AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 04:29 AM
Was checking out Wine de Vine and read a comment about hassling w/ customs over bringing in wine. I was thinking about packing a couple of bottles of Napa reds (especially after reading the postings re: Rendevous)but now wonder if that's possible. Anyone know about this? We're willing to share! 21 days . . .
Posted By: DrewLori Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 05:27 AM
Great question. I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Has anyone had any problems or experiences? 1 day & counting :-)
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 12:41 PM
Don't bother we can get some very nice wines here, At wine de vine or even the grocery stores. Several nice Chilean wines or South African wines right at the Supermarket.
Posted By: CrackerLarry Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 12:54 PM
I brought a bottle of bourbon with me. No problem, no one even looked in my bag.
Posted By: njmichael Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 12:58 PM
I brought two bottles of Absolut in my carry on bag, it got scanned but the security people didn't seem to care.

ps- They weren't there for the return trip. smile
Posted By: streetchie Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 02:35 PM
I've brought wine down before with no hassle, but the selection at local stores or even the grocery stores was quite sufficient.
Posted By: DrewLori Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 03:07 PM
BUt is it expensive to purchase the decent wines on A/C?
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 05:41 PM
For a decent bottle your looking at $18 u.S a bottle

regards

Gaz
Posted By: HavinFun Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 05:45 PM
Cheap wine is expensive on A/C, too!!!!!
1.5 liter jug of Carlos Rosini was $34 US!!!

Glasses of wine at bars were $4 US.

You should have no trouble with wine at customs.
The Belize Customs web site tells you that you can bring 1.5 liter of alcohol. HOWEVER it does not specific what kind. My husband's case of Bud was taken when we came in July. BUT they let us pick it up on our way home. It seems beer interfers with their commerce.
The wine that I brought was no problem. But they didn't at any other bags after the Bud. laugh
Posted By: RobertE Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 05:47 PM
Skip the wine and support the Belizean economy. Drink whats is probably the best and most unknown rum as well as the local beer Belikin.
Posted By: RobertE Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 05:48 PM
Skip the wine and support the Belizean economy. Drink whats is probably the best and most unknown rum as well as the local beer Belikin.
Posted By: HavinFun Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 05:48 PM
Meant to say "But they didn't LOOK at any other bags after the Bud.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 09:05 PM
I brought in wine, rum, scotch, and bourbon. No problem.

Sorry locals: don't listen to them on the rum: bring your own - local rum isn't nearly as good. My experience was ONLY with the coconut rum.......
Posted By: windyw Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/13/04 11:36 PM
Have to respond.
1. My husband always brings some beer in and has never had a problem. When it is gone, he buys Belikin. Support the local economy.

2. Caribbean White rum is some of the best I have ever had. Buy it at Rocks for $12.95 Belize.
It is really good. No need to bring your own rum.
I am a rum drinker and love it. Craibbean White is good. Always bring it home. (Along with Marie Sharp Hot Sauce) And just for the record, excellent rum punch at The Reef Restaurant!!
Will be coming back in Jan and can hardly wait!!!!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 12:35 AM
You can bring in two bottles of wine per person (over age 18), though as a practical matter any reasonable amount of wine or booze for personal consumption is usually okay. Beer is a different matter, because imports of beer are prohibited under law to protect the local Bowen monopoly and to get local taxes. That's why the excellent Mexican and Guatemalan beers are not widely available in Belize.

But as others have noted, Wine Devine (which moved last year to a new location) has a decent selection at prices that are maybe 25% or 30% more than you'd pay in the U.S. And there's a pretty good wine store in Belize City. I'd only bother to bring in wine if there are vintages you especially like.

Belize has truly excellent and inexpensive (US$5 to $7 a bottle) local rums. My preference is Duurley's, a gold rum from Traveller's, but a lot of people like One Barrel. Caribbean white is pretty good, too, if you like white rums. Many imported liquors are available in local grocery stores, at prices maybe 50% higher than typical U.S. prices. Belize has local vodkas and other booze, but it's pretty awful, though cheap.

When you go back to the U.S., you can effectively take as many bottles of rum as you like, as U.S. customs rarely bother with charging duty on the excess for personal consumption. Last week I took back six bottles of Duurley's that I bought at one of the duty free shops at the airport, for Us$4 a bottle.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: DrewLori Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 05:03 AM
Should one bring it in their carry on or actually pack it. I feel the bottles are less likely to get broken if they are with me in the carry On. Does customs care either way?

We leave in 6 hours for the airport. ;-)
Posted By: FishingSanPedro Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 04:20 PM
Premimum Wines and Spirits just opened up in the Aqua Marina Suites Shops on Front Street next to Isla Bonita Designs.

I just attended the grand opening last Wednesday and they have a great selection of wines there also. Plus all the top shelf liquor you would expect to find in any US liquor store.

Steve
Posted By: Teenah Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 05:19 PM
Malibu!!!

You've missed the boat on the rum. One Barrel is absolutely the best rum I've ever had! Please do yourself a favor and try it next time.

