AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: scubalover Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/13/04 08:05 PM
We're still 60 days out (and counting) and I've got a short list of stuff to bring back! The first is Barrel 1 rum. Is that stuff everywhere and/or where is the best place to pick some up. Also, what's the cost of a bottle?
The second item is do-rags. I'm told there's a lady who runs a dress shop just down from Fido's who makes these from leftover scraps of material. My instructions are to buy her out! Does anyone know the name of this shop and where exactly it's located?
Any info is appreciated!... I can't wait to get there! Thanks! smile
Posted By: edina Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/13/04 09:38 PM
Hi, we just got back from AC (our 5th trip) and the name of the shop you're looking for is Isla Bonita Designs. The owners are Aida and Sami and not only will you find do-rags but they have great made to order clothes. From Fidos head down about one more block, they are right next door to the Stained Glass Pub. I've been buying stuff from them for several years...if you do get there say "hi" to them from Louise and Jay
Posted By: sean Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/13/04 09:52 PM
HI JUST GOT BACK TOO! GET THE BARREL RUM -AT THE DUTY FREE LIQUOR SHOP AT THE AIRPORT WHEN YOU ARE LEAVING. ITS ABOUT $6.00 U.S. SHOP PRICES AT THE AIRPORT, THEY ARE ALL NOT THE SAME PRICE AT EACH STORE! HAVE FUN-ITS A GREAT TRIP.
Posted By: KBG Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/14/04 12:48 AM
1 BARREL IS NOT LIKE TYPICAL SPICED RUM FROM MOST ISLANDS, GET IT AT THE AIRPORT OR ANY STORE ON SP AND BRING SOME BACK FOR YOUR MEMORIES. KGB. :p :p :p
Posted By: sandb Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/14/04 02:17 AM
Isla Bonita Designs...two wild women with great product.

I can go in there in the AM, pick out material, and have a shirt done by 4.
Posted By: scubalover Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/15/04 09:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will print out this page and take it with me! The do-rags are for the owner of my local dive shop who wasn't able to get any when he was there last because the group he was with bought them out of house and home! Come to think of it... the rum is for him too! laugh
Posted By: RockyHeap Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/16/04 01:45 AM
We just got back from A.C.........a horrid silence filled the room as we were un-packing our dive bag, only to find that UN-TOUCHED 1 liter of One Barrel had broken! Seattle to Belize is a long way to go back and yell at the backage handlers at the airport......BUT, at least the scuba wet suits soaked up most all the rum so now just a good suck on an arm for a quick buzz and mental re-lapse to belize.....

Can you buy 1 barrel in Miami or in the states anywhere? Maybe some Florida relatives can ship us a case?
Posted By: klcman Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/16/04 02:13 AM
I could be wrong (have been once before in my life - just took too damned long to figure it out) but since spiritous liquors are controlled via state revenue departments, it is illegal to ship/purchase adult beverages across state lines......so doubtful you will be able to make that happen. However, certain "friends" you may find MIGHT be able to bring you some back.

(next time, try placing it in those wonderful ziplock bags...that way, at least you could strain it! wink
Posted By: DJH Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 03/17/04 12:43 AM
The barrel rum store will mail two bottles at a time to the states. They wrap it real good in bubble wrap. I can't find there e-mail address but I am sure someone will come up with it or put a new post up asking for it.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 04:23 AM
&nbsp Hi Magoo,
the Rum and Cigar House is the outfit that I think you're talking about. Mail to [email protected] or call 011 501 226-2020 for more information. You can also order on-line from Belize Gifts ar www.belizegifts.com/bevs.htm if you'd like to avoid the international phone call. I've never met anyone who's bought from these guys, so I can't tell you how their customer service is.

&nbsp Those are the only options I know of if you live in Europe, but the USA and Ontario, Canada have One Barrel available on a state by state basis.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 04:32 AM
I buy one barrel in the states mail order -- not as cheap, but it keeps me going
Posted By: klcman Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 04:57 AM
hah - gotta love these nearly 4-yr old resurrections! wink
Posted By: pugwash Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 06:56 AM
Buy your I Barrel at the airport, and remember that you can take back 2 liters to the US: many shops are selling .75 liter bottles, so careful which bottles you buy

If you buy anything else liquid or gel, such as Habanera Jelly, ask them to pack it in with the Rum, (which they will try not to do), but when you re check bags, and put your spirits into checked luggage, you may be as bummed as I was last time if you forget to transfer the jelly!
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 03:48 PM
Sharp as a tac, aint ya KLC laugh
Posted By: renski Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 07:17 PM
just curious rockyheap..why wouldnt you have bought the one barrel in the plastic bottle? We brought bavk 2 1.175 (plastic) put thru our check luggage and vola; no problem all the way back to Vancouver b.c
Posted By: Chloe Re: Dress shop and Barrel 1 rum? - 02/03/08 07:34 PM
OWO saw that KLC!

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board