AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time?

Posted By: Chucklebutt

Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/15/03 05:05 PM

Ok, I will be in AC in 17 days (5/2-5/9) and would like to hear everyone's top 10 list of things (including restaurants) that we can't miss while there. I'm traveling with 6 others and we're all AC-newbies! Help!
Posted By: mobunny

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/15/03 05:32 PM

10. Have a Belikin at the Palapa bar
9. Rent a hobie cat and sail up and down the coast line for a couple of hours
8. Go Parasailing with Toni at Fido's pier!!
7. Have where you are staying send a case of Belikin to room and ice it down for your arrival!
6. Go visit Mike at Cannibals for rum punch and a potatoe boat - Yum.
5. Take the day trip to Altun Ha with stop at Maruba with Willie from Searious
4. Snorkel off the end of the Ramon's pier (Lots of fish!)
3. Walk to Rubie's every morning for a large coffee, banana bread and huge glazed doughnut (or two only $4.00 US!)
2. Snorkel with manta rays and nurse sharks (over by Caye Caulker is a better spot than Shark Ray Alley - I don?t know the name of it. Willie from Searious took us there on the manatee day trip)
1. Snorkel Mexico Rocks/Tres Cocos with Jeffrey from Searious - this was my favorite thing it was so beautiful and peaceful

Have a great time!!!! mobunny

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/15/03 06:30 PM

Thanks mobunny. We'll hoist a beer to you!
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/15/03 09:00 PM

Have a breakfast at Estels. Have a Dinner at Papis. Have a Belikin everywhere. Get a Saga Society T-shirt and calender. Don't ever wear socks or hard shoes. Ride the hand ferry across the cut. Do a beach lunch. Say hi to everyone. Pet a dog. Don't worry, be happy.
Other than that, you're on your own. cool
Posted By: crockhunter

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/15/03 11:58 PM

Have a drink with Ada and Margie at Lucifers. Try the night life at Fidos. Dinner at Papis and breakfast at Estel's are a must. Sunday BBQ at BC's. Try Lucy's meat pies. Hol Chan is a good place to dive or snorkel if you don't do it mid week when the cruise ship crowd is there.
Walk the beach, meet many nice people and relax.
The number one thing to do is not hurry anywhere for anything!!!!!!
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 12:20 AM

Come to my party on the 5th of May!!!! smile

WHEN: MAY 5TH, 2003

WHERE: EL DIVINO

TIME: 9 PM

DINNER: 7:30, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US

First drink is on me!!! The birthday girl!!!!!

If you are vacationing on the island or live on the island.... ALL ARE INVITED....

please come and celebrate: my birthday, cinco de mayo, my arrival, and others departures.

This would be one thing to do.

Jackie
Posted By: Hollandia

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 12:57 AM

Crockhunter....
Did Coconuts really change their name to "Lucifer"?
If so....I miss Coconuts already...I guess toooo
many GOOD memories!
Anybody at the island right now that can give my regards to Margie&Ada??
They would like to hear from me!
Thanks ya all,
Fred =))
Posted By: B_b_f_b

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 01:53 AM

Go to El Divino for great martini and check out the hotel when you are done.
Go to BC's and talk to people.
Walk through streets of San Pedro and say hello to everyone you see.
Breathe in fresh air
Go to Crazy Canucks and talk to Don and Carol. Also throw coconut to Brandy the german shephard that lives there.
Watch iguanas that live at Crazy Canucks in the pile of bricks before you walk in from the street.
Take the hand ferry over to Sweet Basil and sit on 2nd floor and just daydream and eat great food.
Dance your a--- off at Fido's while listening to Barefoot Skinny.
Watch children play all of Ambergris Caye and remember what it was like to be a child.
Eat at Jambel Jerk and talk to owners there. They are great.

Hope you have a great time.
Posted By: Axeman

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 03:26 AM

If you dive...try to make time to dive the outer Atolls...the trip is worth the cost..do the over night on the Offshore Express..Clive and the Forman boys are a blast!

Buy a Shell from Piasano...

