AmbergrisCaye.com Home

SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February

Posted By: Madmatt

SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/05/04 06:39 PM

Does anyone know anything about this event in February? I am coming down to make a few jumps and was curious where the landing area is? I am counting down the days. Is there any skydivers on this forum? View the link for details. -MADMATT

http://www.skydivebelize.com/
Posted By: coconutlady

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/05/04 07:54 PM

Just when I thought I'd seen it all.

Ad quote:
(We will be in freefall over water and the landing area is a 400 X 300 ft. area on the beach.)

Just where in the devil would THAT be? I bet the croc's are workin' up an appetite.
Posted By: KWIBMF

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/05/04 08:28 PM

This is the first I've ever heard of skydiving around S.P. I'm very curious about where the landing area will be located. You could be in for a long ride back the airstrip after each jump.

Coconutlady, you'll notice the minimum requirement is a D license, jumpers that have reached that level of expertise will have little trouble hitting the target. The crocs may be disappointed.

Madmatt, you wouldn't happen to do video would you? I'd love to see some video of jumps over the reef. Have a great time.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/05/04 08:56 PM

As a matter of fact I do. I would be glad to shoot some video of the reef or anything from the air for that matter. So no one has any idea where the landing area might be? I was thinking they were talking about the beach right past the boat cut.
Posted By: CrackerLarry

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/05/04 09:12 PM

The website says boat transportation 3/4 mile from landing area, so I guess that means 3/4 mile from the hotel? Anywhere along the beach would work.

Sounds like fun to me! Price looks reasonable. Wonder how strong the winds blow in Feb?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/05/04 10:43 PM

Great!! Any other expats skydivers? It's going to be very susceptible to the wind, though. If there's a gentle and (most important) constant wind there should be no problem landing in 400'x300', unless someone has an opening problem. A sea landing will wreck the gear.
Posted By: Rodrick

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 12:55 AM

Sky diving seems like it would be a lot of fun!! Can you tell me the site so I can look up some information? Before I look it up...do I have to have any experience? Because I have never sky dived before, but sure it's a blast!
Posted By: klcman

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 03:55 AM

The site is right on the original post. It's not a Belize business, merely a US operator offering a package to BZ. One time deal most likely.

You can get the same view out of the window of your plane wink
Posted By: seashell

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 07:04 AM

Uh, geez, I sure hope not, klc.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 07:05 AM

Rodrick, taking your first skydives off of Ambergris Caye, isn't the best idea anyone has had lately.

It would be a bit like taking your first scuba dive on the Andrea Doria.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 12:01 PM

I jumped in Playa Del Carmen Mexico and landed on a beach smaller than that. The winds are a definite factor. The key to hitting your target is staying upwind until you fly your landing pattern. The landing pattern is just like the ones planes use when landing. Downwind, base, final approach. It should be a really fun week. If you did make a water landing your gear would survive except for the Cyprus. A Cyprus is an automatic activating devise that opens the reserve parachute if you can not. I wear a helmet camera when I jump so that would be damaged if wet
Posted By: Rodrick

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 03:24 PM

Hey seashell!

Well I thought it would be a fun idea lol. I'm nuts sometimes! Thinknig about it, it does sound suicidal for me;)

From what I have been reading, Ambergris Caye is not a big island...so I'd probably miss and end up landing in the Blue Hole or something.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 04:13 PM

It'll be based at Sun Breeze. You go first.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 07:50 PM

In a heartbeat!

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/06/04 07:57 PM

OK, for those of you who are not experienced skydivers, they will be offering Tandem skydives for 199 bucks. I just spoke with Rich Grimm and he said his two Tandem masters have over 13000 skydives under their belts. Their instructors are very experienced with new state of the art skydiving gear. -MADMATT
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/08/04 04:43 PM

i hope the landings don't damage the coral heads

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/08/04 10:40 PM

Possible, if someone experiences a double malfunction, otherwise they'll be landing on coral thats been dead for some time.
Posted By: Compass

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/11/04 10:39 PM

As an old skydiver I started asking, Hmmmm? I wonder what they will call this new drop zone? BZ DZ? Or AC DZ (almost sounds like a rock band).

This sounds like a real hoot. What a beautiful place to fall out of an airplane. I use to attend an annual skydiving boogie on San Juan Island in Washington state. The views were wonderful. This should be grand as well.

Did they say what kind of jump plane(s)?

Someone said, “A water landing will wreak the gear?” Since when? All you have to do is rinse everything out in fresh water and it’s fine. I know from personal experience. I wouldn’t recommend do this on a regular basis but landing in the water a time or tow won’t doing much harm.

