AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Trash

Posted By: JohnB

Trash - 04/17/04 04:46 PM

Someone wrote that there was lots of trash behind portofino. Is the trash still there?
Posted By: SUNSHlNE

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 05:01 PM

I have been trying to decide between Portofino and Mata Chica for our honeymoon in Ausgust (I booked a tt suite at Portofino but was thinking of cancelling and taking a beachfront casita at Mata Chica--especially since the special on the fine living channel)---SO this is of great concern---
WHAT trash?

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 05:07 PM

Goto carribean magazine, there is a review you might be interested in.. It's to late for me. Everyone who has come back has really enjoyed it however...Sounds like some of the staff is a little grumpy but the locals who work there sound awesome!!

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 05:29 PM

I went to carribeanmag.com---cant find an article about portofino OR matachica...is that where you meant?

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 05:39 PM

cribbeantrip.com click on reviews
Posted By: klcman

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 07:00 PM

What a Mickey Mouse message board that place is! Somebody needs to give them a crash course in organization!!

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 07:04 PM

I agree. Im overly organized...so I thought it was just me being picky.
There were only 2 reviews fo portofino and none of mata chica so I am still in a quandry.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Trash - 04/17/04 07:23 PM

Nothing I would worry about. There is trash on the back side of the island in many places (they have to put it somewhere!!!) Won't spoil your view or trip, that's for sure.
Posted By: Chris

Re: Trash - 04/18/04 01:54 AM

Portofino is without a doubt a fantastic choice
Posted By: snoopycat

Re: Trash - 04/26/04 11:32 PM

I just returned yesterday from a week at Portofino and I am convinced that I could not have made a better choice of places to stay. We had the Royal Orchid Suite:), the nicest room in the best resort on the entire island.

The staff is exceptional. By your second day there, everyone knows what you want before you want it..they anticipate your every need. I believe it's the best staff-to-guest ratio you will find on AC.

No grumpiness here. I had only one problem all week...I tried to teach Sadie (the big loveable chocolate lab) to fetch. She loved to chase whatever you toss, but will not return it. She will try to eat whatever you throw, and, if not edible it will be quickly buried.

The beautiful accommodations are surpassed only by the ocean view and the friendly, efficient staff. Sandra and Jan have a top-shelf resort, with great management (Steve and Shari), and terrific staff...Monica, Raphael, Avi, Jessie, Jackie, Kendra, and of course Mo, to name just a few.

To give just one example: On Friday, I came down with a bad headcold and could not make it to dinner. Jessie delivered dinner to our room, and upon finding that I had a cold, made me a pot of ginger tea that put me to sleep in a matter of minutes. I awoke a few hours later feeling 100% better. I still have the lingering effects of that cold and would give anything for Jessie's receipe!!

So...if you are considering a stay at Portofino, please be assured that you are in for a week of relaxation and pampering. This is a very special place with very special people. I can't imagine anyone not liking Portofino.

Re: Trash - 04/26/04 11:40 PM

Thanks snoop, printing this for my wife..best review with just days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How was your breakfast, in rest or delivered?

Re: Trash - 04/26/04 11:55 PM

JohnB,

It seems that whatever you want is yours at Portofino. We had breakfast delivered to the room the first morning, also had one lunch ensuite, and (unfortunately, due to my headcold) we could not make it to the restaurant for our last dinner. But the staff was so gracious in delivering the meal and wine right to my king-size bed!

I really loved this place! If you are concerned about getting back and forth to town, don't worry. Mo makes the trip several times a day and will be glad to take you...just check the chalk-board at the check-in desk each morning. It will tell you when Mo is heading for town.

I really envy you...I wish I were on my way back to Portofino. Tell everyone that Harry and Susan say Hi....tell Jessie I want that ginger-tea receipe.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll be more than glad to recall my memories from last week.

Enjoy!
Snoopy

Re: Trash - 04/27/04 12:16 AM

I dont know whether to laugh or cry. I HAD a tt suite at Porofino and just 2 days ago cancelled and booked a beachfornt casita at Matachica. I had read SO much and thought the "funky" ambiance at MataChica and the spa and the plungepool were nice---it was also on the fineliving channel and looked so fab. Reviews of their restaurant were also superior. I am NOT switching back as I feel silly as it is. I hope someone out there will tell us something nice about MataChica now. thanks.

Re: Trash - 04/27/04 12:26 AM

Thanks again snoop...We have a chocolate lab too,her name is Scout WaterDog B. We will enjoy playing with Sadie while Scout is at the spa!!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Trash - 04/27/04 01:57 PM

Mata Chica is great. Relax. Enjoy.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Trash - 04/27/04 06:48 PM

Both are excellent! And very comparable.

Ginger tea - just get some fresh ginger root(available at most supermarkets in the produce section) and cut about 2 inches off - peel or just trim the outside "bark". Put in a pot with 3 or 4 cups of water and boil for 10 minutes, let sit for a minute or 2. Add honey & drink! Belizean cure all!

Re: Trash - 04/27/04 11:43 PM

Thank you, Barbara K! I had never even heard of ginger tea until I was cured by it. I'm now a true believer. It was amazing how my fever and nausea were gone after a large cup of tea and a short nap. I am printing out your receipe for future use.

JohnB...Hope Scout has as good a time at the spa as you will at Portofino. Tell me...does Scout know how to fetch? Maybe you'll be able to teach Sadie.

Sunshine...Sorry to hear you will miss out on Portofino. But, the entire island is beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy whereever you stay. Just make sure to get out and experience it all...diving, snorkeling, fishing, beach BBQ, swimming with sharks, etc. You might want to try going to Portofino for dinner one night just to see what you missed (there's always a next trip to AC)!!

Enjoy,
Snoopy

Re: Trash - 04/28/04 03:30 PM

Scout has her own agenda..she fetches when it's gets her a treat...6 working day>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Posted By: Communik8r

Re: Trash - 04/28/04 03:39 PM

Thanks for the recipe Barbara. I added a bit of club soda and taa daa! Ginger Ale

The count down continues. 7 days to paradise.
Posted By: fuzzy_navel

Re: Trash - 04/28/04 05:47 PM

snoopycat - Thanks so much for reporting on Portfino. My husband and I will be staying there in November. The reservations desk has been so prompt and courteous and they even had a sense of humor when I told them hubby wanted to know if there was a TV in the bar. So far, a pleasant experience. I'm looking forward to your full trip report, will there be pictures? I'm so excited! laugh

Re: Trash - 04/28/04 11:53 PM

Hi Fuzzy,

I just got my pictures developed and have so many nice ones in and around Portofino (most are of Sadie, who was our vacation dog). Unfortunately, I'm pretty much computer illiterate and would not know how to post pictures here (maybe someone reading this can help?). I'll have to get them scanned to a disk so I can show them here if I learn how.

You most definitely made the best choice of places to stay. Portofino is wonderful!

Let me know if you have any questions....I'll be glad to tell you all I can.

Enjoy,
Snoopy
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board