Get up at sunrise and walk to town...talk to or say hello to everyone you meet..smile ALOT.

Go to Fido's and See Barefoot Skinny and Cat5...
ENJOY YOURSELF
I'll be there too...arrive on the 20th..leave on the 6th.
Posted By: Gela

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 06:42 AM

Hollandia - Lucifers is the name of Coconuts new Bar (the old bar's roof looks like it's support for the new third floor walk way). They also have a new restaurant named Michaels (The Arch Angel). I have not been back since all these changes but will be there on May 3. I'll give a first hand report when I return. I will say hi for you to Margie and Ada.

As for must sees: Coconuts Bar is definitely a must to do when on AC.

I would also recommend Ruby's for breakfast - fresh squeezed OJ and Johnny Cakes (I like the chicken).

Crazy Canucks on Monday nights (live music)

Jambel Jerk Pit, Papi's Diner, Sweet Basils, Capricorn for elegant dinner, etc. ... Never enough days to visit all the great restaurants.

Just follow your nose (and heart) when you get here and you'll be the first to respond on this board with your top ten list when you return.

See you in AC! cool
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 11:46 AM

I second Axe's list. Come to think of it - I second everybody's list!

You are lucky to be going at such a great time. So many of the boarders will be there.
Jackie's bday party is a don't miss event! Wish I could go.

Enjoy your trip! It's almost impossible not to. I was smilin the whole time I was there. smile
Posted By: crockhunter

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 12:57 PM

Hollandia:

Coconuts hotel still exists, but the bar is now Lucifers. It's much bigger and prettier and Margie and Ada are as great as ever, but i still missed the old bar. The biggest problem is it's enough bigger that you cannot visit across the bar to people on the other side. I guess that's just progress. I should mention that there is now a third bartender, Marlon, he used to be the bartender at Captain Morgan's.

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 02:02 PM

Jackie -

We'll be there!

Cheryl & Chuck
Posted By: CyaBye

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 04:00 PM

Chucklebutt,
Sounds to me like you’ve gotten lots of good advice here, only a couple of things to add:
1. Do BC’s for Sunday brunch.
2. Go reef fishing.
3. By a chicken and go feed the crocks in the lagoon by the water plant.
4. If you rent a golf cart, pick up the children and give them a ride to or from wherever they are going. They never forget to say “thank you”.

The one suggestion that I disagree with is the day trip to Altun Ha with stop at Maruba Spa. Altun Ha was great, but I felt like I was held hostage for 3 ½ hours at Maruba Spa. The “lunch” stop (longest lunch I ever had) was basically a ruse to sell you grossly over priced, mediocre food and beverages. In addition the 3 ½ hours gave them plenty of time in case any of us needed a manicure, pedicure, mud bath or massage at prices one would expect on Rodeo Drive!

What I resented here was the deception, and being held hostage during my vacation for the financial gain of some resort and the tour company, who no doubt got a kickback from Maruba. Had I known, I would have gladly paid more money to spend a little more time at Altun Ha, and then gone straight back to AC to something I wanted to do.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 04:30 PM

Did anybody say to go to Crazy Canuks on Monday night to see the Punta Boys?

And I agree about Maruba Spa. One of the worst massages I've ever had and the top price I've ever paid. Getting washed off afterwards was interesting though. (I had one of the honey and something or other rubs) We also got more bites there than we had at any other time, whether inland or on AC.
Posted By: Hollandia

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 05:09 PM

Thanks Crock and Gela for the info....
Wow, it sounds like that Coconuts have changed a lot.
Hopefully they still allow to play dominos with M&A!!!
I'll be there soon though to check it out for myself.
Thanks again,
Fred =))
Posted By: Magnum Belize

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 05:13 PM

Don't forget to visit Capricorn Restaurant, take the day trip to see the Manatee with Seaduced by Belize, take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and find the man who makes hats (or bowls) from palm frons, Shark Ray Alley, cave tubing. This is just a start.

