AmbergrisCaye.com Home

more to San Pedro's nightlife

Posted By: Beachy

more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 05:57 PM

There's a topic down the page about Black and White bar. This post is in reference to the feeling on this board is that there are only two bars on San Pedro. There are over 100 liquor licenses on the island. Its a shame when I read that people spent the entire visit in the canned-caribbean-tourist-trap and missed out on little places like Black and White. November travellers take note: Black and White is THE garifuna bar and the spot to see drum circles and amazing call and response singing, not performed by a band as much as by the entire crowd at the bar. Punta aside, garifuna is certainly one of Belize's major musical treasures (check out www.stonetreerecords.com) There are lots of gems like Black and White. You're coming to Belize: You're adventurous---you have a Friday's at home... I suggest this: Me and the gang can hit 19 bars in 45 minutes (with a cart) and never go North of Island Supermarket.
While we're on the subject,and since I know I'll get flamed about drinking et al: there's generally a weekend dance at Lion's Den. A dance or musical recital of kids from one of the schools, Drama productions, Catholic mass services, etc. Enjoy!
Posted By: seashell

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 06:25 PM

Aaarrgh, sounds just like the kind of place I'd love. So sorry I missed it. Sure wish I'd heard of it before.
Posted By: Big Al

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 06:33 PM

Hi,

B & W Bar sounds like a fun place. The link provided did not work - could you check it?

Are there any places that have blues or imporomptu music?

What is the dominant local music?

Al
Posted By: seashell

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 06:36 PM

The bar that used to be the Boatyard (I can't remember what it's called now) is a "punta free" zone and the owners there (or at least one of them) has a massive collection of blues.
Posted By: o jackie

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 06:40 PM

Beachy, that is 2.36 minutes spent at every bar wink . I am guessin you could guzzle!!! smile

Jackie
Posted By: Chloe

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 06:43 PM

Jackie it can be done, with one of those springbreaker funnels, with huge tube. Now I am not certain the drinker will survive, 19 beers in 45 minutes.

OH oh, I got it, every other bar stop is to use the facilities, not to buy another beer.... wink

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 06:49 PM

laugh
Posted By: ChrisW

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 07:06 PM

The link incorrectly picked up the ")" at the end. You can correct it in your address bar after selecting it or use this one.

www.stonetreerecords.com
Posted By: Debbie

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 07:29 PM

LOL... the spring break tube in one end and a catheter in the other!!! laugh
Posted By: Chloe

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 07:53 PM

Good one Debbie.
Posted By: Seaislegal

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 08:39 PM

What day or time is the best to hit the Black and White bar for music? I remember seeing the sign last year and wanting to check it out.

Also, where / when do they play the Punta music, I don't recall seeing that Punta dance last year.

Andrea

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 09:25 PM

It can be done: we buy a beer, jump in the cart, drive to the next bar, beers are smaller here, but the thirst larger. It started back when me and a friend announced that we were going out to hit every bar in town, my wife and his girlfriend told us, "great, be back in 45 minutes" and the legend began.....plus, shots take up less space than beers eek

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 09:31 PM

didnt think of shots, duh. okay give me the map when i get there. :p

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 09:49 PM

Jackie, since I know where you stay wink everytime, I can tell you that all of them are (almost) between the GREATEST RESTAURANT and BAR: CASA PICASSO laugh and the WORLD FAMOUS Banana Beach Resort... shall I list the drive, it'll be from your room to island supermarket. Ready. GO!!
El Divino, the grocery across from Banana Beach(this counts as it IS a local drinking spot),Tropica, Tropicana, Tenapa, Rico's,Marina's antonjitos, Rey De Todos,Mirasol,Black & White,Casa Picasso, Coconuts,Barefoot Iguana, Crazy Canucks, Hideaway, Splash Bar,island supermarket......wait, that's only 17, well, correction: 17 stops in 45 minutes. Too many beers, I guess. I must add that the reason island supermarket is here on this list is because it was after all originally a beer run.

