AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: wildidaho First Visit - 12/05/04 01:35 AM
My wife and I arrive at AC on December 18 and we stay till Dec. 29th. I have been taking notes and enjoying the exchange at this site for over a month. We are staying at the Blue Tang Inn and plan an overnight to Tikal along with lot's of snorkeling. Is snorkeling conjested at Shark Ray Alley and the other popular sites? I would rather get away from crowds and it sounds like we are heading to the right spot. What's it like in Flores and at Tikal? Spots not to miss at the north end ? I look forward to your suggestions and to some liad back time.
Posted By: DJH Re: First Visit - 12/05/04 11:11 AM
Just make sure you don't go snorkeling when the cruise ships are in Belize City. It gets very conjested then. They bring boats full of people out to snorkel.
Posted By: crockhunter Re: First Visit - 12/05/04 06:17 PM
There are other spots to snorkel, such as Tres Cocos or Mexico Rocks. Your guide will probably know when the busy times are for Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. We went to them last year when there were just one or two other boats in the area. Enjoy your trip!
Posted By: J DOG Re: First Visit - 12/05/04 07:06 PM
Hol Chan can get a little crowded, shark ray alley is just a sandy area where you hop in the water for about 10 min. or so & play with the rays & nurse sharks, they usually stop there on the way back from Hol Chan.
A good spot with less crowds is Mexico Rocks.
Stayed at Blue Tang last Jan. going back Jan.29-Feb13, You picked a great place.
There is a paper back(San Pedro Cool) by Lan Sluder, you can get it on Amazon $14.95, It is very informitive & will tell you every thing you would want to know about S.P.& all the tours
J DOG
Posted By: wildidaho Re: First Visit - 12/08/04 01:14 AM
What do folks think about the overnight in Flores and the visit to Tikal? I'm thinking about saving some money and visiting a Mayan site closer by. I read about the boat trip up river to a Mayan site. Any suggestions?
Posted By: klcman Re: First Visit - 12/08/04 01:51 AM
Lamanai with Daniel Nunez (Tanisha Tours) - best in my book
Posted By: SuzyQ Re: First Visit - 12/08/04 03:48 AM
One of the first books we purchased about AC was San Pedro Cool! Definately worth the buck! Jammed full of really great info on what to expect and where to go! Get it before you go!
Posted By: fuzzy_navel Re: First Visit - 12/08/04 07:00 PM
I just posted my trip report on Tikal maybe it will help you determine if you'd like to take the trip there. If you're really into Mayan ruins, I would spend the money to do it (JMHO). I can't really convey how amazing it is! If you just want to see some ruins, then I would hit Lamanai.
Posted By: TXTraveler Re: First Visit - 12/09/04 02:32 AM
My group and I did the lamanai tour on our stay this past July. Mayan ruins, mangroves, howler monkeys, etc. It was a great trip! I definitely recommend checking it out.
Posted By: rugger Re: First Visit - 12/09/04 03:45 AM
Has anyone gone on the cave tubing trips? How tough is the hike? Who's the best tour operator for the trip? Looks like a cool trip.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: First Visit - 12/09/04 04:42 AM
we did the cave tubing trip and the walk hardly deserves to be called a "hike." easy going. You do have to carry your innertube - still easy going.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: First Visit - 12/09/04 03:10 PM
I did the cave tubing at Jaguar Paw, which was a wonderful day.
They have just recently announced that they are doing the "canopy tours" there now too, so you might want to spend the entire day there.
Cheerz,
Vicki
Posted By: gbmadison Re: First Visit - 12/11/04 12:33 AM
We just returned from our first trip to Belize and Guatemala. We spent four nights in the Tikal-Flores area. I think a visit to Flores is well worth a half day visit if you have the time. However, an overnight inside the park is a must. We stayed at Tikal Inn. Loved it. $10.00 will get you a guide,arranged by the lodge, to take you into the park prior to the 6am opening for dawn at Temple IV. Doesn`t matter if you see the sun or mist, it is absolutely magical.
Posted By: wildidaho Re: First Visit - 12/11/04 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and for sharing your experiences. We leave next Saturday and can hardly wait. Has anyone gone on the trip to Altun Ha? I hear the spa is a very interesting place as well as the ruins. My wife's birthday is on Christmas Eve so that will be a special night on the town. Anyone know of something special to recommend?
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: First Visit - 12/11/04 05:45 PM
If you do the Lamanai trip ask your driver to stop at Maruba Resort on the way back home.
Beautiful place for a drink or two! eek
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board