AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Fishing flies query

Posted By: C from UK

Fishing flies query - 03/01/04 09:31 PM

We are coming to AC at the end of the year and my husband is about to start tying some flies for Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon. He would just like to know if it is necessary to add weed guards to them for fishing AC. He is fishing with Capt.Bicho for a few days but would like to know if flyfishing the cut area would be any good and what he would be likely to catch from the beach there as that is where we are staying. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: goody2shuz

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/01/04 11:09 PM

there's a guy Angelo who would know alot about that...read a post from him the other day and it was quite informative...Angelo if you see this, perhaps you can help out laugh Meanwhile..go to the search and type in honeymoon...I think it was under a thread where a couple from Alaska were honeymooning in AC and the husband to be had made up over 100 ties for bonefishing. Good luck smile
Posted By: goody2shuz

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/01/04 11:12 PM

Found it under 'AC for fishing snorkeling and fun' thread ...hope this helps you out smile
Posted By: Mel S

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/01/04 11:28 PM

Originally posted by C from UK:
We are coming to AC at the end of the year and my husband is about to start tying some flies for Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon. He would just like to know if it is necessary to add weed guards to them for fishing AC. He is fishing with Capt.Bicho for a few days but would like to know if flyfishing the cut area would be any good and what he would be likely to catch from the beach there as that is where we are staying. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
We've done well using Crazy Charlies, mostly white and with flashabou material. Micro jigs, 1/60 onces, with white marabou feather materials,work out well. Chartreuse, yellow, and hot pink can hit too sometimes. Clousers, and deceivers are good too at times. Of course every fisherman or fly-casters always find their own flies. Very-best-Wishes, Mel S......
Posted By: Angelo

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/02/04 02:34 AM

Actually, I'm not really sure about this one myself. I think what I'm going to do is add some simple monofilament guards in the shape of a V (40 lb test dia.)to act as a simple weed guard on about 25% of my Bonefish flies. Normally, I'd think it would be a problem if all your Charlies and Gotchas were tied with heavy lead eyes, as they will go deep into the Turtle grass, and fast too. However, since most people that I've talked to about AC and most articles that I've read have suggested light bead-chain, mono eye, or unweighted(because they're in thin water and spooky); I would assume that they're not going to go that deep into the grass to cause a problem. The other side of the coin though is that obviously there's a lot of grass near shore. From most of the article I've read, it is suggested that at least some of your flies are tied with weed guards. I'd actually like to hear someone else's opinion on this subject. I'm going to send my guide an e-mail and ask him what he thinks, as he ties his own flies for Bones. I'll post his reponse.

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/02/04 10:18 PM

Thanks everybody for all the info -this is such a great message board - haven't found one like this anywhere else - can't wait to go to AC, everybody seems so friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/02/04 10:19 PM

Thanks everybody for all the info -this is such a great message board - haven't found one like this anywhere else - can't wait to go to AC, everybody seems so friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/02/04 10:22 PM

whoops, sorry, posted that twice. got to get used to this.

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/02/04 11:14 PM

Originally posted by C from UK:
where do you live in the UK ? About 6 years ago we traveled to Aviemore, Scotland. The flyfishing was incredible ! We never caught any Atlantic Salmon, but we caught some wonderful German Brown trout. You should do well in Belize, it is a beautiful part of the world. If you have some extra time, you may want to try fishing near Placentia. The permit fishing was great. best-wishes, mel

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/03/04 01:07 AM

Hi Mel
We're from Hertfordshire - about 30 miles North of London - out in the countryside a bit. Thanks for the info about Placentia - shall look that up.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/03/04 01:10 AM

better spell it Placencia, though,otherwise you'll get a lot of useless inforamtion relative to Belize :p

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/03/04 02:06 AM

Originally posted by klcman:
better spell it Placencia, though,otherwise you'll get a lot of useless inforamtion relative to Belize :p
Mea Culpa.......thanks for the correction. Love that Manta Ray ! ms
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/03/04 05:18 AM

www.placencia.com

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/03/04 11:57 AM

Thanks again everybody! - (shall try to make sure I don't post this one twice!)

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/04/04 02:32 AM

Well, I said that I would post the response from my guide regarding the question of needing weed guards on your Bonefish flies. Apparently, he also feels that you should bring at least some of your Charlies and Gotchas with weed guards. He also advised me to bring some with small bead-chain eyes instead of all blind and mono.

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 04:45 PM

Great Stuff Angelo! Thanks again.
Posted By: mango

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 04:52 PM

Some of the best permit fishing in the world if not the best is located in Southern Belize at El Pescador PG. Awesome lodge located on the Rio Grande river surronded by Triple canopy jungele. I just returned from there last week and caught 5 (five) permit on the fly in 4 days. Hundereds of fish seen each day and dozens of shot per day.

Tight lines
Mango

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 07:14 PM

Mango,

I had actually considered PG. It was pretty much a toss-up considering other things that I wanted to do. 5 Permit? Rub it in why don't you. Hopefully they won't just cruise by, mocking me with their tail high :rolleyes:

~ I fish for Permit because the voices in my head tell me to ~
Posted By: mango

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 09:50 PM

If you don't here the voices you are not a permit fisherman. El Pescador PG is totally awesome you deserve to got there and check it out.

Mango

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 10:58 PM

Permit or any fish in that pampano family are really awesome ! I only use an Eight weight with a roll of sound backings because you will need it if you hit a good one. Live crabs on a medium spinning rod will do it too sometimes. Have you fisherman ever watched "The Spanish Fly" fishing show on ESPN ? The host Jose Wejebe, he knows his stuff and it's really fun to watch it. The last time it was on early Saturday morning. These days I've been fishing for rainbow trout in missouri, but I am ready for some fishing, snorkeling, and Sailing in Belize !
Posted By: Chicamundo

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 11:13 PM

MelS, You mentioned that you are from Hertforshire, I was there ten years ago visiting my friend in Hitchins. What a lovely part of England! I really enjoyed the country side. When will you be in AC? We will be there March 25th through the 3rd of April. A large group, four couples for sun, fun and relaxing!!

Regards,

Rosie
Posted By: Chicamundo

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/05/04 11:14 PM

Ooops, sory, I just realized it was C from UK that is from Hertfordshire! My booboo....

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/06/04 01:14 AM

Hey Mel S,

I watch Jose all the time. That guy has it made. He gets the fish, the girls, the boats... He does know his stuff and you can learn a lot from him. He's also funny as hell. In fact, this past weekend he aired a gig down on the flats in the Bahamas for Bones and he stuck his camera man with a #4 slider on a backcast.

Re: Fishing flies query - 03/07/04 05:02 PM

Hi, Chicamundo/Rosie - Hertfordshire is lovely (when the sun's shining!) - Hitchin is about 15 miles from us. We're in AC over Christmas and New Year 2004 and hubby is starting to tie his flies now - the holiday can't come quick enough!! Thanks to everyone for all their help on this message - Anyone need anything to know about flyfishing in the UK and hubby will be pleased to answer.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board