AmbergrisCaye.com Home

What to bring to AC

Posted By: Bami

What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 01:43 AM

We plan to visit Belize, Ambergris Caye, at the end of August for a week. Will be staying in a villa so plan to do some cooking. How available are fresh veggies? How about pastas? Coffees? Olive oil? I realize much is available and fresh but whats hard to get or over priced? Have read to bring sun screen and bug spray, anything else in that line? My husband and I are thinking we will take ferry from Belize City to AC. Daughter and son-in-law want to go to AC via air, so I'm uncertain which way to go. Is the ride by water worth it if weather's good? Thanks all such information appreciated.
Bami from SC
Posted By: alaurieb

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 02:22 PM

The things that we found to be over-priced are imported goods - snack food, etc. We ate mostly cereal, pastries, sandwiches and fruit while we were there so I can't really comment on pastas and olive oil.
I didn't personally take the ferry from Belize City to AC, but three of my friends took it and were not to enthused with the experience. Apparently the boat is very crowded and very windy. My husband and I took the flight and loved it. It is a quick flight with an amazing view of the island. Plus, we spent enough time on boats (snorkeling, tours, etc) while we were there.
Just my two cents. smile
Posted By: egcntrk

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 02:43 PM

There are fresh veggies in abundance at a very reasonable price. Breakfast & lunch meats were high. yikes! Anything imported was high. The local coffee is good & about the same price as in the States. I remember seeing pasta & oils but didn't price them. Prices vary from store to store.

I saved condiment packages prior to the trip & took those along...mustard, mayo, ketchup, butter, etc. along with small quantities of a few spices. If you have a favorite pasta take a package with you. Don't forget the sunburn remedy!

Far as flight vs. boat...neighbors loved the boat trip but we preferred to fly 'cause it gave us more time on the island. Alaurieb is correct...view of the island coming in is spectacular.

Have a great time!
Posted By: Fluffy

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 03:06 PM

Most food items will be higher than what you pay in the states. How do you think they get all those "Americanized" items to the island.

You're on vacation, so I would say, no worries. Eat, drink and enjoy Paradise! And try not to worry so much about the prices.
Posted By: MALIBU

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 03:21 PM

Go by air
Bring booze, flashlight, bathing suit and flipflops oh, and bring tums...

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 03:21 PM

One more, the most important... Lots of money or a high dollar credit card...
Posted By: CrackerLarry

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 03:44 PM

If you eat like I do, bring a 6 pack of Rolaids!
Various sizes of ziplock bags are very handy. Add an open mind and a sense of humor, you'll be set to go!

Malibu, why bring booze when rum cost $5 US a liter?
Posted By: Fluffy

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 03:51 PM

One more thing, when I say laid back, I really mean laid back. When you get down there you are on AC time. Most everything moves slow...which for us Americans can be annoying and frustrating at times. So, just remember to set your clock back to snails pace and you'll be good to go!!

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 04:08 PM

Real slow...as in time stands still! Throw away the watch & go with the flow.

Oh, yeah...how could I forget the Tums? :rolleyes: Hubby went thru one of the big bottles. Great food to be found.

Packing tip: lay out the clothes you want to take...put half of them up. Next day put half of those up. Continue until they can be packed in the carry-on & that should be about right! laugh

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 04:09 PM

Hubby prefers Scotch AND
you can hang out and drink without a large bar bill if you also bring your own pineapple juice with your own Malibu Rum.

So there.......

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 05:16 PM

Scotch was also reasonable. I bought a bottle for the local woodcarvers from Marinas market south of town. Great little grocery store. Seems like it was about $15 BZ. The brand was one I didn't recognize though.

I'm easy, just give me some One Barrel over a couple cubes. Then give me another one :-)

We never had a bar bill. Never made it up past 11pm either. After waking with daylight about 0430, spending all day swimming and boat riding, then eating lobster like a pig and drinking plenty of Belikins and rum, bedtime came early for us.

