AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Going to Belize for the 1st time

Posted By: gv

Going to Belize for the 1st time - 06/30/04 01:18 AM

Hi - I just booked my vacation to Belize - going 5 days to San Pedro and 4 days to Placencia, August 6 to the 16th.

I have couple of concers:
1st I was planning to drive from Belize City to Placencia. Is that recommended since I read that in August it rains a lot, and it is difficult to drive?

2nd - Is it true that in August it's not very sunny and that it rains a lot. I was bummed when I read that.
Thanks -
Posted By: mobunny

Re: Going to Belize for the 1st time - 06/30/04 01:23 AM

I was in San Pedro last August for seven days. It rained once for 30 minutes on our last morning. No worries, mon. Go forth and enjoy. 37 days and counting - mobunny
Posted By: Djean

Re: Going to Belize for the 1st time - 06/30/04 03:57 AM

go ahead, drive from Belize City to Placencia.

The road is paved all the way from Belize City to the junction of Placencia.

The road into Placencia is a dirt one but should be OK.

I agree with mobunny on what she is saying about the rian.

Just come to Belize and have fun in the sun (-:
Posted By: cajunman

Re: Going to Belize for the 1st time - 06/30/04 01:25 PM

24 days and counting
Posted By: njmichael

Re: Going to Belize for the 1st time - 06/30/04 04:00 PM

I've only been to Belize twice (I'll be back in August!) but in my experience I would recommend taking a flight from Belize City to Placencia if you are staying anywhere close to the airport there. Belize has a very efficient, convenient and inexpensive internal flight network. I've flown from Belize City to Dangriga and from Belize City to Corozal Town (with a stop in San Pedro to get a few drinks at BCs).

I've not taken the drive from Belize City to Placencia but it seems like it would be a rather long one (although with some beautiful scenery). Perhaps someone else here has taken that drive and would be able to estimate how long it takes?

Anyway, most folks on this board would know a lot better than I but taking a flight from Belize City to Plancencia is one other option to consider. Either way you'll have a great trip. Enjoy!

EDIT: After I posted this I realized you said you would be in San Pedro before travelling to Placencia. You may be able to get a direct flight from San Pedro to Placencia, which would save a lot of time. I can't verify this but check with Tropic or Maya Air.
Posted By: gv

Re: Going to Belize for the 1st time - 07/06/04 09:45 PM

Thank you for your reply. It was all very helpful.
I went to couple of websites but did not find a direct flight from San Pedro to Placencia. I will have to stop in Belize city.

I am not sure if I will fly or drive; I'll just wait until I get there.

Thanks Again and can't wait to go to Belize :-)
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board