AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: newport Mata Chica? - 05/01/03 10:21 PM
Any comments on the Mata Chica hotel?
Posted By: RI Laura Re: Mata Chica? - 05/02/03 02:14 PM
First... Which Newport? I just moved out of Newport, RI.

Now... to your question, Mata Chica is wonderful. Very private, top of the line... but you pay for it. If you are a romantic couple who wants privacy, you'll love it. If you expect to get into town alot, anywhere north on the island may get frustrating.

What is your criteria? What are you looking for in a hotel?
Posted By: newport Re: Mata Chica? - 05/02/03 06:51 PM
The other coast - Newport Beach, CA. Looking for a romantic place for our anniversery. From their web page it looks like they have boat service into town, is that right? Have you stayed there?
Posted By: SuzanneE Re: Mata Chica? - 05/02/03 07:03 PM
The only thing I know is that they don't return e-mails! So I booked somewhere else! Hope you have better luck!
Posted By: Sandy C Re: Mata Chica? - 05/02/03 07:32 PM
Recommend you check Cayo Espanto also, if you decide not to stay at Mata Chica.
Posted By: seashell Re: Mata Chica? - 05/02/03 08:45 PM
Mata Chica does not have a pool if that is important to you. The units are cute as heck.

And sure they have a boat service but what if you want to stay out late in town one or two evenings?
Posted By: GWilson Re: Mata Chica? - 05/02/03 09:20 PM
You might want to check out the Playa Blanca Island Villa just a few hundred feet north of Mata Chica. They have a boat with fishing guide included when you rent the villa. Our family was able to snorkel and fish using their gear at no extra charge as often as we wanted to go. It's perfect for your anniversary. It's private setting is very romantic!

When you don't feel like cooking Mata Chica is just a few minutes stroll down the beach. Mata Chica is a cute resort with little cabanas and a beach bar. There are several really nice restaurants within walking distance of Playa Blanca Island Villa.

We stayed at Playa Blanca Island Villa the first time for our 33rd anniversary and then returned with our family the following year. Send an email to Denise at [email protected] and ask her to send you the CD loaded with over 100 photos...it's much better than their website playablanca.biz

Where ever you decide to stay I am sure you will enjoy your stay in Belize. Happy Anniversary!
Posted By: RI Laura Re: Mata Chica? - 05/06/03 08:58 PM
I never stayed at Mata Chica... but their restaurant is my favorite and I've spoken to many guests there. The north end is definitely more quiet and private for those who want that, and there are enough options now up North for those who don't want to head south into town to have some variety within walking and golf carting distance.

Do check out the topics on this board though to get the pro's and con's. In particular, find out when the last boat back North is and see if this fits your needs.

Bottom line... do your homework... ask all your questions here. What's important to you? Privacy? Restaurants? Location? Side Trips? Noise? Price? Pool? AC? Night life? Amenities? It's hard to go wrong as long as you are specific on your priorities.

Enjoy your anniversary! (What number will this be??) wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board