AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SanHam I should have paid attention - 07/26/03 08:37 PM
Why didn't I pay attention. I will be back in AC Aug. 21 to 27 (my second time). I no longer drink, so I need to know who has the best frozen lime drinks or other virgin drinks. Who was it that had the great key lime pie and where do I get a good massage (not maruba though - I saw the thread a while ago and have to say it wasn't the best massage i've ever had, even though he massaged my boobs). THANKS
Posted By: KathyA Re: I should have paid attention - 07/26/03 09:17 PM
Hi SanHam! Can't tell you who makes the best virgin drinks. I believe you said earlier you were traveling alone. Where are you staying this time? Update me. I am going next summer on my own also.
Posted By: Chloe Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 12:39 AM
Mango's has good frozen slushes, many flavors.
Good limeade at Caliente's
Mannelley's for great icecream.
Lily's for keylime pie.
Find coconut tarts.
How about Fanta sodas?

Sorry I do not do massages, just messages...hahaha
Posted By: SanHam Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 04:09 AM
Thanks Chloe for the tips. mmmmm, those coconut tarts sound good. I'll add these to my list for sure.

Hi KathyA. Yep, this is round 2 for me. A good friend from Atlanta is going with me after I made her sign a disclaimer stating she would not make me act as tour guide or mommie and that I would disavow knowing her if she acted in any way like a child. She's pretty laid back so I think it will turn out better. This time I'm splitting my limited time between San Ignacio/Santa Elena and San Pedro. I intend to rent a car on the mainland do some exploring on my own (waterfalls, zoo, hummingbird highway, dandriga maybe). I'm booking the Aguada in SI and Banyan Bay in SP. Just so you know, I spoke w/Peggy from Casa Tortuga and she was willing to rent just the two upstairs bedrooms. She was still a little too high and Banyan Bay has a great summer special for two bedrooms and I kind of wanted to explore more of the restaurants this time around too. I'll post a trip report when I return.
Posted By: KathyMLT Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 04:16 AM
I agree, Mangos has some good virgin drinks and probably Oh, crap, there's this little place everyone raved about when I was there last down across by Fidos across the street. Laugapino or something like that. Try to check out El Divino at Banana Beach. I'm sure that the bartenders will whip you up something delicious to drink.
I understand that that the chinese guy downtown in San Pedro gives great massages. I agree about Maruba....I had a woman and she seemed pretty intent on massaging my boobs....I was just about to say I think that was enough when she quit...I was NOT relaxed at all to say the least.
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 09:54 AM
Hi SanHam: Here are some idea's. Coconut water, watermelon juice, all kinds of freshly squeezed juices are available "everywhere". The Last stand near Jambel's makes very nice fresh fruit shakes that are really wonderful. I like canaloupe!! Caliente's usually has a couple freshly squeezed juices daily. When in San Ignacio, stop by at Serendib's and enjoy a very wonderful meal and buy a Wooden Box of assorted tea's. Take care: Bill PS. Don't forget that your not the ONLY one not "drinking" in Belize. I usually carry around a little umbrella to put in my Coke Light just to look real cool!!
Posted By: indygal Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 01:47 PM
Oh Bill you are just too cool. I don't drink either, will have to try some of these juices. Just high on life!
Posted By: kippe Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 01:57 PM
Bill always gives very good advice! See, now you can look cool and if it starts to rain the li'l umbrella can come in very handy. Seriously, he does give good advice! My X, in his early days of not drinking, sometimes felt uncomfortable and asked for a slice of lemon or lime in his coke, his drink of choice, made it look like a real drink! Chloe, disagree with the Fanta, it could possibly kill you! Especially the yellow or red varieties, the ones the Belizians seem to drink for breakfast! Full of additives and artificial flavors.
Posted By: SanHam Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 02:48 PM
thanks all for the good advice,

The descriptions of some of these places (the last stand, the shop across from fidos, the chinese guy downtown) LOL - the descriptions made me smile and think "only in belize". The chinese massage guy sounds familiar - anybody remember his name. Kippe, I thought fanta was orange -doesn't seem right to some in other colors. LOL. Bill, I'll try that trick with the umbrella as I do want to look cool.
Posted By: KathyA Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 02:59 PM
Do you mind telling me what she rents the 2 upstairs rooms for?
Posted By: KathyMLT Re: I should have paid attention - 07/27/03 06:03 PM
Ahh, Fanta,
In the Caribbean it comes in MANY flavors....I like the orange and the pineapple myself. There is grape, pineapple, orange, some red stuff, I think there is even a grapefruit flavored one but I could be wrong and those are only the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Posted By: SanHam Re: I should have paid attention - 07/28/03 03:20 AM
KathyA,

Peggy didn't know what to charge me as she had never rented just the 2 bedrooms before. She remembered me from a year ago and was open to working with me. She basically reduced her regular rate in half and maria's fee was equally smaller. This was still too much for me, but I think I could have gotten her to go lower as its low season and she didn't have anyone booked but I decided not to pursue it. Remember she also has the smaller villa available too. Doesn't hurt to ask, though. Good luck to you.
Posted By: KC Re: I should have paid attention - 07/28/03 05:53 AM
KathyMLT,
The place across from Fidos was Lagniappe (lan-yap), but if it hasn't closed up shop yet, it will soon. Owners going back to states for a spell, I believe.

Kathy
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: I should have paid attention - 07/28/03 09:43 AM
I just love those additives and artifical flavors. Try the NEW Fanta, Gibnut!! Real good...real Gibnut!!!!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: I should have paid attention - 07/28/03 09:52 AM
PS. It is just a shame that Tree and Dan hafta go back to the States. They had a real nice business going, and served up a really decent Gumbo. PPS. Under it could only happen in Belize catagory, the massage "guy" which is spoken of is none other than Master Lee, the fried chicken magnate. He is a VERY talented fellow who is not only a marshal arts expert, but is trained in the oriental massage arts. Just specify Crispy or Original.
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: I should have paid attention - 07/28/03 12:47 PM
Think the other one is Master Huan on Middle St. by the pharmacy. He's the one that is always standing on the balcony "cutting a butt" . He usually tells everyone they have one leg shorter than the other! Went to him a few months ago when I ruptured a disc. Wasn't too bad, but speaks no English which can get quite interesting. You may not be comfortable with my advise, however, as I also get my hair cut at a bar!
Posted By: KathyMLT Re: I should have paid attention - 07/28/03 06:14 PM
If he doesn't speak English how do you know he tells everyone they have one leg shorter than the other? ; ) Just curious...
Posted By: NYgal Re: I should have paid attention - 07/29/03 01:33 AM
He talks with his hands.... smile
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: I should have paid attention - 07/29/03 02:17 AM
True!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board