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 09:55 PM

Thanks Chris, I will do this!!! I have to make sure that I copy it down or just stop and ask you where i go now. :p I dont think I could do it, unless I come back for some of that awesome lasagna. smile

Jackie
Posted By: mountain Larry

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 10:00 PM

Beachy, I'm glad to hear you too have visited the Black and White. I'm not sure I can top the 2.36 seconds at each bar because I enjoy places like the B and W to leave so soon, that's why I posted the earlier message. Maybe I'll meet up with you there or at one of the other places ML
Posted By: klcman

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/15/03 11:44 PM

hey - it's North of Beachy's run, but what about Sandals? I missed it last time I was there. Is it still around?

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/16/03 02:35 PM

klc,
Sandals ceviche bar(in town behind Jaugar's Temple) is still there, another cool spot! Before we opened the restuarant, I used to go get panty rippers from there and deliver them to my spouse when she was working a shop in town.
Great surrealist use of reggae music/Mexican soap operas simultaneously, decent pool tables too!
Chris

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/16/03 03:23 PM

Cool beans! Making a note of all the new bars to hit. Golf Cart pubcrawl is in my future!!!!

Something I know my other 8 buddies will be into doing, for sure!

We are in beer training this week... Buffett concert here tomorrow and road trip to another on Saturday in Nashville. Bring on the tailgates, which of course start at noon or earlier!!!!!!!

Andrea in Atlanta

""Down to the Banana Republics, down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated Americans hopin' to find some fun" J. Buffett
Posted By: klcman

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/17/03 12:02 AM

Thanks Chriis,

It was always one of my fav locals hangouts. Just never made it this time & was just wondering, since no one ever seesm to mention it.
Posted By: gizmo

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/17/03 10:26 PM

We did a golfcart pubcrawl with a couple of locals we met with the intent to go to a few places that weren't the typical tourist destinations. In our afternoon/evening, we hit a little of everything.
Our circuit included the Riverside Sports Bar, One Barrel Bar, the "IT" bar (in the boatyard), the Back-A-Town bar, the Black and White bar, Hideaway and ended up at the Crazy Canucks for live music.
We met some really friendly people and had a great time in some of these less frequented spots.
I'm not even gonna tell you how many we had........but we were slow moving objects the next day!

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/17/03 11:26 PM

Yes! See, that's the kinda getting to know a town I like, way to go, you hit some great spots!!
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/18/03 07:56 AM

Gizmo has the right idea. Wish I would have caught some of the show at the Black & White when I dropped in, but it was quiet then. One Barrel Rum Bar is fun to hang and play a game or two of pool. I don't remember the pool game, but I know I lost big time against a young local. A couple of great photos out of the time. The stairs when I left were a little rough! Made it down fine, but really had to concentrate.

My favorites on AC are BCs and Crazy Canucks. Still, I haven't seen anybody take on the infamous "Turkey Day Pub Crawl" on Tday just last year. That was a blast.

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/18/03 05:31 PM

I am excited to go check out some of the more "non-toursity" bars mentioned as they are usually the more fun and memorable occasions. We did that in Old San Juan one time, found this little hole in the wall bar, they had the bartender do some fire eating show, we showed them how to make Key Lime Shooters and do shots with no hands used... and those are always the most fun times!

I copied this thread onto a word doc so I can try and find the bars mentioned when we do one of our many golf cart pub crawls this year!

Andrea in Atlanta
14 more freaking loooong days to go!
Posted By: kayesscee

Re: more to San Pedro's nightlife - 04/18/03 06:05 PM

Andrea,

Look me up when you get here. I can be found almost daily at Lucifer's for happy hour between 5:00 and 7:00. I'm always into the pub-crawl thing, and I'm anxious for news from home. I'm from Atlanta, and have been here for about six weeks. Not exactly homesick...just missing it a little.

Hope to see you soon.

Kelly
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board