AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Bringing alcohol into Belize?!

Posted By: Tania

Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/27/04 03:44 AM

Hi all ... we are leaving for Belize next month and will be there for Valentine's Day smile . Coming in from the US, can we bring a bottle of champagne or wine?

Not sure if it can cross over through customs ...

Many thanks (sorry for the dumb question),
Tania
Posted By: klcman

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/27/04 04:27 AM

yes
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/27/04 11:58 PM

The Belize Customs Declaration form you fill out when you enter Belize states:

"As an arriving passenger, you are entitled to the following exemptions:

1. A. Wearing apparel, jewelry, Toilet Requisites and any portable articles in your accompanied baggage or on your person, which you might reasonably be expected to carry with you for your own regular and private use.

2. B. If you are 18 years or older -- and not returning from a visit to a neighboring Border Town or City -- One litre total of wine or spirits and 250 grams of tobacco or 50 cigar or 200 cigarettes."

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: KathyA

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/28/04 12:32 AM

I took two litres of Absolut AND a small bottle of vermouth. I do love my martinis! I know I was over the limit but I figured the worst thing they could do was take it from me. I had read premium liquors were very expensive but I have since read that they are not THAT much more expensive. In other words, don't torture yourself by carrying a litre of vodka in your carry-on to save a few $$$. I couldn't tell you the exact difference...maybe somebody else can.
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/28/04 12:40 AM

I think Lan's the authority and whoever that is above me (I forgot when I hit 'reply') is correct.

However, also note:

3. C. Any outside person (or persons) of known or unknown origin, when bringing alcohol for consumption across the borders of Belize or Nebraska, must bring enough for everyone. wink
Posted By: KathyA

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/28/04 01:06 AM

Well, Catatonic Motivator, I was traveling with a group of 10 people and yes I did share. The owner of the villa we rented suggested that we all bring a litre of our favorite to stock the bar so it wouldn't have to come out of our grocery fund. That whole situation is another story...but let it suffice to say that I was glad I did because only one other person brought anything. And the ones who didn't were the very ones to complain about the grocery bill although they were very happy to eat/drink what Maria generously served up.
Posted By: bill b

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 01/28/04 01:15 AM

aside from the higher price are spirits like absolut, grey goose or bombay safire available
Posted By: papa D

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 02/12/04 11:29 PM

does any store carry crown royal?
Posted By: f095

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 02/12/04 11:40 PM

Do they carry johnny walker?
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 02/13/04 12:05 AM

Just for grins, I checked some of the booze prices in the Island Market. Just the ones I was interested in of course. $40BZ for a 750Ml bottle of Stoli or Absolut.
Posted By: toad

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 02/13/04 01:04 AM

no, they just set it on the shelf....
Posted By: Phoenix East

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 02/14/04 08:02 PM

Toad, now that was funny! Ive never heard so much about bringing liquer into Belize. No worries. They have plenty of it, its the main event on the island. I am dying for a ice cold beliken!!!!!!
Posted By: f095

Re: Bringing alcohol into Belize?! - 02/14/04 09:07 PM

Thanks Toad, that was very funny. I am relieved that johnny is on the shelf.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board