Belize is one of the most geographically diverse countries in the Caribbean. Enjoy!!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 07:57 PM

Our experience at Maruba was exceptional. Willie from Searious got us there ahead of the other tour buses from Altun Ha. The six of us on the tour had the entire palce to ourselves for two hours. We sat by the pool(which is beautiful) swam, drank, and ate lunch. I had an incredible pedicure. We knew when we booked the tour we were stopping at Mruba for lunch etc, so it was no problem. All six of us really enjoyed it immensely. If you don't want to do the Maruba thing I think some of the tours just go to Altun Ha and back. Enjoy!
Posted By: Beachy

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 08:33 PM

do a search for the 5 best restaurants and then go to them, San Pedro has some great spots for every meal.
May I suggest the tapa bar/pasta place? :rolleyes:
Chris
Posted By: akafiend

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/16/03 10:13 PM

My suggestions:

1. Remove wristwatch and lock it in luggage. Do not put back on until departure day.

2. Walk where ever your legs will carry you and just check everything out. Stop anywhere that looks interesting and hang out for awhile.

3. Say hello to everyone you see and stop for a conversation whenever the opportunity arises.

4. Eat at Jambel's Jerk Pit. (Coconut curry anything is heaven on earth.)

5. Get up at the crack of dawn, get fruit salad from Rubies, cinnamon bun from Celi's, coffee from either. Sit on the beach and eat breakfast. Thank the higher forces of the universe for allowing you to do it. Pray that you get to do it again soon.

6. Talk to the kids. They are wonderful.

7. Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel....

8. Take pictures of the gorgeous water so you can make your friends jealous when you get home.

9. Eat stewed chicken with rice and beans every chance you get at every place that serves it.

AND.....

#10 - Do not break any bones in either hand while you are there! Trust me....lol.....
Posted By: Sandy C

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 12:35 AM

Snorkeling: Alfonse Graniel, L'il Alfonse under "Goods & Services" menu above, phone: 614-5450; 226-3537; great guy & guide, wonderful with people & fish; ask him about other snorkeling sites after you visit Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley

Fishing: Ramon or Severo Guerrero, phone 226-2325, 226-2324; E-mail: [email protected]; great fishermen and fun to spend a day with; they cook a great beach picnic with your catch and will send fillets back with you for you or a restaurant to cook for future meals.

Sailing: Geraldo Badillo, 226-2264, fun and serene

Parasailing: Fido's Dock; Tony gives a great flight

Wonderful local food: Los Cocos restaurant on north end of town, off middle street past Richie's Supermarket; wonderful whole fried snapper and fish fillets
Posted By: Marie

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 01:45 AM

Yes, Beachy, I agree, the tapa place, I need help here, is I think called Cafe Picasso. I had tapas and my husband had pesto. The wife cooks and the husband "schmoozes" and waits table. Really nice couple. We only had one meal there this trip and it was quite good. I'll certainly go back. Check with Pedro, he has a coupon book. I believe they will pay for your taxi to it. It's a good hike on foot, but do-able.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 02:19 AM

the owner "schmoozes" huh :p - well Chris, what say ya????

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 03:38 AM

In case any one misunderstood, "schmoozes" is New Yorkese for hanging around and chatting. A very good quality in an owner.
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 04:03 AM

Thank you for explaining that to us Marie... smile

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 04:41 AM

My pleasure.

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 06:15 AM

omg - DB - take a look at this

http://www.waverlystreet.com/schmooze/schmooze.html

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 06:16 AM

pesto with what else? Just a plate of pesto? eek

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 11:00 AM

Of course not, with pasta.

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 12:34 PM

Thanks klc! I will have to check into this, and it's held not that far from me. I could become a Columbus Schmoozer! laugh I want the tee!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 12:37 PM

get two!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 12:39 PM

Gee, does that make us Ohioese, and KLC would be Mainese, almost pronounced like Mayonnaise. laugh

Such a condiment you would be KLC!!!!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 12:43 PM

Yummy !!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 01:22 PM

one last suggestion, stop by Sega (the humane society on AC) and drop off a donation. They are having a fundraiser to build a new center. You will notice the strays in San Pedro, and will understand why it is important. Sega does a good job.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 02:22 PM

