tub seemed to need some extra support. I tended to sway a bit while showering.

I would stay there again in a second! cool

Enjoy! - Laura
Posted By: Marie Re: blue tang - 04/17/03 11:27 PM
Keep in mind, its right at the end of the dock that leads to Wet Willies, and that is one loud bar!
Posted By: Islenutt Re: blue tang - 04/17/03 11:32 PM
Have you stayed at the Blue Tang Marie?
Posted By: klcman Re: blue tang - 04/17/03 11:44 PM
where are Jane's ziplocks when ya need them????
Posted By: seashell Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 02:22 AM
Very glad to hear it. I always enjoyed my stays there when it was Rocks and now it must be even that much better.
Posted By: Marie Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 04:31 AM
Nope, lived a few buildings down from it, and it was rocking.
Posted By: Islenutt Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 04:43 AM
You live in AC? confused
Posted By: Marie Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 04:45 AM
Should have said...where I stayed, many years.
Posted By: Islenutt Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 04:48 AM
Oh, I get confused by all your information sometimes... thanks. :rolleyes:
Posted By: klcman Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 04:49 AM
man, you two are like the energizer buny
Posted By: Marie Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 04:51 AM
I'm glad to share it.
Posted By: seashell Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 08:28 AM
RI Laura, is that the room that overlooks the sidestreet on the northside? That room is just huge, a fantastic room.

The room I always recommend, but only to couples or singles, has a kingsized bed, a jacuzzi tub and the way the deck is set up, almost has a private patio. It looks out over the ocean.

While I have stayed on the 3rd floor, I had the little room in the back on the southside. I was quite satisfied there but compared to my stay in the second floor front room, well . . .I was significantly happier with the front room. Aside from the fantastic view and really nice room, the second floor room didn't offer the jacuzzi tub like I had on the 3rd floor but it had a really nice big tiled shower.

I've hung out in a couple of the other larger rooms too because I was with friends that were staying in those large, large rooms with the two double beds and the double hideabeds too . . .huge. Amazingly large comfortable rooms. Greaaaaat for parties. smile

I mean, getting together to have an in-room brekkie before the day starts and later getting the group together for before dinner drinks was great.
Posted By: RI Laura Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 01:14 PM
Seashell,

The room was looking over the street on the north side, but we had 2 double beds plus the couch that could have pulled out to a bed as well. THe deck was great because when you looked to the left, you saw island life, and when you looked to your right, you saw the ocean.

It may have been the position of the room that helped keep things quite, because in our 10 days, we never had noise issues. Maybe that is the only downfall of the waterfront rooms?

One last point that I didn't make last time was the the 2 ceiling fans and the excellent AC made for some cozy sleeping at night. (I'm a whimp and don't like to sleep in the damp air.) Our (full size) fridge was well stocked with refreshments ahead of time, as well.

So, like I said the first time, I highly recommend the Blue Tang!

- Laura
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 01:21 PM
Blue Tang sounds good! The ferry stopped a few times at Wet Willies to let folks off. I thought it looked interesting. I meant to go back and check it out. NEXT TIME! boy is that a long list.
Posted By: River Shark Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 05:49 PM
Laura,
Did you request the refreshments ahead of time or are they just there when you arrive (like a mini bar). We're staying there in two weeks and would like to have all of the creature comforts.
We are staying in room #15 with the jacuzzi tub and view so beer and pop would be a great addition.
Thanks
The Shark
Posted By: seashell Re: blue tang - 04/18/03 08:46 PM
That's the room alright, Laura. My friends loved it too.
Posted By: RI Laura Re: blue tang - 04/21/03 03:53 PM
The Shark,

I sent an e-mail before we arrived with my order of refreshments (water, coke and belikin regular... one case of each)to be delivered to the room ahead of time. They just added it to my bill and took care of the bottle returns for me, too. (We would leave them outside the door).

We had hoped for a cold one when we got there, but they hadn't stocked it much sooner than our arrival, so we were "forced" to take a short stroll down the beach for a cold one. (Oh, the agony!!) But, it did simplify our grocery shopping later. We ran out for snack items but didn't have to lug any bottles back to the room.

They had said that they could have picked up anything we wanted, so make your list! And have a ball! - Laura
Posted By: travelbum24 Re: blue tang - 04/22/03 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RI Laura:
The Shark,

I sent an e-mail before we arrived with my order of refreshments (water, coke and belikin regular... one case of each)to be delivered to the room ahead of time. They just added it to my bill and took care of the bottle returns for me, too. (We would leave them outside the door).

We had hoped for a cold one when we got there, but they hadn't stocked it much sooner than our arrival, so we were "forced" to take a short stroll down the beach for a cold one. (Oh, the agony!!) But, it did simplify our grocery shopping later. We ran out for snack items but didn't have to lug any bottles back to the room.

They had said that they could have picked up anything we wanted, so make your list! And have a ball! - Laura
We are planning on going 5/15 for 5 nights.
Staying in #6. Was also planing on ordering
items. How are the prices? are there any
price lists and descriptions available anywhere?
We are lite beer drinkers. Any sugestions?
Thanks
Posted By: RI Laura Re: blue tang - 04/23/03 08:43 PM
I don't remember the prices, but you can surely ask the hotel ahead of time. Nothing surpising. You do pay for a bottle deposit that you can get back if you plan ahead to return them. (We waited to the last minute, so we didn't get our money back on the bottles.)

In regards to light beer, Belikin Regular is pretty light, but if you want to go to the lightest of the Belikins, try the Belikin Lighthouse. The bottle is a bit smaller, the alcohol % is a bit lower and it is a green bottled beer vs the brown bottle. Very light and refreshing. By the end of our trip we were drinking those. They minimized the impact and warm beer effect.

Another helpful hint... bring or buy a Koozie. This will keep your beverage extra cold.

Enjoy!
Posted By: travelbum24 Re: blue tang - 04/23/03 08:49 PM
Belikin Lighthouse you say?
Great. Good idea for the Coozy's
Thanks
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board