AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: simcic places to eat on ambergris - 10/25/04 08:27 PM
We are staying at Victoria House since this is our first trip, we need suggestion for both lunch and dinner plus a couple ideas on fun bars
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/25/04 09:29 PM
Elvi's Kitchen is in town on Middle Street. Both for lunch and dinner, its a pleasure and a San Pedro landmark. Up the beach from Victoria House is another great place at the Caribe Island Resort...its a intimate little place on the dock with great food. My personal favorite is Caliente's at the Spindrift Hotel. My home away from home!!!!
Posted By: HavinFun Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/25/04 09:30 PM
Lunch -
A couple of doors down from you is Banana Beach.
Their restaurant is El Divino and they have hamburgers there that are the size of a dinner plate and they are awesome!
Hammock House, on the other side of the cut by the ferry - fun bar - awesome wraps. Wonderful people.
Mango's - small but good. Fun when Barefoot Skinny play there.

Dinner-
Casa Picaso , in town - The Lasagne should win a prize. They have great drinks and an intimate atmosphere. Wonderful people.
Blue Water Grill, in town - awesome food & drinks. Wonderful people.
Elvi's, in town - awesome. Try something Mayan.

Drinks -
Caribe Island's Bar, south of you about 3/4 mile - Bailey's Colata is sinful!!!!!!
Posted By: mobunny Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/25/04 09:41 PM
3 of my personnal favorites are:

Tastes of Thailand - incredible thai food #56 is my favorite wink
//ambergriscaye.com/tastesofthailand/index.html

Casa Picasso - wonderful wonderful food and martini's //ambergriscaye.com/casapicasso/index.html

Ali Baba's - delicous fresh mediterranean - the best falafel I have ever had

mobunny
Posted By: Anonymous Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/25/04 09:51 PM
JamBal Jerk pit is a must for authentic island flavor. Papi's - great local place far north end of town - yummy lobster - great prices.

I completely concur with all the praise for Casa Picasso - superb food, great locale and way good drinks! That said - DO NOT forget to leave lots of room for dessert and try everything at least once!!!!!
Posted By: klcman Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 12:13 AM
and,just up the road from you, is a GREAT cheap locals place - Antojitos San Telmo - ya gotta try it!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 02:02 AM
shhhh... Antojitos should remain a local secret.
Posted By: klcman Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 05:48 AM
dang Jessie - why can't i rememeber that?
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 06:23 AM
We keep pluggin Antojitos...no one will go there because it will be too busy!!!
Posted By: klcman Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 04:06 PM
mebbe they need a website something like eatingsanpedro.com

wink CJ
Posted By: Bobber Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 04:23 PM
You have to work harder on AC to find a bad meal than you do most places to find a good meal. Let great food be the least of your worries on the island.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 05:14 PM
well put, b wink
Posted By: Scott B Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 06:40 PM
The best dinner on the island will be found at Capricorn, north of the cut. A water taxi will be needed, and the ride back after dinner under the stars is epic.

Not to be missed: El Divino at the Banana Beach resort, Blue Water Grill, and BC's BBQ on Sunday.

Rico's at Banyan Bay was also very good for breakfast/lunch/dinner. We also thought the restaurant right where you are staying at Victoria House was excellent.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/26/04 10:21 PM
Carambas, El Patio, Lily's - too many great ones to mention. VH itself is great too!
Posted By: reaper Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/27/04 04:59 AM
Try "Estel's by the sea" for breakfast on the beach downtown.Great for food and people watching!
Posted By: seashell Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/28/04 11:46 AM
I've just got to add a confirming vote for Jambel's. Of course, the new place at Coral just doesn't have the original ambiance of Jambel's over by Daddy's . . . regardless, the new place is still highly recommended.

I love Papis and Ambergris Delight too.
Posted By: Inplub Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/28/04 05:44 PM
Dear Mobunny,

It is no longer 56 the menu has changed a little and is now the 55.

Tippy say sorry.
Posted By: njmichael Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/28/04 06:07 PM
Originally posted by reaper:
Try "Estel's by the sea" for breakfast on the beach downtown.Great for food and people watching!
Couldn't agree more regarding Estel's. We had breakfast there every day all week. Huge menu, great food, extremely friendly staff and an unbeatable view.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/28/04 11:47 PM
As usual "Seashell" tells the board all about a place that she has never eaten in-reason it was not built when she last visited - is this is what one would call a "Troll".
Posted By: klcman Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/29/04 12:39 AM
Troll's usually are looking to start war wink

I didn't detetct that at all in her reply, regardless of her visitation/nonvisitation status

(was wondering how long it would take for the above to show up)
Posted By: seashell Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/29/04 02:10 AM
Oh for crying out loud Peter. Unfortunately,your devotion to me and my importance to your existance is just not that flattering to me, though some other sites refer to behavior like yours, as cyber-stalking and/or hero worship.

In any event, fellow boarders please allow me to rephrase for the sake of harmony.

#I've just got to add a confirming vote for Jambel's where I have eaten *many*, *many*, *many* times at the old location (In fact, had my very first meal in San Pedro there and always my last dinner before a departure). Of course, according to what my friends that have eaten there and/or work there, tell me and the many pictures that I have seen, the new place at Coral, to me, just doesn't have the original ambiance of Jambel's over by Daddy's . . . regardless, the new place is still highly recommended by those that have eaten there. Myself, since the ownership is the same and some of the staff is the same, I have no reason to believe differently.

I love Papis and Ambergris Delight too.#
Posted By: Johnboy Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/29/04 02:35 AM
O>K>---- One more time I MUST recommend "The Squirrel's Nest" as a beach bar --"NOT TO BE MISSED" !!!! wink laugh :p
Posted By: NC_Diver Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/29/04 11:36 AM
Just got back. We really enjoyed Elvi's, Blue Water Grill, and Jambel's. Heard Cafe Picasso is good also, however, couldn't make it down. Although Fido's had a cool atmosphere, the food was not very good in my opion. I actually left lobster on the plate it was so bad...
Posted By: atomicindy Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/29/04 06:47 PM
The Reef on Middle street is great. Went there on Thursday. Started with a free conch ceviche and free rum punch. Had the tropical style snapper that was very good. Some local fishermen own the place so you know the food is fresh. The sand floor is a nice touch.
Posted By: AdamSmith Re: places to eat on ambergris - 10/30/04 12:30 AM
I also liked the Reef; conch and lobster were good. The owner of Jambel's actually steered me to the older one on the beach upstairs, and the waiter was great (forgot his name). Was not impressed at Elvis; small portion, big price. El Divino was good. Marina's market, down south near Banana Beach, has the best price on the well-regarded local spiced rum One Barrel (the liter is cheaper there than at the bigger places). And they also have nice changing local produce.
If going over to Caye Caulker (recommended for a day trip), Rasta Pasta is a must (closed the AC location). Recommend lobster burrito, which is really big.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board