AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Chris Phone service down on island - 06/17/04 11:11 PM
If you've been trying to place a phone call to San Pedro......We had a whopping thunderstorm this afternoon and it has taken out the phone service here on Ambergris Caye. Cell phones are also affected.

We're still here! You just can't talk to us right now!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Phone service down on island - 06/17/04 11:19 PM
Strange... the DSL service is still up... on the same wires!
Posted By: Tom Re: Phone service down on island - 06/17/04 11:49 PM
If lines are out how did you send this message ?
Kat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Phone service down on island - 06/17/04 11:57 PM
Phones still out. Thank goodness for satellite!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Phone service down on island - 06/18/04 12:57 AM
Just spoke with Eileen from the San Pedro Sun. Looks like the phones will be out until at least tomorrow.
Posted By: Chris Re: Phone service down on island - 06/18/04 01:46 PM
6:45am Friday, phones are still down.

They came on for a few minutes last night.
Posted By: klcman Re: Phone service down on island - 06/18/04 11:30 PM
how does DSL work there anyway? here it's definitely on the phone line
Posted By: FIESTAFROG Re: Phone service down on island - 06/19/04 12:16 AM
Since were talking about phones and storms, what is the weather like now? We'll be in A/C tomorrow for 7 days. Trying to find out if we'll be diving or not.
Posted By: JmHanna Re: Phone service down on island - 06/19/04 01:07 AM
The lines up the coast are working--as well as they ever do!!Can not call town though.
Thats a switch, No?
Posted By: 4leafclover Re: Phone service down on island - 06/20/04 01:08 AM
Sat.6:05 PM and they're still out in town
Posted By: ckocian Re: Phone service down on island - 06/20/04 01:45 AM
Y'all need to break out the tinfoil hats. That's what we do when we are in rural Canada and it works like a charm. Also keeps the aliens from bothering us.
Posted By: specv Re: Phone service down on island - 06/20/04 05:59 AM
Originally posted by klcman:
how does DSL work there anyway? here it's definitely on the phone line
Yes from the house to the central office (or remote termination point for longer connections) it runs on phone lines. But at the CO it is combined with other DSL lines and uses Frame Relay or dedicated T1/DS3 to the internet. Of course power is necessary at the home and CO. I suspect the connections for data/DSL and phone are working to off-island, its the island telco equipment that is not working.

Jeff
Posted By: Senorfrog Re: Phone service down on island - 06/21/04 01:59 AM
Are the phones still down? Have a close friend that arrived in AC on Thursday. She had planned to contact me by phone or email (dial-up) and I have not heard from her, Just a little worried.
Thanks
Posted By: Goin Belize Re: Phone service down on island - 06/21/04 03:18 AM
Hi Vicki, I sent you an email on the 15th with questions about our stay...is your email down?
Posted By: 4leafclover Re: Phone service down on island - 06/22/04 09:58 PM
The business phones were to be fixed first, then they will get the home lines fixed. We're still waiting at home with no phone??? I can hear it when someone tries to call our line, it makes a half ring noise....that's the update we are hearing for the time being.
Posted By: Beachy Re: Phone service down on island - 06/23/04 08:21 PM
Casa Picasso's business line is still out, but my home phone works (great,like I need a home phone--I'm always in the restaurant.... :rolleyes: ) I think they'll get it back on today, If you're thinking of coming to dinner, come on in, no need to call for reservations.
Chris
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Phone service down on island - 06/23/04 10:31 PM
The phones are Caribe Island are basically out, but do come on and tease us occasionally...
Gotta love Paradise!!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board