AmbergrisCaye.com Home

How many times have you been back to AC?

Posted By: Moon

How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 09:18 PM

Just curious as to how many repeat visits to AC people have made, because it seems like most people who have visited are talking about their next trip back!!! I keep hearing about the island *magic* and can't wait to experience it in December!

Are people going several times a year, or once a year for several or many years?? Just curious!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 09:54 PM

Been three times since my first visit Jan. '05.
Posted By: RMT

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 10:12 PM

We're in Pa. and go every other year as we have to go to Ireland in between ( family)...BUT our "off year" vacation the last three times has been AC and look forward to the fourth trip beginning of 2006.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 10:14 PM

First visit was in May '04, second was in Feb '05, and we're headed back again before the end of the year.
Posted By: klcman

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 10:50 PM

19 visits since '93, although 2 or 3 of them were mainland only, ranging in duration from 14-30 days at a stretch. Most are split stays.
Posted By: Teenah

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 10:54 PM

11 times since 2000!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 11:07 PM

This May is the 6th time, since April 2003.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 11:21 PM

a minimum of 2000 times
Posted By: JeanH

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/28/05 11:48 PM

Fourth trip since June 2004 is coming up exactly four weeks from today!!! I can hardly stand it. Upcoming trip will be our first stay at the Palms.
Posted By: RI Beth

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:16 AM

Seven times since 2003.
Posted By: AP55

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:30 AM

You guys must have found something there I didnt.
I just got back and between the phone strikes and the political unrest that I saw and spoke to people about I didnt find anything magic about AC. I dont think I will ever go back.
Dont get me wrong, Its a beautiful place, good food, nice people, great resorts and the water is like no other.
I just didnt like the fact that the poltical isuues could blow up at any moment and probably will. The streets are filthy and traffic is dangerous riding or walking.

I am not trying to make any one mad just stating my opinion.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:43 AM

Wow!!! I can't believe all these repeats, and some in such a short time span!! How're you guys getting all this time off work...??!! cool

Have you been to any of the "usual" Carribean islands, such as St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Bahamas etc., etc., and just be drawn back to AC or have you just been to AC and found the perfect spot and not gone to the other islands?

AP55 - Sorry you didn't have such a good time, I think this is the first post I've read where someone wasn't too thrilled with the island, but I think it would be a little unnerving with the politics and strikes etc., while you were there.

We were in St. Maarten donkey's years ago, at the time Grenada was invaded, so made enquiries to see what the locals in St. M thought about it, and whether there'd be any spill over! They were fine and put our minds at rest. It was a good island 20 years ago, but I don't think I'd go back now, it's so commercialized. We like islands off the beaten track - Eleuthera in the Bahamas is gorgeous - but I digress, this is all about AC and hopefully there'll be no worries by the time we plan on going at the end of the year. wink
Posted By: papashine

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:52 AM

Valid points, Sanpedro is playing catch-up with the enormous expansion its gone through the last 15 years or so and is addressing these problems and I think that they will eventually succeed inspite of the lack of adequate funding. I believe if you return in a couple of years the probs you encountered will be history. Its still a wonderfull place to live and raise children I for one would not live anywhere else.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:58 AM

I just read on MSN that Germany has a big problem with EXPLODING TOADS...you can just never tell whats around the corner eh!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:59 AM

add to my islands list: Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St John, Margarita, Los Roques, Barbados, St Martin/St Maarten, Martinique, Capri, Vieques, Vinylhaven, Monhegan, Islesboro, Grenada (when the Cubans were there "advising", just prior to Reagan's visit - and trust me, whatever is happening in BZE, ain't nothing compared to that!!)- and IMHO, AC is home away from home.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 01:19 AM

Hey Klcman!

You can't count those Maine islands!!! They ain't the warm, sunny Carribean islands those of us in Maine are trying to get to!!! Okay, you had me there - I see you live in the beautiful Rockport, Maine! Long live Andre!!

