AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: wannaBEthere Safe Sea - 05/05/05 05:48 PM
I know that this has been asked at least a bazillion times, but I can't find the thread that answered it. Which shop sells Safe Sea and do they usually have in stock? It's got to be cheaper to buy it there then to spend the extra for a 2 day delivery cool
Posted By: seashell Re: Safe Sea - 05/05/05 05:52 PM
Pedro2 at Protech once told us that he carried it, but hasn't responded to any of the latest threads. Perhaps he's run out?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Safe Sea - 05/05/05 06:12 PM
Monkey Business at the Banana Beach Resort
Posted By: wannaBEthere Re: Safe Sea - 05/05/05 06:27 PM
okeee Monkey Business (as all run as fast as they can to scoop up the last few bottles) ...no problem, we'll be there just in time for a new shipment to arrive!

laugh

Seashell, we fly our next Wed. but will head to the airport Tues afternoon, so latest delivery needs to be by Monday.
Posted By: seashell Re: Safe Sea - 05/05/05 06:31 PM
Have fun wanna!! Safe Sea or no, I hope you don't run into any pica pica.
Posted By: Ivana Snorkel Re: Safe Sea - 05/06/05 05:30 PM
In Feb. Banyan Bay and Victoria House dive shops had it, approx. $30 BZ.
Posted By: john robertsdenver Re: Safe Sea - 05/06/05 10:39 PM
WANNABETHERE, leasurepro has it do a google search, but chances are if you are going beyond mid may it will no longer be a factor. i believe april and the first part of may are the times for sea lice (pica pica) and you may not even need it. leasure pro had it at 995 a bottle john in denver
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Safe Sea - 05/06/05 11:55 PM
Sorry, been offline recently (computer problems). Protech is now out of Safe Sea.
Posted By: robino Re: Safe Sea - 05/07/05 01:02 AM
don't waste your money on seasafe. We just got back from there 4/30 and I poured seasafe all over and I just finished my steriods pack b/o having pica pica all over and so did my husband.
Posted By: wannaBEthere Re: Safe Sea - 05/07/05 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies cool

Maybe those lil critters have packed their bags and moved on!
Posted By: wannaBEthere Re: Safe Sea - 05/07/05 01:32 AM
ohhhh robino, so sorry to hear that.

Hope you still had a good time
Posted By: seashell Re: Safe Sea - 05/07/05 11:23 PM
Robino, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. Here's an article from September 2003:

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Jellies200309.shtml
Posted By: Sam Scuba Re: Safe Sea - 05/09/05 01:35 AM
I also slathered myself in Safe Sea while visitng Roatan last week--only to return home with a "collar" of sea lice stings. However, my boat mates didn't use Safe Sea and didn't get any stings to speak of. Maybe some of us are "sweeter" than others!

One thing to keep in mind, if you buy the Safe Sea with SPF protection, they warn that it could ruin your neoprene dive suit. I bought the non-SPF type and at least saved the suit. I'm using two types of creams (one is steroidal) given to me by the resort doctor and trying not to scratch. Sea lice stings are nasty.
Posted By: seashell Re: Safe Sea - 05/09/05 01:42 AM
The article does say that despite using the Safe Sea, some people will still be more affected than others.

Are you very sure you applied to the area where you have the ring? For example, I burned my feet terribly in Hawaii one time. All because I hadn't slathered suntan lotion all the way to my toes. It was quite an interesting burn pattern. smile

I just got back from Roatan last week as well and also didn't have any Safe Sea but didn't get stung either. However, I was diving with a couple that were absolutely covered all over their cores. They had encountered the pica pica two days before I met them. Wicked looking. I didn't find out if they had been wearing wetsuits or not when stung like that.

What side of the island were you diving from?
Posted By: Sam Scuba Re: Safe Sea - 05/09/05 02:15 AM
The only exposed areas were my face, neck and hands. I put a generous amount of Safe Sea on my neck, and that's the area that was most affected. I didn't apply it to my face or ears, and I got one sting on my face and one on an earlobe. We were at Anthony's Key Resort on the north side but did a few dives on the south side as well (Mary's Place, of course). I saw thimble jellies in the water on our north and west end dives.
Posted By: seashell Re: Safe Sea - 05/09/05 03:17 AM
I guess I got lucky. I was down at West End.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Safe Sea - 05/11/05 12:00 AM
I just did a test on safe sea. I covered myself with profusious amounts and got pica pica as if I had done nothing. I did two days of diving and found no benefit to using it. On the third day, I just used vasoline around the areas usually affected and had better results.
Posted By: seashell Re: Safe Sea - 05/11/05 12:29 AM
Bywarren, I want to make sure that I correctly understand your testimonial.

Are you saying that you dove two days, encountered the thimble jellyfish larvae both days and became covered in welts?

And then on the third day, when you were already covered with welts, you smeared vasoline on strategic areas, and encountered thimble jellyfish larvae, but didn't get any new welts?

When did the welts first appear?
Posted By: bywarren Re: Safe Sea - 05/11/05 12:40 AM
I got fewer stings using the vasoline than when I used safe sea. The welts were noticable as soon as I got out of the water. I have been going thru this for many years and have found no other prevention other than using oil or vasoline and either wearing as little as posible or if you have a skin or wetsuit that fits very tight around the neck, then you can get by with that.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board