AmbergrisCaye.com Home

BUG Spray/Sunscreen

Posted By: Bronx Girl

BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/26/05 08:40 PM

Going to SP in a few days I hear alot of talk about deet as a bug repellant. Is there a product that contains BOTH sunscreen and bug repellant such as deet
Posted By: Latte Queen

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/26/05 09:36 PM

Hmmm... such a product I have never seen. The 2-in-ones I've used never do a good enough job so I hesitate to recommend them, but everyone is different, so if you find one that's effective, please let us know!!!

When I was in Belize last year I made the mistake of laying in a hammock at dusk and, without even feeling it, got eaten alive by those sneaky little buggers. The bites were hideous!!! After that I was smart enough to protect myself with Burt's Bees herbal repellant- it works like a charm, and also, because it's oily, if you apply it liberally the sand flies literally drown in it.

Enjoy your time in SP!!!
Posted By: Gela

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/26/05 09:41 PM

I am returning to Belize in early May. I have always brought repelant with deet. This year, I'll be visiting Placencia first, and Calico Jack's advises that I bring Avon Skin-so-soft as the mosies are resistant to deet. When I went to buy some Avon, I found they had a bug spray with sunscreen so I bought it and also some "wipes" without. I will also bring the deet with me.

In any case, I always get bitten no matter what I do. Guess I have a sweet taste laugh .
Posted By: drummer dan

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 10:31 AM

Off is making a new product called "Backwoods Off". Sold only in West Virginia and keeps your cousins off ya!
Posted By: SimonB

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 06:34 PM

Haven't seen a mosquito in weeks so I wouldn't worry so much (no rain). Sandflies are out however, bring Baby Oil to keep them at bay.

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 06:40 PM

would not one burn to death with just baby oil???
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 07:18 PM

Yes, you will fry with just baby oil, but the sand flies hate oil. You can find many, many oil-based products with varying levels of SPF protection. However, I've never seen sunscreen with deet...and you will need a heavy dose of deet to work. I buy 100% deet from Cabelas (wash your hands after applying)- the stuff just plain works. You will have to address your SPF needs separately, unless the Avon product referenced above can do the trick (butI doubt Avon is going to add enough deet to make any difference). Hope this helps.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 07:34 PM

Apply sunscreen first, then baby oil once the sunscreen has soaked in.
Posted By: TXTraveler

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 07:42 PM

Last July when I was there all we used was the Avon "Skin so Soft" which includes bug repellant and sunscreen. Worked great! We stayed on the southside near the lagoon where there are lots of mosquitos & only got a few bites.
Posted By: stugatz

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 07:53 PM

where can i buy avon skin so soft?
Posted By: TXTraveler

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 08:22 PM

We got it from a friend who sells Avon products. Pretty sure you have to go through your local "avon lady". Never seen the stuff in stores.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 08:40 PM

We have a few tubes left of the anti-bug version of Skin-So-Soft in the Protech shop near the center of town.

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 09:01 PM

THanks forthe info
By the way, I spoke to the People at REI- Co-op in California and they agree, although there is a product that combines both deet and sunscreen, they say it is not very effective- it only has 16% Deet. I guess I need the 95%?
Posted By: GailM

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 11:35 PM

In the jungle, I use deep woods off with sunscreen and on the cayes I use bug and sun and that takes care of both sun and insects for me. I am Belizean so I don't need heavy duty sunscreen but do need to guard against sandflies as they make me itch terribly.
Oh, and I would recommend against 95% deet - nasty stuff plus I doubt you will need it. The only time I have had to use that was doing a mangrove study with billions of mosquitoes.
Posted By: cindyb

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 11:37 PM

Anyone interested in AVON Skin-So-Soft...

You can almost always find it on ebay, just do a search and you can also buy direct from AVON online.

If I ever find a spot in San Pedro for the bookstore and get it open, I'll carry an assortment of AVON products, including the Skin-So-Soft! It works!
Posted By: JeanH

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/27/05 11:53 PM

I don't think the higher percentage DEET products work any 'better', they just last longer. Personally, I'd rather stick with the lower concentration and reapply if it seems to be needed.
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/28/05 12:49 AM

On the beach, Skin-so-Soft seems to work pretty well. And my Avon rep is hot.

In the jungle, I usually use a 30-06. That keeps 'em off just fine.

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/28/05 02:52 AM

I trust what Simon Said No Rain No Bites
No Deet.

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/28/05 07:36 PM

The last word is Avon skin so soft is on sale for $5
Posted By: sophnramon

Re: BUG Spray/Sunscreen - 04/29/05 08:55 PM

We just got back- didn't see (or feel!) one mostquito and we only wore a little bug spray at night.

We used a great sun screen though- from REI. It was called Aloe Gator Super Waterproof Total Sunblock Gel SPF 40. I didn't think we would use it- I've never used as high as SPF 45 before but we really needed it for our snorkeling trips. And it lasts in the water for 8 hours so we didn't have to think about it again. The sun was much stronger than I expected- my hubby is Puerto Rican and he got a little burned where he missed with the SPF.... never seen him sunburned before!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board