AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Pics are up online

Posted By: Bobber

Pics are up online - 02/17/04 05:03 PM

Pics are loaded. I will apologize for the quality of the underwaters, I was trying a faster film that didn't pan out.

http://community.webshots.com/user/bobber211
Posted By: mobunny

Re: Pics are up online - 02/17/04 06:42 PM

Your pics are great. It is nice to see the Palms since we'll be there for two weeks come August! It looks like such a wonderful place. We are going to be staying in the third unit (single) north of Ramon's on the ground floor. Looking at your photos makes me ache to be in San Pedro. I think about our return trip everyday. Thanks so much. mobunny
Posted By: Gela

Re: Pics are up online - 02/17/04 06:53 PM

Great Photos Bobber - it's nice to put a face with the name! I am now missing AC more than ever!
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Pics are up online - 02/17/04 08:17 PM

bobber looks like a fun time .it is good to live the dream ..and you also know how to enjoy life ...great photos ..hope to fish with you one day !!!
Posted By: mikell

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 01:03 AM

thanks so much for sharing those photos...especially the one of the seafood platter at papi's!!!

checking out capt. bich's boat ...looks like a great time...and we'll be in that picture next week!!

great shots!
Posted By: kerry

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 02:39 AM

great pix bobber....thanx for sharing! kerry
Posted By: stamiya

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 04:27 AM

Bobber - thanks for the pictures. We're going in June, and now I really can't wait. Have a feeling we may not want to leave once we get there! Sharon wink
Posted By: Windsor3

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 05:05 AM

Bobber,
Great photos.
We stayed at The Palms last June, and are thinking about returning. Is your room a 2 bedroom?
Thanks,
KC
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 05:13 AM

Nice pictures, Bobber. Thanks for sharing smile
All of you seemed to be enjoying every moment.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 03:12 PM

Hi Windsor. For the first 5 nights we had one of the executive 2 bedroom suites on the 3rd floor. That's where the pics were taken. For the last 4 nights we were moved to the second floor north end unit (also a 2 bedroom)as the 3rd floor unit had been booked by someone else (we were aware of that from the get-go. I actually liked the second floor two bedroom better. While the view was a little less, the common room and kitchen were layed out a little differently (no stairway to contend with) it seemed to give a little more room. The exec suite had 2 full bathrooms (one up and one down) while the 2 bedroom had 1.5 baths. Totally sufficient in my view, as we were used to 4 adults sharing one bath. The second floor unit also had a rear veranda overlooking the pool area, nice when it was extremely windy or rainy. I would book back there anytime. Personally, after renting condos and villas in so many places, I would have a hard time just doing a hotel style room. Nothing like having your own private space to congregate.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 03:21 PM

We also got a peek at some of the one bedroom units, a good size bedroom and a little den that had a single bed in it. The rest of the space was the same as the 2 bedroom units, so they were quite comfortable also. The ground floor units each have a nice front patio area with steps down to the front yard (sand, raked daily) with loungers, separated from the beach area by a fence with little gates and foliage. Not quite the view of the upper units, but plenty of sun in the yard and shade on the patio. All the units have hooks for a hammock, which you can pick up at the office for a small fee. Nice.
Posted By: Windsor3

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 05:13 PM

Bobber,
Thanks for the great information.
I think we stayed in the 2 bedroom w/o stairs that you did (or one very similar). We thought it was perfect, except, I do have to say, the a/c didn't work, and at times it was HOT. Of course we got used to it...
KC

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 05:43 PM

The 2 bedroom we were in (unit 24) did not have central air, but had a window unit in the common area and both bedrooms along with ceiling fans and everything worked fine and kept the whole unit nice and cool at the low settings.
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: Pics are up online - 02/18/04 07:10 PM

Really great pics! Thanks for sharing them!
Posted By: nancyo

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 04:03 AM

Thanks so much for sharing the photos. My hubby and I have a 2nd floor one bedroom condo booked for 8 nights in May to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary - your photos just confirmed that we made the right decision. As you, we love renting condos on various islands, rather than resort/hotels. Thanks again! NancyO

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 04:52 AM

Bobber, what type of camera did you use for the underwater photos? We travel alot to sunny islands, and have always used disposable underwater cameras with great results. We are actually thinking of purchasing an underwater camera, and was just wondering what you used for these great photos. We are also staying at The Palms and can't wait for May to get here!
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 02:28 PM

Great pixs, Bobber, thanks. Glad to get more info about the Palms as well.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 03:37 PM

