AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Otteralum Snuba in Belize??? - 05/11/05 06:55 PM
If anyone is familiar with Snuba, do you know if it is offered by any outfit in Belize?? Really wanted to try it out.
Posted By: papashine Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/11/05 07:02 PM
Protech may have it, I remember something about it a while back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/11/05 09:46 PM
We have the technology but the more I study it the less I like it, so don't think I'll be offering it.
Posted By: papashine Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/11/05 10:08 PM
I agree, IMO its designed for people with little or no diving skills and advertised as easy to do, but is potentially very dangerous. I can see it being useful for certified divers working in shallow water for extended periods of time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/13/05 03:22 AM
Stepping off the curb in Manhattan is potentially very dangerous?
Posted By: seashell Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/13/05 06:48 AM
I'm glad to hear that Pedro2 decided not to go with the SNUBA.

With regard to SNUBA, there are real concerns. There's always danger breathing compressed air under the water. It is necessary to understand very well, the need to continue to breath and *never* hold your breath. Too quick an ascent from even a *very* shallow depth can be dangerous. Boyles Law applies to SNUBA the same as it does with SCUBA.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/13/05 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. My wife isn't interested in PADI certification and for our anniversary trip I was looking for a compromise. I'll keep looking and maybe we'll both just snorkel.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/13/05 02:32 PM
Try a "Discover SCUBA" session, no need for certification. Most of the dive shops with instructors offer the course.
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/13/05 03:17 PM
Excellent and clear thinking by everyone here, IMO. Snuba appears to have been developed as a form of resort entertainment and, in my mind, has more risk that most operators make apparent to potential clients. Discover SCUBA, on the other hand, is an excellent alternative...and there's nothing at all wrong with snorkeling, especially in places like Mexico Rocks. Very beautiful and full of life--lots to see from 0-12'.
Posted By: Maresman1 Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/14/05 01:55 AM
I am a little confused about some of the statements on snuba. As I understand it snuba is snorkling with a tank and reg. No weights, so you float on the surface like snorkling but breath through a reg and tank (on the surface)like diving. So how does any compression concerns come into play???
Posted By: papashine Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/14/05 02:48 AM
Do search on snuba..lots of imfo.
Posted By: seashell Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/14/05 10:00 AM
Here, save yourself some energy:

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=009436#000003
Posted By: papashine Re: Snuba in Belize??? - 05/14/05 04:13 PM
Maresman I think you are talking about supplied air snorkling for youth{SASY} It requires a 60 min instruction if you go through PADI.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board