That answers my question that if AC is home away from home, where's home! Gotcha! laugh
Posted By: bywarren

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 01:35 AM

My different take on what AP55 has to say than would be the position of many on the “board”. I agree that many times when someone expresses negative comments about Belize and AC in particular, there are those who come to the defense and tell of how wonderful their vacation was or how many times they have been to Belize and how much they love it. Well, I have been to Belize many times over many years and spend a good part of the year there, as what I would describe myself, as an “extended tourist”.
And, I would be disingenuous to say that I like Belize as much now as I did in years past. It is changing. Yes change is inevitable, but we do not have to like it. There are many problems that Belize faces and it is not the “perfect vacation destination” for every traveler as I am afraid it is trying to portray. When Belize advertises and tries to offer something for everyone wishing to find a vacation spot in the Caribbean, I believe it is not capitalizing on what it has to offer.
A good friend of mine said to me something that I thought vary intuitive. He said, “Every other country in the Caribbean is trying to be like Belize and Belize is trying to be every other country in the Caribbean”.
Belize is unique and should try and advertise and capitalize on the uniqueness it has to offer. When it tries to be something for everyone, it will not meet everyone’s expectations and there will be people who will be disappointed.
When I invite friends to come visit me, I only invite my friends that I think will appreciate and enjoy what I know Belize has to offer.
So from my standpoint, I wish more people would complain when Belize does not live up to their expectations and maybe, although I know better, Belize would go back to offering what it can offer that so many other places cannot, and let the tourists wanting what Belize does not have go other places.
Posted By: LBI Jerseyboy

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 01:56 AM

Ap55, your not serious are you? Dirty streets? you mean the dust? and dangerous streets? Have you been on the BQE in New York? The NJ turnpike? This was my first visit to Belize, and it was the same time all the so-called unrest and lack of services at times happened. We just went with the flow. No phones, no problem. No power, we used our flashlights and had dinner by candlelight. We fell in love with the place, the people, and all AC has to offer. I've been to Cairo, Kenya, Bangkok, and many places in Europe. Never have I found people with so little be so happy and kind hearted as I've experienced here. Like the terminator said "I'll be back"....

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 02:01 AM

Sure I can.....you didn't make any qualifications

(and well said By!)
Posted By: Wendy

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:03 AM

27 trips since 1992!
The last one for 7 months....

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Pedro1:
a minimum of 2000 times
Permenent jet-lag...this explains alot.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:14 AM

Pedro1 has been ejected 1999 times... next time is coming soon!
Posted By: jazz

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:19 AM

two times in two years--it isn't enough.going twice this year.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:24 AM

LBI< yes I was serious. But as is I said, my comments werent made to make anyone mad. They are just my opinion. AC is a beautiful place in many ways. I didnt mean dusty streets, I meant garbage such as plastic bottles, cans, bags and other litter that has been discarded and laying around for months. San Pedro could help their image greatly by cleaning up this mesh.
My comments arent meant to be mean, they are my opinion. I know I cant be alone in my opinion. I just happen to not be afraid to express it.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:29 AM

bywarren , thanks for your insight.
LbI , The people of Belize were very nice, no complaints. They have a great zest for life but are getting educated about their government and are tired of being take advantage of.
( ps , have you ever been on Interstate 4 between tampa and orlando florida, you are taking your life in your hands every time you start your car.)

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:52 AM

Lol, no worries. No I've never been on I4, and you do have a point regarding the road litter up north, but I feel in time they'll clean it up as the area develops. Sort of a catch22 though, hope it doesn't overdevelop and have a drive thru at Mcdonalds, with the golf cart. Then it may lose some of it's charm. Be careful, it's not easy adjusting to this lifestyle again in the states... cool
Posted By: sanpedroone

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:43 AM

5 times since 2000, bought property on the 2nd trip, moving in 5 weeks to AC
Posted By: o jackie

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:55 AM

9 times since 2001, going back in August.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 05:05 AM

hi jacks!
Posted By: 1BKeeper

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 07:29 AM

First trip in '03, again in '05, plans in the works for '06....I hope it will become a yearly trip from now on.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 08:18 AM

LBI Jerseyboy, "up north" have you noticed behind Barefoot Iguana? And, that is just one example. frown
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 08:30 AM

Hi By: That last paragraph was a beut...my hed is still spinning.
Posted By: USNA73

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:14 PM

First trip - June '04.
First repeat - June '05.
Can't wait... cool

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 12:14 PM

Bill, that is because only you and I are up at that time of the night and we keep "spinning" our heads around looking for someone else.
Are you still on the island or back in St. Louis? If you are still on the island, you should see if you can get an invitation to Pedro's Monday super lunch. He won't give me one.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:16 PM

Been on I4 many times, Junior's doing 120 in the fast lane and Grandad is doing 40 in the slow. One of the worst roads I've travelled even compared to the Northern Highway on a Friday night.

To defend AC they do have many workers on the street trying to keep up with the garbage problem. Now it's a matter of educating the general public as to what those containers by the side of the road are.

