AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Small Boat Sailing

Posted By: DrewLori

Small Boat Sailing - 08/08/04 08:15 PM

Does anyone know where we can rent a small Capri sailboat approx 14 feet long or a 12 foot Hobie or Laser? Our son loves to sail and we were wondering if there is a good spot to do this around A/C or Caye Caulker?
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: Small Boat Sailing - 08/09/04 12:13 AM

Where are you staying? Some resorts have them available. Check out the dive shop at Banyan Bay and also the holiday Hotel (in town location) dive shop
Posted By: silkpainter

Re: Small Boat Sailing - 08/09/04 12:53 AM

Say-L King on Caye Caulker, beachfront near Auxillou Beach Suites, Diane's Beach House and Tina's Backpackers has little sailboats for rent and also gives sailing lessons.
--Lee
Posted By: Phil

Re: Small Boat Sailing - 08/09/04 03:29 PM

In San Pedro, Sailsports Belize on the beach at the Holiday Hotel, smack in the middle of town. They have a 17" Hobie Getaway, two 14" Hobie Waves a Laser Pico and a Lightening day sailor. Instrustion available too. See http://www.sailsportsbelize.com/sailing.htm for details.

Re: Small Boat Sailing - 08/09/04 05:00 PM

Thanks so much everyone for the info!

Question for SilkPainter? In your opinion, is it more dangerous to sail off of Caye Caulker than inside of the reef at A/C or do I not have my geography right?
Posted By: silkpainter

Re: Small Boat Sailing - 08/09/04 06:11 PM

Caye Caulker and Ambrgris are both inside the reef and I don't think that there's an appreciable difference except it is shallower in front of Caye Caulker. You never see big sailboats in front of CC, they stay on the leeward side. The land mass is larger on AC, with a spread out populated area about 10 miles long. Caye Calker is smaller and the populated area is 1-1/2 miles long.

Re: Small Boat Sailing - 08/09/04 07:41 PM

That helps. I guess because we stay at CM's and the reef is right there, I couldnt imagine sticking another island ;-) between A/C and the reef but my husband just corrected me also and said he thought that the reef moved away from A/C as one travels south?
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board