So there......
Posted By: USNA73

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 05:17 PM

Try one of those compression bags from someplace like REI. You pack in your clothes, squeeze out the air, and you have a lot more room in your bag.
For smaller stuff (like underwear) you can get the same effect from one of those large resealable food storage bags. cool
And don't forget the flashlights... laugh
Posted By: USNA73

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 05:19 PM

Try one of those compression bags from someplace like REI. You pack in your clothes, squeeze out the air, and you have a lot more room in your bag.
For smaller stuff (like underwear) you can get the same effect from one of those large resealable food storage bags. cool
And don't forget the flashlights... laugh

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 05:23 PM

Don't bother bringing a hair dryer or any makeup, it will just be dead weight.....

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/09/04 05:38 PM

Save some empty space for bringing stuff home. Rum, Belikins, woodcarvings, hot sauce, paintings, jewelry, whatever. We brought back a lot more stuff than we took with us. We left a few donations in the Xanadu room, gave our extra bug spay and sunscreen and leftover food supplies to our new friends the woodcarvers, and abandoned some funky tennis shoes and a broken mask. Should have brought one empty suitcase. I underestimated my wifes' shopping abilities.
Posted By: Badco

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/10/04 01:43 AM

Pack light & casual. After going for over 5 yrs. now you learn that dragging all those clothes that you never end up wearing just isn't necessary. Do bring several zip-lok bags & I'm all for the compression bags too, then I have room for another wonderful hand-made bowl from the guys in Esmeralda Park.
Posted By: okie

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/10/04 08:18 AM

Believe it when they say pack light. We are in AC, leaving tomorow. Didn't wear a pair of long pants (me or hubby) the entire time we were here. Shorts, light weight tops and flip flops are the standard. Zip lock bags came in handy. Some cord for a make shift clothesline might be nice. Have a great time, we sure have!
Posted By: Skyliner

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/10/04 06:37 PM

I totally agree with the above recommendations, but, a couple of things....

1) You're going on vacation - to Belize! Does it really matter it you pay twice as much for some grocery items during that week in paradise? Think of it as helping the local economy. US items are more expensive than local, Mexican or even Danish or New Zealand imports; try something new.

Sure, you think you're going to save some money by eating at your villa, but frankly, you're talking about what - a couple of meals? You'll be missing out on some great experiences if you don't go out for dinner. And those meals out will likely cost less than if you were buying them in the US.

2) There is thankfully no Krogers or Winn-Dixie on Ambergris Caye. If the reduced selection found in San Pedro grocery stores is going to ruin your vacation, Belize may not be your ideal get-away destination. Puerto Vallarta already has a Super Walmart and Sam's Club....

Forget the agenda of preparing that perfect stateside type meal and go with the flow. Make grocery shopping part of the cultural immersion of being in Belize - if the store doesn't have what you want, improvise! You'll love it. Sure the stores are funky, but that's part of the charm of San Pedro. Where else are you going to find all the major grocery stores owned and operated by Lebanese merchants?

3) Belize is a wonderful place, just don't let unrealistic expectations or constantly comparing it to other locations ruin the experience. On our first trip to Belize, we met a travel agent from Southern California that didn't enjoy the trip because all she could do was compare it negatively to other places. She complained about mosquitoes, the beach wasn't as nice as those in Hawaii, the restaurants weren't as good as those on St. Maarten - blah, blah, blah. She totally missed the beauties - the people, the marine life, the water, the birds, the casual lifestyle.

Enjoy your vacation - you're headed to a unique and wonderful island.
Posted By: windyw

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/10/04 07:25 PM

Well said Skyliner!!!!

Re: What to bring to AC - 07/11/04 01:15 AM

I loved the grocery stores & purposely bought local items. Much more fun. Loved every minute of looking for the "new" stuff and running from one to the other. Don't miss the bakery for some yummies. Clothes = a pair of shorts, 2 sundresses, 2 swimsuits, 5 t-thirts, 2 pair capris and 1 pair of flip-flops. That's all I wore in 7 days. Don't need much more...so get on island time & have fun. Meet the people...they like to talk with ya and are a lot of fun.

You are going to fall in love!
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board