AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: njmichael Catholic Church - 06/24/04 01:31 PM
Hi all,
The wife & I are coming to San Pedro later this year, and we are leaning towards the Holiday Hotel. The downtown map shows that there is a Catholic Church a few blocks north of there, between Pelican and Ambergris. I have a few questions about the church, I'm hoping someone can help me out with some information:

What is the name of the church?
Are the services in English?
Anyone know the time(s) of the Sunday service(s)?
Lastly, a question of etiquette. Where I live on the New Jersey shore lots of people wear shorts to mass during the summer, but I know this is considered rude and insensitive in some parts of Europe. Is it ok to wear shorts to church in Belize? I certainly don't want to offend any of the residents.

Any information anyone can provide on these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: toad Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 02:47 PM
if you are concerned what others are thinking about you in a catholic church, or any church for that matter, you need to reevaluate...
Posted By: njmichael Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 02:55 PM
Your response was less than helpful.

Not so much a "church" thing, it's just that when I'm in another country I want to respect the local customs and norms. Please don't bother to reply if you have no useful information.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 02:56 PM
And if you are worried about what Toad thinks, you are in even deeper trouble.
Shorts and sandals are ok, probably a shirt with a collar. Don't be surprised if a dog or two wanders in during the service. As I remember, it was in English, and it wasn't the stodgy affair you may be used to. You'll have to check the schedule, but I believe it was either 9 or 10. The church is right in the center of town, on the beach, can't miss it.
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 05:18 PM
You will be fine wearing shorts, needless to say bathing suits are inappropriate, but have certainly seen some tourists attend in those too. There is an English misa at 9:00. Check the schedule posted in front of the Church.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 05:51 PM
There used to be an evening service as well. And the Holiday Hotel is a great place to stay!
Posted By: njmichael Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 06:12 PM
Thanks everybody!
I was in Corozal Town earlier this month and had a stopover in San Pedro each way. Needless to say I fell in love with the place and plan to come back soon, most likely in September. I hope Holiday is within walking distance of BCs!
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Catholic Church - 06/24/04 07:39 PM
It is! Walking distance to almost everything!
Posted By: cajunman Re: Catholic Church - 06/25/04 02:32 AM
my wife and I will be down at the end of July for our 10th anniversary....what is the possibility of us getting remarried at the catholic church while we are down there??????anyone know???
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board