Once all the streets are paved and front street is closed to vehicles the dust problem will greatly improve. Only problem is that it's probably going to take 5 or 10 years to finish.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:30 PM

The mess behind Barefoot Iguana was an attempt to fill the roadbed with trash and eventually cover that with fill dirt to make the road passable. this has been done all over the island with some limited degree of sucess.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 03:50 PM

My first trip was in 91 or 93, can't recollect.
I loved AC best back then, but AC folks seem to want to get rid of the humble quaint island, that the tourists love. Less is more to me.

5 long trips for me, but I visit everyday in my heart and mind. I visit the island and sea as a whole, not just a few bars.

Trash, I bend over and pick up trash, and had my grandkids do the same, and carry to next trash can. Just our way of showing love for AC.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:05 PM

Several times a year for many years. Trash has always been a problem. But I still love it - and the mainland even more. Bought 7 acres in Cayo last year.
Posted By: njmichael

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:22 PM

My trips since 2002: Tortola BVI, Aruba (twice), Hopkins (honeymoon), Corozal, San Pedro, Roatan (twice).

Trips booked for next 12 months: Panama, Corozal/San Pedro (split), Roatan.

On my 'to-do' list: Placencia, Isla Holbox (Mexico), Utila.

I was initially concerned that San Pedro might be too commercial, something I was starting to try to get away from. However on the way to Corozal there was a stopover in San Pedro, and sitting there at BCs looking out at the sea I knew I'd be back.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:41 PM

Jesse, that is a good point and an explanation of why it is being done. I was aware of that. My point being, I sometimes wonder if those in San Pedro do not see "the forest for the trees". It is a huge eye sore that many tourists see and it leaves a bad impression even though there is a reason for doing it ( which most tourists do not understand ). Just because there is a reason for doing it does not mean it should be done or that there is not a better way to do it. Recognizing a problem and looking for alternate solutions is better than just trying to give the reason for the problem.

P.S. And before you or others jump all over me, AP55 or anybody else who might be critical of our beloved island and say "all you do is complain", think of AC as a business that is run by the Town Board and the tourist as their customer. When I was in business, I enjoyed hearing my customers tell me how happy they were. What I really wanted to hear was what the ones that were unhappy had to say. That was were my oportunity was to improve my business. And, it was not the customers responsibility to tell me what I needed to do to fix the problem. That was my job. That is the job of the elected officials in San Pedro.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:48 PM

So why aren't you running things?
Posted By: Teenah

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:49 PM

Hey BY! Sure was nice to meet the face behind the name... Your avitar photo is a dead ringer! smile

BTW, Jim is in Sask. hunting snows. Sounds like he's doing well because he and the dogs are exhausted!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 04:54 PM

See Jesse, I knew you would come up with a comment like that. Go back and read my edit that I was doing while you responded from your seat high up on the pyrimid of ingnorance. :p

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 05:11 PM

Do you ever have anything constructive to offer?
Posted By: Gela

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 06:02 PM

Getting back the the poster's question, I will be making my sixth trip in 4 years this coming week.

On one of my visits to AC, back in 2003, we lost power quite a bit and although it was inconvenient, we quickly learned which establishments had generators (BCs, Woody's) so we always knew where we still could get cold beer!
Posted By: mobunny

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/29/05 06:37 PM

o jackie - when in August will you be in SP and will you be at BB? Irm and I will be at Mata Rocks from 8/4 - 8/18. Maybe will see you at the Squirrel's Nest?! mobunny cool

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 12:02 AM

Teenah, glad Jim is having a good time. I would enjoy meeting him sometime. I must confess that my picture is an old one. Actually, it is my high school graduation picture. I think the only person that took longer than me to graduate from high school was Jesse. Whoops, I am possibly jumping to a false conclusion based on what Jesse writes in assuming that Jesse graduated. I guess I should replace it with a more recent picture of me. I would hope that I have aged well and will keep aging. smile

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 12:09 AM

Hi By:...just never seen three dangling participals in one sentence. Yo totally a wordsmitty obviously. Bill PS. I'm here in St Louis...and out of the loop when in San Pedro.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 12:42 AM

Hey KLCMan - I DID qualify that question :p - it was "CARRIBBEAN ISLANDS"........!!!! But very nice to hear that it felt like home from home, given where home is!

