AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: MissSidney&Tom Kayaking Alone - 03/19/04 07:23 AM
Hi there all,

My husband & I will be heading to AC the last week of May. REALLY looking forward. I'm wondering about kayaking out to the reef. We are avid kayaks (done the Baja/Sea of Cortez things a number of times) and we have this...think we call it a DIVYAK...anyway it's a really rugged blow up job. We'd like to bring it...paddling up & down the shoreline is a great way to work off the rum...but more important, is it reasonable to take our kayak out to the reef or beyond ? I know there can be signifigant currents out there. Are we maybe better off getting a local to drop us somewhere? I've been reading the field guides but I could just use some real-life advice on whether we should drag our boat along with us...or not.

Thanks a lot all,

Sidney
Posted By: toad Re: Kayaking Alone - 03/19/04 01:45 PM
there are plenty of cayes, islands, and fishermen......just take a cell phone....
Posted By: Big Frank Re: Kayaking Alone - 03/19/04 04:34 PM
Yes, you can paddle out to the reef and tie off[cuidadocon los areceifes/reefs]. Many places have kayaks to rent or borrow--do you need to bring your own? there is copious area to kayak inside the reef, but as soon as you get outside, it can get dicey.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kayaking Alone - 03/20/04 12:55 AM
The reef is around a mile off-shore, and if you're comfortable with that distance then go for it. Take a sea anchor with at least 20' of line, and have the paddles attached to the kayak by line - I have lost three paddles when guests rented kayaks and lost the paddles (yes, they had to be rescued and the kayaks taken in tow). A cell phone that is known to work is a good idea, in a waterproof bag. A brightly colored flag is also a good idea, as lots of boats pass up and down at high speed and a kayak or swimmer is not that visible.
Posted By: MissSidney&Tom Re: Kayaking Alone - 03/24/04 06:08 AM
Thanks for your replies, guys. Yeah, I've lost my paddle before and the husband was none to thrilled about towing me back into shore (in our singles).
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board