AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: cats Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/24/03 02:36 AM
We will be there for Christmas this year. Want to bring something for the children any suggestions on what to bring and how to hand them out??
Posted By: denverdan Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/24/03 06:24 AM
You can contact the lions club or the womens club.
Womens club contact is [email protected]
You are a very thoughtful person, I'm sure all will appreciate your gifts!
Posted By: kerry Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/24/03 08:50 AM
have to agree with denverdan....conchita and her husband chico, will see to it that the gifts are distributed to the children in need....they are truly wonderful people....i brought lots of school supplies my last trip, and went thru them...they even invited me to a home cooked meal at their home....have a wonderful time!!!!
Posted By: cats Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/30/03 01:26 AM
I e-mailed her but have not gotten a answer yet. You said you brought school supplies can you list what ? Pencils, paper? Do the children learn English or Spanish first? English books are OK?? On Christmas ,toys, Games? I need ideas.
Dont want to bring something down they dont want or cant use. Batteries are so expensive so no battery toys? It is like getting a electric toy with no electricty what good would it be. Thanks for any help on sugestions.Good sales going on would like to buy ASAP.What age group also would help.
Posted By: deano Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/30/03 01:54 AM
I Take toys an cloths every year..Almost anything is great.. Forget anything with batterys tho. They are expensive on the island .Stuff that I have taken in the past that have been hits are things like, Crayons, colouring books,coloured felt pens,wind me up toys, anything that makes a sound,penny whistles,harmonicas,and so forth.. Little kid clothes are always a hit,as this sort of stuff is scarce and spendy.Anything with sports team logos on it is always cool too..Dont worry about sizes, There is always some one who will fit it.I usually just raid the local thrift store and fill my bags to the bursting point.As far as distributing the stuff, just inquire at your hotel and strike up a friendship with the Maid,the Gardener,the guy raking the beach and so on. They will need it or know some one who does. I usually try to spread it around as far as I can.This has made me a lot of friends thru the years and its a great way to meet some new friends...Its also pretty cool to see some kid on the street a day or two later wearing "my" new clothes
Posted By: cats Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/30/03 02:10 AM
That is what We hope to see. we are going to be there for 2 weeks. One question...Children under 10 do they read English or Spanish? We have some memory games mostly pictures but some letters in English 4 or 5 games should I bring things like that down ?
Posted By: kerry Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/30/03 08:27 AM
hi cats....there have been some problems with the e-mail lately....not sure if conchita even received your's...as for school supplies that i brought down, here's a list....hope this helps....
1) paperback dictionaries (english/spanish)
2) erasers
3) bookbags/backpacks
4) crayons
5) rulers
6) pencils
7) notebook paper
8) composition books
9) pocketed folders
10 loose-leaf binders
i'm sure there's alot more things that they can use....i'm sure what ever you bring, will be greatly appreciated....
i'm sure you will have a truly wonderful time....
kerry laugh
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 11/30/03 12:59 PM
The official language of Belize is English. Education is conducted in English.
Posted By: Ellie Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/02/03 10:14 PM
Hi Cats,
I was happy to see your question. I just fired an email to Conchita as well. If she doesn't respond, I'll plan to do as suggested. I'm planning on bringing down pokemon cards in spanish - don't know if they are into them, but I think that it will be a good tool for my son (8) to strike up a friendship with other boys or girls down there. Are you travelling with children? We arrive on Christmas day and will probably hang around Belize city until we meet up with our tour on the 27th. I can barely wait. Don't tell anyone but I'm at work right now and can't EVEN concentrate, this site is too much fun!
e
Posted By: cats Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/03/03 03:27 AM
It sounds as if your son is younger than mine.
We are there for 10 days at Pardise Villa's 2 daughters 22&20 son 19 Our other Daughter just got married and is on her Honeymoon right now St Lucia for 2 weeks. What tour are you going on? We are from Calif. and you?
Posted By: Ellie Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/04/03 10:45 PM
Hi Cats,
We're from Ann Arbor Michigan - so we will be the very pale ones you see on the sidewalks. On the 27th we're going with a UK outfit Global Tours into the jungle, to Tikal, some river tours, then to AC for New Years. All and all we'll be there two weeks starting Christmas day. The first two days at the Radisson in Belize City, although I'm seeing if I might exchange that for a trip to crooked tree, it sounds like a good family place to be on Christmas night. I won't complain if it's not possible though. Our one and only is 8 - so we're trying our best to find activities that will enable him to make friends. Enjoy your trip!
Ellen
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 03:14 AM
Cat,

wanted to make sure you see my reply in the Dec Visitor section.

I am 23, 24 on Dec 26 and traveling solo again to AC. Where is your family staying?
Have you been to Belize before and has your daughters?
I went April and look forward to returning!
Keli
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 04:49 AM
Would anyone be kind enough to share some of these donations with our kids here in Dangriga.