Hi Nancyo. I used a Sealife Reefmaster with strobe. About a $400 dollar outfit. I am disapointed with these pics, previous ones were much better. I used a faster film this time and the results weren't as good as I've had with slower film. My brother-in-law got some better shallow shots with a throwaway (good to 30 ft), the only advantage I had was the bigger flash ( which is only an advantage under 10 feet or so, or deeper depths) I also do a lot of snap shooting, just to see what happens. The above water pics were done with my new Fuji A210. 3.2 mp, and a 128 meg card giving me 160 pictures at highest resolution. God, I love that thing. No more waiting to see how pictures come out. I might just add another album with previous underwater pics to see the difference. Just as a side note, these throwaways that are good to 30 feet will typically go deeper (but no guarantees). My friends have had them down to 50 with no problem.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 04:12 PM

I just added another album with some of the underwater shots from our '02 trip to show what the faster film cost me in pictures.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 04:21 PM

Yes, those are nicer in clarity, thanks for sharing those as well.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 09:51 PM

Bobber - thanks for the camera info - we were looking at the Reefmaster (my husband's idea, of course!). We have always used the disposables for snorkeling with great results, so was just wondering if it's worth switching the the Reefmaster, as we don't dive. Thanks again!

Re: Pics are up online - 02/19/04 10:31 PM

Actually, you might be able to get away with the less expensive versions if you don't dive. IMHOP, the reefmaster camera probably costs less to manufacture than the enclosure does it's just a point and shoot thing. I would think that the lesser versions probably use the same basic camera with a different lens and enclosure. All you are getting for the extra money on the RC version is a more ruggedized (rubberized) enclosure. If you may want to upgrade in the future, you can add the strobe. Normally for snorkeling you shouldn't need the strobe. Also check out the Bonica cameras. I picked the RC because I wanted something I could take below 100' if I needed to.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 01:13 AM

Bobber -

Inquiring minds wanna know - what was your new ( unhappy with results) film and the slower speed you prefer?

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 01:35 AM

Take a look at the pics. The faster film needed more light, which the flash and ambient couldn't supply unless I was really close. The current pics are pretty faded.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 01:36 AM

I should have been using either ASA100 or 200. I got a deal on some 400. Some deal.
Posted By: Angelo

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 01:42 AM

I would imagine that if you don't use it often, that you'd probably be better off renting it. There are photo shops in my area that rent underwater cameras running thousands of dollars for a few hundred a week or less. Of course, you are responsible with a credit card deposit. I think Blue Hole divers rents them. As far as film, I did an interesting experiment in St. Croix last year. I brought about 20 rolls of everything from Fuji Reala and Provia to AGFA Optima and several Kodaks, as well as a few professional slide and print films and all in speeds ranging ISO 50 to 800. This was not a cheap experiment, but I needed to find out first hand. I bracketed a lot of the shots for exposure and shot most of them with and without flash. I was using a $50 underwater point-and-shoot(non-disposable). Of all the shots(about 300) the sharpest, most saturated, and best exposure came from those taken with Kodak Royal Gold 200. Of course, you have to get them processed at a lab that does Kodak Sea Processing, or something similar, so they develop to compensate for and remove the blue cast. My local dive shop did the Kodak Sea Processing for about 15% more per roll than normal processing, which really isn't bad. The photos turn out incredible when the blue cast is removed. I also noticed that the flash shots flattened a lot of the photos and removed a lot of detail and character from them. However, if you're deep, you can't avoid using the flash. I did notice though, that if you back off of the subject and use the flash as fill, you get great results when your fill flash exposes the otherwise shadow areas under Elkhorn coral strands.

Oh, and the 800 speed was Fuji Pro NPZ 800 Print. This is expensive, but very good. The local photo shop advised me that the grain was excellent even though it's 800. I've seen other high speed films underwater and the grain is really bad. I agree from the results of my tests though, and if you don't want to use flash at all, then this is the way to go. However, the Kodak Royal Gold is much cheaper and I think works just as well, especially if you're just snorkeling and have lots of ambient light.

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 01:55 AM

Seems like a lot of work. I just play at it on vacation, and use the pics to refresh my memory. I don't try and tell a story or anything, just try to capture a little snapshot in time. I will however take your advice on the film next time. Live and learn. Thanks for the input.

Nice Avatar wink

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 01:58 AM

I did use the Sea processing on my pics from Culebra last year and I didn't notice a lot of difference. I have a feeling it may have been the personnel in the booth and not the procedure. The pics themselves didn't have the clarity I would have expected.
Posted By: Angelo

Re: Pics are up online - 02/20/04 02:37 AM

I like the pictures of the Grouper and the eel. It's quite amazing how the flash can bring all that color back into the subject when it strikes it.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board