But if we're listing all islands, how about Appledore, Smuttynose, Star Island, Boon Island, Isleboro, Harbour Island, Eleuthera, Ireland, Great Britain, Isle of Wight, Paradise Island, Barbados, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Maarten/Martin, St. Barts, Aran Islands.... okay, memory exhausted!

eek I know there's been a lot of discussion about dirt and litter since I was last on here, but don't you see that in most of the islands in the Caribbean? I can look along the highways right here in Maine and see loads of rubbish, and seeing as how we actually do have a place to put it, it shouldn't be there in the first place. The islands are a different time and place and I think if maybe AC is the first island visit for some, they maybe appalled at various things that they weren't expecting, but if you've been to a few of the islands, then you at least have some idea of what to expect.

I think it's just best to go with an open mind and go with the flow once you get there. We went on holiday to Bermuda one year and, as clean as that island is, we had a lousy holiday! It was too uptight, nothing was going on, NOTHING, in early December and it wasn't that warm either. Of course it was -10 in Boston so 50 degrees in Bermuda should have felt balmy, but I stayed in the same clothes I wore in -10 degrees when we were in 50 degrees! I think a lot of it's to do with what your expectations are.

As long as I have a place to cool off, a cold drink in my hand and a bit of peace and quiet I'm happy! wink

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 01:15 AM

don't forget Manhattan ! wink
Posted By: reaper

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 01:15 AM

When visiting a new destination or an old favorite vacation spot remember one rule...try to leave it a better place than when you got there! Most of the time it's take, take, take! 11 times next month. cool

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 01:32 AM

You got me there! Yup, add that one to my list as well! Manhattan! Oh, and Badger's Island! How about Rhode Island? does that count?

Off to kickstart the weekend!

Cheers!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 01:39 AM

Block & Plum ...and dont forget Caye Corker
Posted By: Scooter

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 02:34 AM

I must be the oldest....first visit 1985 (loved looking at all those young brits...) again in 87, 89
not again until 2001, we suddenly realized we forgot to have children. Our last trip we introduced them to Belize. Hoping to go back next year...

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 02:46 AM

So bywarren: you really don't have anything constructive to offer?

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 02:59 AM

Jesse -if you promise not to look at Pedro's-no I am joking -If you come in I promise to buy you your first two drinks

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 03:00 AM

Yes Jesse, I offered what I considered to be constructive. If you don't get it, move your chair up to the top of the of the pyramid of ignorence. I think you deserve a raise.
Posted By: jfabes

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 03:08 AM

I must agree that on the north part of the island the trash dumping was very pitiful and disappointing. I didnt spend more than 30 minutes north of the cut because of all the trash lying everywhere and the nasty smell as well.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 03:35 AM

con·struc·tive (k&#601;n-str&#365;k't&#301;v)
adj.

1. Serving to improve or advance; helpful:

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 03:45 AM

Pedro1: I'd prefer to meet you on neutral ground where I'll buy you a couple or 2...

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 04:58 AM

A couple is always two
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 05:48 AM

Heading down for round 6 in a few days. I just returned from my first trip to NYC and loved it. There is good and bad everywhere in the world. I hope my upcoming vacation is all good!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 06:16 AM

Hey, I am heading down for round 6 too, on Sunday!
Posted By: Windjammer

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 06:55 AM

5/01, 5/02, 5/03, 7/04, 2/05 & hoping to be back on my free raffle ticket winnings in a month or two. www.sanpedrosc.org Have also been to Antigua, Bequia, Cancun, Carriacou, Cozumel, Dominica, Grenada, Hawaii (not Caribbean), Iles de Saintes, Jamaica, Martineque, Mayreau, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Union Island BUT since May 2001 only want to go back to San Pedro.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 07:06 AM

ke -

I'm shocked....6 trips and you didn't know Marina's?? I bet you don'tt know the unmentionable locals place to eat down that way either then do you? wink

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 08:52 PM

So, jfabes, would it be your recommendation that a first time visitor head to the southern part of the island instead of the north?

And, um, exactly what was the horrible smell - sewage, rotting food, what was it?

We were thinking of Belizean Shores to stay at, and have had some good feedback about their property. Can anyone compare the northern end of the island regarding the litter and smell to any of the other Carribean islands? Just looking for a frame or reference really. Don't fancy being down wind of some sewage plant or dump where they're burning the trash.....~

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 09:47 PM

Moon, the dump is actually at the south end of AC. I stayed up north without any noticable odor whatsoever. The trash everyone refer's to is along side the road in certain areas. It is a bit of an eyesoar, but if you can look past it and enjoy the resorts and their restaurants, you'll have a good time. The advantage of staying near town is your closer to the action, and don't need to rely on the water taxi's, or golf carts to get you home. Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 10:03 PM

Moon - if you are used to seeing the trash like on other carib islands, the trash around SP will not bother you. Same mentality.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 04/30/05 11:31 PM

ADVERTISE; UNBARRIED TREASURE!!!! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 12:04 AM

So Jesse, what really is your problem?