I will be meeting up with Ellie at Aqua Marina Suites for New Years.

If anyone will bring stuff like what kerry posted we will be greatful.
Posted By: kerry Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 08:34 AM
djean...it looks like i'm making my move to belize at the end of may....was planning on bringing more things for saga and the sp women's group...let me know how to reach you, and we can make some arrangements to get the stuff to you...i know it's probably late in the school year, but, hey...the kids can always use it when school starts up again....keep me posted....later kerry
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 10:03 AM
Djean,

Do you and Ellie know each other personally or though the site? Can I give items to Ellie as I am leaving Dec 28. I am traveling solo again and am so excited to visit wonderful Belize again. I am packing right now, I leave Tue for my first destination and arrive in Belize 12/18/03. I am making room for a bag of school supplies. What are the preferences? Rulers, markers, pens, story books, ???

Thanks.
KE
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 10:05 AM
Kerry, congradulations on the future move to Belize. I think we chatted a bit on the site before your first visit and you asked for advice, I had gone alone and written the "WHY I LOVE BELIZE" piece. Do you remember? Would love to know where you are moving, what you are doing, what age range you are in. I dream of being there longer one day.
KE
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 10:10 AM
Ellie, you are right! I actually hate chatting however this website forum is so exciting. I love it. I have not been in Belize since April and still visit the site regularly to read trip reviews which make me picture beautiful Belize and talk with people I know through the site. Have you been to Belize before? What do you do in Belize city? If you haven't been there before, consider taking the flight or ferry to Ambergris Caye/ San Pedro and meet your group here. It is a 20 min flight and you will appreicate all of the things to do on the island.
KE
Posted By: Djean Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 05:53 PM
ke & kerry, I dont' know Ellie personally as yet, but will get to do so when we meet up in AC on 30th Dec.

Ellie has booked her tour through the company I represent here in Belize, Dangriga, Global Travel based in the UK.

ke, if you want to bring stuff down for us you can always get it to me by sending it on Maya Island Air to Dangriga.

my contact is:
[email protected]
Posted By: cats Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/05/03 10:52 PM
ke, We have been to Belize in2001 New Years with the family .One daughter has not been there yet,this will be her first time. She went to Costa Rica last Nov. My 22 year old loves Belize and wants to learn how she can stay 3 to 4 months a year.I hope she does then I will have a place to visit!!We will be at the Pardise Villia's from 12/23-1/2/03 than 4 days on the main land 2 at Chaa Creek the other 2 days not sure yet.Come by on the 26th and we will buy a birthday drink for you.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/06/03 02:57 AM
Cats, you are so kind. After my first visit to Belize I was trying to think of ways to stay longer as well and it is difficult with my work. Interesting your 22 yr old feels the same. (I am 23 years old.) I appreciate that someone my age appreciate Belize the way I do. It was sad for me to come home last trip. I am a real estate agent and would love to one day have a home there too! It would be nice if I could find you and your family somewhere. I am traveling alone(and love to) and perhaps you can spot me somehow???
Um, most of the time I carry a small green backpack. How else can you spot me?
Posted By: kerry Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/06/03 08:46 AM
hi ke...yes, i do remember the piece you wrote...xlnt reading...went back this past sept/oct...spent a week in corozal, and a week in san pedro...confirmed my original feelings, that belize is the place for me...met so many wonderful people...i found a very lovely rental house in corozal, that i believe is going to be mine....the owner is sending the papers for the lease, and am hoping to receive them the first part of next week...if we both agree to the terms, it looks like i will be moving in on 6-1-2004....i am sooooo excited....hopefully we can meet in person one day soon....as for my age group....just made 46....depending on what happens with this house, is the deciding factor on what i will be doing....the main thing right now, is to get down there..... later...kerry laugh
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/07/03 10:28 AM
Kerry,

I would love to visit Corozal. I will be in Ac for 10 days. How far is Corozal from Ac and should I try visiting Corozal or the Cayo Dist?
KE
Posted By: kerry Re: Christmas Toys??Clothing?Books? - 12/08/03 08:59 AM
hi ke...not sure of the mileage between ac and corozal, but, it's an approx. 1 1/2 hour water taxi ride, on the thunderbolt, or 10 - 15 minute flight on tropic air...i've never been to the cayo district, so i couldn't recommend anything there...so much in belize i haven't seen or done!!! i enjoyed corozal....met some great people...checked out a couple of the ruins (cerros & santa rita)....went to copper bank, and had lunch at "the last resort"...stayed at tj's guest house...they made me feel like part of the family....all in all, had a terrific time...where ever you decide to go, i'm sure you will have a great time....kerry
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board