AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: stephda Cave tubing and touristy questions - 01/31/05 10:46 PM
We will be in Ambergris Caye at the end of April for 10 days. Has anyone heard of cave tubing? Prices are so high to do this $130? Why so high, anyone know? Also, can you get to any of the mayan ruins or anywhere without it being a "tour"? We are used to do all of our "exploring" ourselves. We will be staying at the north side of the cut, which now I learn is probably not too good because there is no grocery stores up that way...just in San Pedro. Anyone have any info. about going cave tubing, seeing mayan ruins, going to shark ray alley? Any help would be GREAT!
Posted By: Phyllis&Ray Re: Cave tubing and touristy questions - 01/31/05 11:26 PM
Cave Tubing and any ruins "tours" require transportation to the mainland, thus the cost.
You could kayak out to the reef to snorkel, but I wouldn't, the only other way is with a for hire guide or one of the "tour" companies because there are no boat rentals. We did several snorkel outings with Tulu, his boat is Janel docked at the Courtasea dock just north of SP. Excellent guide, great guy. Also, used Amigo Del Mar, also good.
We plan to cave tube this year, I have heard that the "tour" thru Jaguar's Paw is excellent and it includes a visit to the Belize Zoo. Might want to check the cruise ship schedules before setting your day, the less people, the better the trip.
Good luck, and enjoy, it is a wonderful place.
Posted By: klcman Re: Cave tubing and touristy questions - 02/01/05 01:01 AM
stay on the mainland for a few days, rent a car and explore......and can drive to all the Mayan sites, cave tubing, Jaguar Paw, Caves Branch, etc.......get a feel for what Belize has to offer besides sun, sand and water!
Posted By: stephda Re: Cave tubing and touristy questions - 02/01/05 02:11 PM
OK, I got it now. We have to go back to Belize? Are there no ruins on the island to visit?
Posted By: Barbara K Re: Cave tubing and touristy questions - 02/02/05 06:12 AM
not really. One small unexcavated one on the S end of the island. Ruins = mainland. Caves = mainland. Great day tours or go stay there for a few days and do many.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board