I am not a NYese ! Where did that come from, origianally? Homework.
Is this another compliment/condiment? laugh

My Canadaese geese are honking. I don't think they are 'ese'. Shhhhh...don't tell them I said that. wink

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 02:24 PM

I would assume a complicated complimented condiment!!! Only a guess. :p

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 04:33 PM

OK, OK, hold on. Fortunately for me, my wife/the chef doesn't read these things, I work very hard in the dining room (and actually these days I am back to bartending nightly)
Shmoozing is a big part of my job, but only because I like talking to guests...and since I know you are wondering if my wife slaves all day while I chat, I cook during the day (sous-chef)
p.s. since I am bartending nowadays, I offer two for one martinis every night ('cept mondays when I'm out trying to break my record) after 9pm stop by and hang out late night menu is all desserts and most tapas. Still the ORIGINAL and best martini bar on the island. Chris //ambergriscaye.com/casapicasso/

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 04:41 PM

Thanks Chris. I love tapas and will definately take you up on those martinis. wink Me and a crew will be there in 15 days (and a wake up to quote Axe). I can't wait!

Cheryl

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 04:42 PM

The lasagna is the best!!! Compliments to the chef. wink

Jackie
Posted By: Windsor3

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 05:02 PM

We will definitely stop by in June! Nice martini menu. The foods looks great too.
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 05:06 PM

Beachy - Do you trade Shiner Bocks for Martinis?
laugh
I am making room in my bag for at least a few...

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/17/03 06:50 PM

All rules feature exceptions, nutt.
Catch me on a good night, and watermelon martinis could be had.
Beachy
Posted By: Seaislegal

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/18/03 05:23 PM

Sounds great Beachy!

I love Tapas after having gone to Spain a few years ago and hitting lots of little cool Tapas bars in Seville. We'll definitely have to come by your place this year with my little group of 9.

Andrea in Atlanta
14 days and a wake-up to go!!!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/18/03 06:53 PM

If you are intown (Atlanta) drive by my house I own there and see if it still has a for sale sign in the yard, I have not heard from my so-called real estate agent in weeks. Anyone want a great little house on (2099)Lenox rd imside of the cool ViHi area? By Owner... saves commissions!!
See ya soon!

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/30/03 08:46 PM

I'mleaving in exactly 40 hours. I'm packing light, bringing a bottle of Safe Sea and flip flops and will havea case of Belikin waiting for me in my room.

Any other last minute pearls of wisdom?
Posted By: It's Me

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/30/03 08:59 PM

What is a tapa?

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/30/03 09:28 PM

ta·pas (-päs, -päz)
Any of various small, savory Spanish dishes, often served as a snack or with other tapas as a meal.

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 04/30/03 09:43 PM

Have a really wonderful time! I wish it was me! Take care, mobunny
Posted By: Seaislegal

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 05/01/03 04:58 PM

42 hours till I leave for the airport now!!!!!!! It'll be a looooooong 42 hours for sure!

Andrea in Atlanta
Posted By: playabees

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 05/01/03 06:40 PM

"Help me, monkey!" I need some Eager-ness at my wedding in STL in August! I promise Jen won't have to cook.
Y'all even dreaming of coming?

I may be a little biased but some Casa Picasso gazpacho is definitely on my Top Ten as is an afternoon Purple Parrot on the beach at Ramon's with my pallies in a deck chair, Palapa Bar sundays, sushi at the Blue Water Grill, yoga on the roof of the post office, grillin' snapper on the beach, long walks in the wee hours (unless it's the Walk of Shame) and catamarans to anywhere.

Oh, how I miss the life. Funny how the grass is always greener.

Have fun for me, I'll see you all in September for the honeymoon.
Stephanie
Posted By: maya10

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 05/01/03 07:19 PM

Beachy-do you serve green apple martinis?
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Top 10 Things to Do Your First Time? - 05/01/03 08:00 PM

Chloe is ordering.

Deep Sea Martini

Brie and Baguette

Cracked Coconut

Do you deliver to South Texas?

Your menu of food and drinks sound yummy.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board