AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Restaurant Recommendations?

Posted By: Rich Gallagher

Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 08:03 AM

A friend and I are visiting Ambergris Caye for a week in March. I've been there just once (for a few hours while on a cruise), so I'd appreciate some restaurant recommendations. We're staying at the Mayan Princess.

Thanks -- great message board!
Posted By: Phoenix East

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 09:54 AM

Calientes, Elvis, Sharks Bar and most any Beach Barbq on Sunday is good, although ive only had from BC's and Crazy Canuks. Pizza from most anyplace, including paulys, and Sharks bar, as well as pepperonis pizza are swell choices. Georges for breakfast and for a good steak go to Jade Garden, a bit expensive but higher quality food, worth it. I would say that most everything on the island if not everything is good. TIP:Try the smaller places too, they sometimes are just as good if not better than the bigger more fancier places, even cheaper and larger portions and it gives you a chance to meet a wider varity of locals.
Posted By: Marie

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 12:01 PM

One of the best places I know is a Jamaican place near the dock. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. It really is terrific. Its on the same side street (at the end, left side) where all the little restaurant kiosks live. The owner will make whatever you desire. Also, try Ambergris Delights. Looks dreadful, but they have fine fish. When you get sick of Belizian food, try Sweet Basil over the cut. Mickey's has a good Mexican platter - its enough for two. If you get over to Caye Caulker, try Rasta Pasta. Last year we went to a tapa place (your hotel can tell you the name). It was quite nice for when you are Belized out! Have fun, and make sure to locate the Jamaican place. Yum.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 03:09 PM

She's referring to Jambel's Jerk Pit (Jamaican)and Casa Picasso (tapas)

Phoenix - on another post, you stated you lived on AC for 8 months...how is it possible, in your words
"although i've only had from BC's and Crazy Canuks" ?
- sad commentary on experiencing what the island has to offer, epicurially speaking. It appears, then, that your recommendations are based upon the experiences of others, and not those of your own. While your selections may be right on, they lack any personal experience to make a valid opinion.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 03:49 PM

I guess one wouldn't have time to experience all that AC has to offer if one is completely absorbed with conducting extensive market research for a roller coaster/archery operation.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 04:23 PM

Meant only had beach bbq from BC's and Crazy's.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 05:04 PM

Fab food in town -
Blue Water Grill
Taste of Thailand
Elvi's
El Patio.
Posted By: dietdew

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 05:24 PM

We really enjoyed Papis. Local food. Really good.
Posted By: KWIBMF

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 05:41 PM

I love it when someone is so eager to jump on another poster that they end up making a fool of themself.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 06:20 PM

me too.
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 06:31 PM

For breakfast/brunch El Divino at Banana Beach has terrific eggs benedict.
I also love the individual pizzas. One of those, with a mozzarella/tomato salad and a glass of white wine is wonderful.

A few more favorites.

The tour guide at Cocina Carumba. Snapper or other fresh fish wrapped in foil with onion, peppers, spices etc.. and steamed.

Ginger rum shrimp at Caliente.

Chicken sandwich at Sweet Basil.
Posted By: Tranquilo Traveler

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 07:28 PM

For delicious Cajun/Caribbean cuisine, go to </B>Mango’s,

sandwiched on the beach between Ruby’s and the library; the menu features 140 items, including gumbo (US$5 a bowl), shrimp jambalaya (US$15), and all kinds of smoothies and frufie drinks.
Posted By: ServaCat

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 08:03 PM

Is it true that Mango's has tofu items on the menu?

Seems like I heard that somewhere.
Posted By: wonderwoman

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 09:55 PM

If you like French/Thai, try Rendezvous Restaurant & Winery, north of town...226-3426 for reservations!
Posted By: mobunny

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 10:07 PM

Servacat - Taste of Thailand has tofu dishes. I have never eaten at Mangoes so I don't know about them but would be very interested to know if they do. mobunny
Posted By: seashell

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 10:09 PM

My favorites are Jambel's Jerk, Ambergris Delight and Papi's. To me, these are places with a more local flavor.
Posted By: ServaCat

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 10:29 PM

Mobunny - I'll be there in February and plan to eat at Mango's. I'll let you know if tofu is on the menu and if it's any good.
Posted By: john robertsdenver

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 10:38 PM

hola John in denver here, i'm coming, thank god jan 21, for a week, and just want good belizian food... no frills.. just good fish, beans, rice, fry bread and eggs for breakfast nothing fancy,reasonable just down home style stuff... i'm a chef by trade but in belize i want authentic and real good. spent most of my time b4 on caulker thanks guys and gals and man i can't wait :>)
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/14/04 10:43 PM

You'll like Georges
Posted By: Seachange

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 12:11 AM

For breakfast, Ruby's Cafe and La Popular are both great for pastry. I recall another good breakfast that I think was across the street from the Airport. Thanks to the rest of you for postings that brought back nice food memories.