Teenah
Posted By: Johnboy Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 05:58 PM
Another Belize rum that is great is Old Masters.
Like the old saying "Try it you'll like it"...
Of course that's IMHO, as usual laugh wink
Posted By: seashell Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 07:36 PM
My friend likes Appleton's.
Posted By: cajunman Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/14/04 08:05 PM
we went to Wine Devine and got some pretty good bottles, LaPostolle, Casillero del Diablo, and a few others for 15$ US or so, she also has an amazing selection of specialty foods...my wife and I found a secluded spot on the beach and picnicked for our anniversary, had some great stuff, caviar, hummus, goat cheese, fresh baguettes, truffle pate, and it wasnt too expensive.....wine tastings all day, every day also....found a bottle of Concha Y Toro champagne which we cant get in the states and was pretty good...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/16/04 05:28 AM
Great info - thanks for all the suggestions. I've always enjoyed the Caribbean rums I'v tried and now obviously I'll have to sample all the suggested selections at least twice to see what I like, as they are generally my choice for what to take home, 'cause they're so much cheaper than what's available in the states.

That said, I'm partial to California reds and while I have had a couple of decent reds from Chile, I've never been impressed with anything I've had from Argentina! I think I'll pack a couple of bottles for the room and sample the local rum and assorted drinks you've all described while we're out running around!
19 days . . . can't wait!!!!!! cool
Posted By: jvid Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/16/04 06:27 AM
If all you are interested in, is where your going to get your favorite wines or liquors', then your coming here for the wrong reason, enjoy the fishing, diving, and underworld-life, not the high-tech living. Go to Cancun, or some other tourist attraction. Just take a nice cruise-ship and get the best that you can. Please, if you come to San Pedro, Respect it, and its people.Its not for everybody.Please try to remember that.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/16/04 06:39 PM
jvid: Lighten up and have a belikin. This topic happens to be about booze.

Teenah: Sorry, just talking about the coconut rum. Does One Barrel make coconut rum?
Posted By: bywarren Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/16/04 07:10 PM
http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/bz/travellers/index.htm

This shows most of the rums Travellers offers. Travellers Ltd. is the company. One barrel is just one of their brands.
Posted By: papashine Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/16/04 07:20 PM
The Superior Extra is guaranteed to knock your socks{or other items} off!!!

C.C. Do not try this one in your morning coffee!
Posted By: Teenah Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 12:47 AM
Malibu,

I'm a little overly enthusiastic on the One Barrel! I had a Belizean friend of mine put a shot of One Barrel and two other Caribbean rums
on a table. She told me to taste them all and tell her which was my favorite. You guessed it.
One Barrel. My 70 year old Auntie is visiting me
for a few days. I made her a One Barrel and coke
last night and she asked me to make her another tonight!

Bywarren, do you drink Rum? Which is your favorite?

Teenah
Posted By: Anonymous Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 01:23 AM
Wow - this board really is a microcosm.

bywarren - thanks for the interesting link. Do you know if the Travellers Ltd. distillery offers tours?
Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. Jvid - thanks for the warm welcome - can't wait to meet you wink
Posted By: bywarren Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 01:54 AM
Vodka used to be my hard drink of choice. I pretty much stick with wine now. I do have a coconut rum and juice when out on the town.
Posted By: CrackerLarry Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 02:00 AM
The One Barrel is pretty good. Kind of sweet and thick. Taste almost identical (to me) of a Bahamian liquor called Nassau Royale. Great over ice, no mixing necessary, ice isn't that necessary either come to think of it.
Posted By: Teenah Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 04:42 AM
The One Barrel has a vanilla essence. In the search for my One Barrel fix, I foolishly bought a bottle of Cabana Boy Vanilla Rum. In a word, SWEET! One Barrel is not a sweetened rum like Cabana Boy. It's great with coke or juice.
Posted By: SlimJim Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 04:51 AM
Could anyone tell me where I can purchase a gallon of Orange Juice (for the Rum)? I've heard there is good juice on the Caye. I'll be staying at the Tradewinds Paradise Villas near the center of town. Also, where can I purchase the white rum? Is that "Rocks" place anywhere within walking distance?

Teenah, I think that U and I would get along.
I Like RonRico, Meyers Dark and Mt Gay.
Posted By: cajunman Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 05:13 AM
you can get the rum at any of the grocery stores for very cheap...I'm not sure about the juice..we drank some at Papi's and it was amazing..he was supposed to order some for us and we were just going to pick it up from him, but they didnt deliver any for 2 or 3 days...I guess something that fresh you cant just get it whenever you want it......
Posted By: seashell Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 08:10 AM
SlimJim, go out your gate onto the road, and turn right. There's two groceries stores on the square.
Posted By: bywarren Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 01:21 PM
When you can't find the fresh squeezed juice, give a try to the concentrate that comes in gallon jugs and is frozen. Mix with water. Really not a bad substitute. The two grocery stores mentioned usually have it.
Posted By: Bobber Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 01:46 PM
Teenah, check your local big supermarket, in the hispanic section you may find Mexican coke in one liter bottles. My sources tell me the difference is that they use real sugar, and it really makes a rum and coke taste like it should. You may also find adding a slice of lime to a coke with real sugar in it just about doubles the thirst quenching factor. Personally, I believe limes are the greatest thing since unsliced bread.
Posted By: Teenah Re: BYOB to AC?? - 08/17/04 03:35 PM
Thanks Bobber, I'll try that out.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board