Why is it that you continue to berate those whose opinions don't mirror your exceptionally negative tone?

bywarren simply made a statement that spoke the truth about what people perceive. They see trash, they see trash. They don't know it might be there for some other reason.

Reminds me of a great suggestion someone smarter than you once made me. When you really want to get an idea as to what your business (or house, or island) looks like, take a few pictures of it and review them at face value. It's amazing how much more you'll see than when you're standing in the middle of things, with a wider view. It truly is effective.

OK, either whack this (as usual) or have at me. I'm willing to debate.
Posted By: taffycat3

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 12:08 AM

I've been once- the vacation was good, the location just okay. We met some great people, the food was great, and the sun warm - but I missed the beach. I guess that I expected an island get-away to have beaches (where the sand meets the water). I was surprised that the island was surrounded by a rock wall that really prevented much of a beach, and the reef preventing waves from coming ashore. If I want to fish, snorkle, or scuba, I'll be back... but for body boarding or beaching I'll go elsewhere.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 12:20 AM

CM, my pediction is that he will not debate you, that requires using some intelligence. If he responds at all, he will just ask you a question.
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 12:32 AM

Or simply delete my post.

Oh, I almost forgot. Only four times on AC for me. Five trips to BZ total. I'm sure I'm not qualified for any opinions or input at all, but I've met some good people there (and here) and have gotten involved with what I think may be beneficial efforts. Considering a property purchase as well.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 01:22 AM

catmo -

fear not....and I'm pretty sure you won't. We all know what opinions are like...keep firing, my man, keep firing.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 01:59 AM

NAW, SHUT UP, ERNIE
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 02:04 AM

LOLOLOL! Go ahead Ernie...
Posted By: wannaBEthere

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 02:20 AM

What makes or breaks a vacation for me are the people and the general atmosphere around the area, if that's good, all the other "stuff" is frosting on the cake.

Back for more "cake" with mighty good frosting in 11 more days

laugh
Posted By: rumncoke

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 05:25 AM

Newbie snorklers searching for the perfect island. 1st trip was in 1999 to Playa del Carmen but went to Cancun for snorklin'. In 2000 it was Ambergris at Mayan Princess, 2001 at Banyan Bay and 2003 at Belizean Shores. Oct 2004 was Bonaire and will be again this year in May. Future trips are Roatan, Turks/Caicos,Bahama Out Islands, Cozumel, Caymens and of course Ambergris again.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 06:55 AM

KLCman, I only like eating at local places but which one did you mean? I AM AT THE AIRPORT NOW!!! LEAVING IN 2 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/01/05 07:50 AM

if I told ya the name, some boarders would kill me, but it's down that way..........

and don't forget to have fun!
Posted By: MikeCaroleinKC

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/02/05 01:18 AM

We've been 8 times and planning our trip for next Jan/Feb. Every time we've stayed we have split time between the mainland and San Pedro.
Posted By: evirdhgih

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/02/05 05:43 AM

8 years, bought condo year 3.
Posted By: Wendy

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/02/05 08:13 AM

Where are you on the island ~~ Vancouver Island?

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/02/05 07:09 PM

RumNCoke,

Which hotel did you like best at AC? We're thinking of Belizean Shores, will be our first visit to AC - would you recommend any one over any of the others you've stayed at there?

Also newbie snorkeler - never really liked to see what was in the water with me!!!

Thx

(You'll love T&C - great local place right on the marina!)

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/03/05 12:26 AM

Hey Moon - what part of vaca land do you live?

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/03/05 01:32 AM

York - about two and a half hours south of you!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/03/05 02:49 AM

gotcha - some folks up here would say u r in Mass wink

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/03/05 03:09 AM

yup, but weren't y'all part of Mass all them years ago......?? Don't think the sprawl will stay away from your door, it's almost knocking..... oh for the good old days.... but they still roll up the streets 'round these parts come Labour Day...... just more of them latte drinkin' yuppies moved in fer good and ruinin' the place. Would consider moving north but winter's too long here, nevermind there. The islands are a-beckonin'......

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/03/05 03:21 AM

yup ME was part of MASS, correct - until the true Yankees got smart and split off.