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 12:49 AM

Hey Chloe,

I guess you're right - I hereby retract, rather than delete laugh

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 02:27 AM

Glad ole Chloe could help out......hardly get that chance with KLC, because you are so quick with the good information and websites. You are so appreciated on this board for your sincere heart, that loves a joke or alittle fun. Hell Yeah!!!

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 02:38 AM

hell yeah wink

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 02:55 AM

Back to the subject: My vote goes to Caliente's.

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 03:26 AM

and for yummy,local food and inexpensive, (another gem waiting to be found, IMO) don't forget Antojitos San Telmo - take out or eat-in with the locals!
Posted By: KathyA

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 04:13 AM

I had a really good breakfast at Cafe Ole.
Posted By: john robertsdenver

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 04:15 AM

ok guys and dolls jan21 to jan28 if you see a big guy with a big grin chowin down alone thats me!! john from denver stayin at conch shell and eatin at georges rubys and la popular thanks coachlynn; antojitos thanks klcman and caliente's thanks chloe you can't miss me, i'll be chowin and smilin stop by and i'll buy you one...or two john stamper... conch shell hotel thanks

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 05:50 AM

True breakfast at Cafe Ole is not to be missed, good coffee too.

Sandwich on Cafe Ole's porch is great to watch the new arrivals off Tropic Air, with their big smiles.
Posted By: Rich Gallagher

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/15/04 06:23 AM

Thanks for all of the recommendations. It sounds like there are lots of great places to check out.
Posted By: allrightguy

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/16/04 03:52 AM

During my 2 most recent visits to San Pedro (10 days in November and 10 days this month) I was blown away by the quality of food, excellent service, very moderate prices,and warm hospitality of a fairly new local place, Caramba's on Pescador St. Every dish is a masterpiece. They have only been open about 8 months, but they are not to be missed. As much as we wanted to try many places, my group and I ate there 4 nights out of 10 earlier this month.

Another new place that is doing a terrific job on everything on their menu is Stained Glass Pub on Barrier Reef Drive ( Front St). Jim and Marie opened in February of 2003. You should definitely have a lunch or dinner there. They are great. In addition, after much field research conducted by myself and two friends, they won the January award for the best Key Lime pie on the Caye.

I am going back to San Pedro on Jan. 30 for 10 days and cannot wait to darken their doorways again. There are so many great places on eat in San Pedro-It's hard to make a bad choice. Enjoy!
Posted By: RestandRelaxationatLast

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/17/04 07:03 AM

Was there last month and thought Elvi's and Caliente were both very good.
Posted By: Ellie

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/19/04 09:22 PM

My vote goes to El Patio for food, ambiance and cheerfulness. Prices are great too. Ask for home made tartar sauce for spicy fish fingers and home made 'italian' dressing for salad. Warm ceviche was unusual and amazing.

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/19/04 09:25 PM

Ellie, Warm cerviche? Explain please. Never heard of such, sounds interesting,
Posted By: Ellie

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/19/04 09:33 PM

Well, I'm not sure if it was a happy accident or a planned occurance. For instance, did it stay out of the refridgerator and next to the stove too long? Did it not have enough time to marinate (cook) so they blanched it and then marinated? All I know is that it arrived slightly warmer than room temperature and deeelicious. I had the lobster/conch/shrimp version. Like wine, it had so much more flavor than when it is too chilly. IMO
Posted By: Teenah

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/19/04 11:46 PM

Don't forget the street vendors! More rice and beans with stewed chicken than one person can eat for only $5 Belize.

Oh and Rich...when you check into the Mayan Princess, please say hello to my girlfriend Vianey for me!

Teenah
Posted By: Ricky

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/25/04 10:57 PM

Originally posted by wonderwoman:
If you like French/Thai, try Rendezvous Restaurant & Winery, north of town...226-3426 for reservations!
Right on Wonder Women!
Posted By: Turnbun1971

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/28/04 05:21 AM

By far and away, the best meal I had on AC was at the Stained Glass Pub. Great Long Island Iced teas, too. Everyone in our group (4 of us) concurred it was the best meal of the week-long trip. And we all got something different.

Caliente's was awesome for dinner, not so much for lunch (I thought the lunch was horrible, and no one in my group said they'd recommend the lunch there).

Loved Jambel's Jerk Pit. We ate there twice.

Estel's is a perfect breakfast spot. Gotta love Johnny cakes!!

Have fun! I'm jealous!
Posted By: indygal

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/28/04 11:17 PM

Well, I had thought I might be able to add something here but no, you have listed all my favorites. Where is the stain glass pub? SP is the only place I have ever been where your food is always served hot -as in right off the stove to your table. Wish the resturants back in Indy could figure out how to do that. All in all I would say the food has been good everywhere, and if I managed to pick something I did not care for my husband ate it and gave me his. Not only will he eat anything, he is a great guy too. smile
Posted By: KWIBMF

Re: Restaurant Recommendations? - 01/28/04 11:25 PM

Stained Glass Pub is just north of Fido's on same side of the road.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board