AmbergrisCaye.com Home

A couple questions about stay in May

Posted By: Honeybee

A couple questions about stay in May - 02/15/04 04:53 PM

I've read about the weather online but it would be nice to hear from somewho lives there..what is the weather like in May? alot of rain?

How far is town from south end if you are walking(Villas at Banyan Bay to be specific)? Should we bother with renting a golf cart?

Hubby also wants to know if there is any place to actually golf down there too.

Thanks....you all are a great help!! cool
Posted By: Richard Chambers

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/15/04 05:16 PM

Here's a link for the hotel locations along the island.It's a bit far to walk, maybe a mile or so.
//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndetail.html :p
Posted By: NYgal

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/15/04 05:36 PM

http://www.belizegolf.cc/

Take Money smile
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/15/04 05:53 PM

You can play golf on Caye Chappel, two cayes south. Cost about $200/$250 per day. Very nice course and they furnish clubs if you wish.

Ernie
Posted By: Dave in WSNC

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/16/04 05:48 AM

I am going to AC in May as well. I have read that it can rain a bit in May, but also have read that the rainy season starts in June. Would like to hear from some that have been there in May, or live there. Also, plan on diving, including Turneffe, do you need a light windbreaker for the boat? Thanks for the info
Posted By: Phoenix East

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/16/04 10:26 AM

No windbreakers needed, maybe just in case, doubt youll use it, especially during the day. Ive done the blue hole, turneffe\lighthouse trip myself 3 times all over night trips. I slept in a t shirt and laid on a sleeping bag out on the dock, dont imagine a windbreaker will be used, but nice to be safe if the wind becomes a factor. The weather is like most tropical destinations, unpredictable. Ive dove in rain before, didnt change a thing. I can tell ya that rain clouds down there blow by so fast you could go in to use a restroom in your apartment and come back out and would have rained, not to say that it cant rain longer, but you get my drift. I would say June and July were the wettest months I ever spent there, and if I recall October was rainy too, but I dont think its a specific schedule when the rains come and go, all do to convection and moisture from the warm ocean. I only spent 8 months down there, but thats what I have come up with. Its a great place, your gonna love it!
Posted By: nancyo

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/16/04 07:42 PM

Hey Dave in WSNC - when in May are you going? My husband and I from Clayton/Raleigh, NC are going to be the AC May 28 - June 6th.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/16/04 07:46 PM

Caye Chapel's 18-hole, PGA rated course is really one of the best courses in the Caribbean. It is expensive, but the price includes a full day of golf, cart, clubs, lunch, etc. and for a serious duffer it's worth the money. You can also stay there in a villa or cabana and play golf all day every day.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/16/04 07:47 PM

And if you want something cheaper, there's Roaring River's 9-hole "jungle course" near Belmopan. A bargain at around $20, and of course it comes with the required crocs in the water hazards.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: cheri

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 02:17 AM

Judging by your remarks, I am gathering that May is not terribly rainy. I am traveling with my daughters (college age) and they want some tanning weather. What has your experience been concerning the rain in May?? I know you're not a meteorologist... but what has your experience been??
Originally posted by Phoenix East:
No windbreakers needed, maybe just in case, doubt youll use it, especially during the day. Ive done the blue hole, turneffe\lighthouse trip myself 3 times all over night trips. I slept in a t shirt and laid on a sleeping bag out on the dock, dont imagine a windbreaker will be used, but nice to be safe if the wind becomes a factor. The weather is like most tropical destinations, unpredictable. Ive dove in rain before, didnt change a thing. I can tell ya that rain clouds down there blow by so fast you could go in to use a restroom in your apartment and come back out and would have rained, not to say that it cant rain longer, but you get my drift. I would say June and July were the wettest months I ever spent there, and if I recall October was rainy too, but I dont think its a specific schedule when the rains come and go, all do to convection and moisture from the warm ocean. I only spent 8 months down there, but thats what I have come up with. Its a great place, your gonna love it!
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 02:23 AM

May is generally the dryest month.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 02:57 AM

who ar eyou going with in May? I have been there twice and it shouldn't be rainy in May. When it rains, it is breif periods of rain.
KE
Posted By: Rick and Linda

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 03:25 AM

Greetings all...
We're newbies here and are trying to plan a trip to Ambergris Caye. We are looking for ideas on where to stay, adventures etc. We want to dive, play, relax...start all over again.
Thanks for any ideas.
Rick and Linda
Posted By: Dave in WSNC

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 05:58 AM

Hello Nancyo

We are going to AC May 2 thru May 9. This will be our first trip to AC. Been to Cozumel many times, mostly in April, and assumed that the climate and rain in AC would be similar to what I encounter there.

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 11:29 AM

Cheri, Just make sure they are careful as the sun down there is alot closer to the earth. 15 minutes in the sun is equal to, I would say an hour or more in most parts of the states. You will burn before you even know it happened. Try to ware a sun block for most the time, and when ya lay out, assuming the sky is clear, keep it under an hour, say 30 minutes per side,(untill ya find out your sensitivity than more I guess)if its pretty cloudy you can get away with more. Remember that when its coudy that doesnt mean you cannot get burned.

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 11:46 AM

Rick and Linda, Its a very common question your asking. Pick something that fits your personal preferences, youll find that you can pretty much chose any place to stay that fits your budget, and love it! Everyone is nice down there! If you want to be in town, walking distance from everything, or if you want to be away from town, where youll need a cab, bike, scooter or golfcart. Your choice. You cannot go wrong on the island though, full of very friendly and kind people. Stay beach side and youll be all good. Ive stayed with the hideaway, which after some 20 years or so is now closed, and also the Yacht club. Everyone likes everywhere they stay, so its kinda your choice, find out the locations and services available to you at each place. I prefer to be near town myself. As for diving, the island has many diveshops, and are all very professional with well seasoned divemasters. I cant suggest one over the other but I can tell ya this or should I say heres a hint, some have newer, bigger, faster more comfortable boats than others, comparing prices I think youll find they are all pretty much the same, although some may have specials on certain days. Bringing your own gear sometimes isnt worth it as most the shops have really nice new, well maintained and most importantly safe, gear available for 15 bucks or so. Make sure ya do hol chan and shark ray alley, always fun to dive that, a shallow dive but lots of fish, rays and sharks and my favorite, the night dive. Eat everywhere, even the really small places are very good sometimes even better than the bigger ones. The food is excellent down there. So enjoy and hope that helped ya a little. I know it was kinda indirect as to a particular place, but like I said, you really cant chose a "bad" place on the island to stay, and everyone is very very kind hearted. Have fun
Posted By: nancyo

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 08:28 PM

Dave, sorry we will miss you - but you'll be back before we go - so you can supply us with all of your tips! This will be our first trip to AC also - been to many other islands, but not this one. Can't wait. Have fun. NancyO
Posted By: cheri

Re: A couple questions about stay in May - 02/17/04 10:34 PM

Phoenix: Thanks for the info - I am going to forward these responses to my sun worshipping girls. I am getting a good feel that May is not as rainy as I had originally read. That is a good thing! I am anxious for my daughters to see this place... and me too!!!
Originally posted by Phoenix East:
Cheri, Just make sure they are careful as the sun down there is alot closer to the earth. 15 minutes in the sun is equal to, I would say an hour or more in most parts of the states. You will burn before you even know it happened. Try to ware a sun block for most the time, and when ya lay out, assuming the sky is clear, keep it under an hour, say 30 minutes per side,(untill ya find out your sensitivity than more I guess)if its pretty cloudy you can get away with more. Remember that when its coudy that doesnt mean you cannot get burned.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board