Spawl? yup, we got it too, almost as bad as AC! Town planners? Most folks ya get them at Staples or Office Max wink

Go forth island lover, be fruitful & multiply......
Posted By: lakegirl

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/04/05 02:01 AM

Moon,

I hate to ask this on the AC board but here goes!!!

Where did you stay on T&C and how did you like it? Thinking of a future trip there, were there lots of things to do? Any info or comments would be great!

Still really loved our trip to AC though going back for number 2 next year.

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/04/05 02:49 AM

Hey LakeGirl,

As long as the board doesn't mind, I don't! Or was this a place I was supposed to keep secret so there'd always be room at the inn for us????!!

We stayed at, I'm pretty sure, it was Turtle Cove. It's right ON the marina in Provo, and is within walking distance of several restaurants, including Jerkin' Fifi's run by an Ozzie just down the dock from Turtle Cove.

It's NOT on the beach. There was supposed to be a shuttle to the beach, but there wasn't! That having been said, we had a fantastic time on a couple of day sails (that's what we REALLY like!) - one to a nature preserve, and a water spout just happened upon us while we were at anchor (and that's something to see, as long as you're on the leeside of it!) and the other was to one of the cays that had masses of iguanas on it, they were just great.

And for someone who's TRYING to get used to seeing things in the water when I swim, I did a pretty good job swimming back to where the sail boat was anchored (amongst the barracuda!) instead of taking the Avon back!

We really enjoyed where we stayed because it was a locals hangout at the bar on the property, and it was small. I think it was about ten years ago that we went, but they were developing all up along Grace Bay which is the main beach. Friends stayed somewhere on Grace Bay arriving on Provo the day we left - we actually saw them at the airport as they were deplaning and we were in the departure lounge. When we got back, the stories we all had to tell made it sound like we were on totally different islands! We had a wonderful experience at Turtle Cove, they didn't up on Grace Bay, but I can't remember where they stayed.

There's a reef right off Grace Bay where all the divers go. I do a bit of snorkelling once I get the courage up to see what I'm swimming with, but really we like the day sails to different keys, or to see the wildlife.

So, having told you all that - how do you think we'll like AC?? Any hotel recommendations? We dont' like chains and we don't like to have touristy stuff forced upon us. Looking at Belizean Shores but wonder if it's a bit too remote from what's going on on the rest of the island.

Cheers!

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/04/05 08:24 PM

If you like hanging out with the locals, forget BZ Shores. Try Mayan Princess, Blue Tang, The Tides, Paradise Villas - all in town and easy access to bars, shops, restaurants, etc. Lily's or Rubies if you are on a budget. Maybe Exotic Caye which has a popular locals bar but is a bit further from town.
Posted By: wannaBEthere

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/04/05 10:28 PM

I'm with Barbara on this one. After reading your post, I think that BZ Shores might not be the best location for you. To get to "town" you'll need a cart, bicycle or water taxi.

Kinda takes the spontaneity of just taking a short stroll to town.

Don't get me wrong, we stayed there, LOVED it, and no regrets at all, but that was what we were looking for "last year". It was a perfect fit as we didn't care about spending many nights out.

This year we're staying closer to town

laugh
Posted By: rumncoke

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/08/05 04:51 AM

Hey Moon,

We liked all the places we stayed at for different reasons, just like different islands. We always get a place with a kitchen (on a low budget) and a pool is nice also. Mayan Princess was a good location in town, good price, good view from second floor balcony, nice rooms etc. but no pool, nice swimming although there are more piers out front now. We would stay there again if we could get over the pool thing.
Banyan Bay was kind of a splurge for us, must of been an anniversary or something. Very,very nice roomy two bedroom, jacuzzi (which we got busted in by the housekeeper the first morning there), pool, security, as if you needed it, etc. It was a ways south of town probably 20 minute walk.
Belizean Shores was well north of town, rooms ok, good views from second floor, nice grounds, great infinity pool, free kayaks and a mooring buoy at reef to tie up to. I liked this area away from everything, quiet, nice shaded beach walks, or riding bikes to town along beach (requires stops at palpapa bar).
I know it makes no sense but next time we would either stay in the middle of town where everythings happening or even further north of Belizean Shores up around Mexico Rocks where the water gets really purdie.
Posted By: Sam Scuba

Re: How many times have you been back to AC? - 05/09/05 01:20 AM

My husband and I discovered San Pedro in 2/02. We returned in 4/03, and in 2004 we visited 3 times. We just got back from a trip to Roatan, and as lovely as it was, I pined for San Pedro the whole time. We're planning another trip to San Pedro in 11/05 and know we will make it a regular part of our vacation life.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board