As far as landing in the coral … yikes someone would have to really screw up royally to do that. Of course there’s always ONE person. My initial thought is that this wouldn’t be a real easy DZ due to a limited target area (I’m guessing) but with lots of “bailout areas.” With as much shallow water with sandy bottoms as there is between the shore and the reef this would be an easy “worse case” landing spot. Just wear a lightweight (deflated) PFD under your harness and disconnect one of the parachute shoulder harnesses upon water entry to allow the chute to string out rather than grabbing any current.

I'll be there in February. Maybe I'll check it out.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/11/04 11:23 PM

Cessna Caravan.

I'm with you, my stuff has been wet before and if you miss you can probably stand up. If you can't stand up then you swim. Big deal.
Posted By: Compass

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/12/04 01:29 AM

I just reread my posting above. Yikes! There were so many errors and typos that it sounded like I’ve had too many hard landings on my head.

I’ve never jumped out of a Cessna Caravan but it should be a good jump plane. I would think it would climb to altitude fairly quickly. How many jumpers will that hold? Do you know what kind of door opening, foot rail, and hand holds it has?

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/12/04 08:18 AM

For all you skydivers: Aren't wind conditions a serious factor in this sport?

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/12/04 03:16 PM

For all you skydivers: Aren't wind conditions a serious factor in this sport?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seashell, they are a factor, but not a serious factor. Most of the ram air wings have a forward speed of near 30 mph. As long as the wind is less than your flying speed, it is no significant factor. If the wind is say 20 mph, you can fly near 50 (speed over ground) heading downwind. Turn upwind and you will slow to 10mph. There is a lot of control. From 10K feet you could jump over AC and land on the mainland.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/12/04 09:45 PM

The caravan will hold about 12-13 jumpers. You may actually fly in one on your trip over. I believe Tropic has a few. I don't know if this is standard, but the caravan I used to jump from had a large side door, with inside and outside hand rails.
Posted By: reaper

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/13/04 07:29 PM

Greetings to all in San Pedro interested in making a skydive. i'm bringing 80 people to the island Feb.10th,2005. we will have tandem rigs for all who want to make a first jump. video and stills will be available. only experienced jumpers will be leaping from our caravan that holds 17 skydivers. we will be landing on the open area just north of Barefoot Skinny's bar. if you have questions or comments please send me an e-mail. meet us at the Sunbreeze for a jump!
Posted By: MALIBU

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/13/04 08:40 PM

KWIBMF: If I were to go up to skydive, I would arrive on the ground with the plane hanging on for dear life to the 'outside handrails' you spoke about.

Chicken........ eek

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/13/04 09:03 PM

I just want to clear up a few things regarding skydiving. the winds won't have much of an effect unless it's over 20mph. we won't be landing anywhere near the reef. we also will have a safety boat in the water just in case of a water landing. you don't want to get your gear wet because of the cypres, an automatic reserve parachute deployment device. a Tandem skydive will be $199USD and video and stills will be $99. our tandem and video jumpers are all USPA members and have thousands of jumps. Our gear is very well maintained to FAA standards and is state of the art. Our jump plane is maintained to FAA standards as well.I hope to see you in freefall! for more info go to www.skydivebelize.com. Thanks, Rich Grimm

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/14/04 03:39 AM

Then you will have two boats out in the water, yes? One on the ocean side and one on the lagoon side?
Posted By: papashine

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/14/04 07:24 PM

Hey Rich, hows it going? See ya in Feb. Not to jump though, I still won't jump out of an aircraft unless the bloody thing is on fire! laugh

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/14/04 11:38 PM

if you wrench on it it just may catch on fire papashine!!!!see ya soon,maybe first of Nov.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/17/04 01:06 AM

I cant wait to meet all of you guys in February. We are going to have a blast. Hey Rich, do you have some designated place for us to pack? A tent or something? -MADMATT

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/20/04 02:28 AM

Hey Compass, by the way I love the name AC DZ! we might have to make up some T_shirts.

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 10/29/04 12:56 AM

Just wanted to give this post a BUMP. Any new info on the February Skydiving Boogie? The wife and I are counting down the days. cool

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 02/01/05 11:47 PM

Just a reminder to my friends in SP and anyone visitng the island Feb10-19. Meet us at the Sunbreeze Hotel and make a tandem skydive from 13,000 ft. over Ambergris Caye. A video and stills of your skydive will also be available. see you there! Check out www.skydivebelize.com. smile
Posted By: hawkgirl

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 02/02/05 01:09 AM

Don't trip over the volleyball net.
Posted By: Alfredo

Re: SKYDIVING coming to Belize in February - 02/02/05 02:31 AM

Sounds like fun. Those weight matters? Lol
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board