AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Good service on Ambergris Caye

Posted By: Pedro1

Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 12:33 AM

I believe that all good service should be rewarded by a tip....
however please explain why I should pay extra for bad service.....
Does this help the average waitperson improve on their skills or does it lead to them just wanting to serve Americans that appear to think that any service, no matter how bad, should be rewarded?
Posted By: sev32665

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 12:37 AM

i am american and i agree with you--tip if good service , no tip if bad service. In the words of my boss, "next time you get bad service tell your waitperson(or whomever did the bad service)that there tip is too learn to do a better job and explain how they can do that". this way they might learn a little something or atleast try a little harder next time.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 12:41 AM

Pass the duct tape, please laugh
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 12:49 AM

No one wants to wait on a surly Brit- tip or no.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 12:55 AM

couldn't pay me enough! laugh
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 01:13 AM

tip this...oops, I'm so sorry!!!

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 01:19 AM

Moronic posts as usual-perhaps you should both try and answer the questions fairly and honestly

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 01:36 AM

Pedro1 can not get us to serve him, much like his waitstaff. That's ok Pedro, you do not have to tip us, pay enough just to mess with you.
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 01:54 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves...
People that get great service and great food - and still don't leave a tip. mad

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 02:08 AM

well spoken Isle....
Posted By: doggums

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 02:12 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves...
Pedro.
Posted By: Gela

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 02:51 AM

Islenutt - I agree 100% - if I am with the group that doesn't reward accordingly, I compensate for them (truly embarrassing).

So Pedro1 - was this comment prompted by a recent experience say outside of AC or just in general?

laugh
Posted By: RD

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 03:58 AM

I agree with Pedro1 completely. The idea of tipping for poor service is just completely stupid. If the food isnt up to par, that may be the fault of either the cook or the management. Bad service, however, is simply that.... bad service. Why would anyone reward a waiter for bad service? You are not only doing them a bad service, you are also encouraging them to continue on with their incompetence. I think one should tell them discreatly that their performance did not warrant a gratuity and if possible, make some suggestions on how they might improve. I have never believed that making a scene helps anyone, but in the case of either bad service or bad food, I believe it is your responsiblility to advise the management in a constructive way. If your comments aren't dealt with professionaly, then you should probably not return to that establishment. Most businesses know that their best publicity is word of mouth and govern themselves accordingly.

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:06 AM

One further note, it gets a little boring to see the same old people make the same old inane comments every time that someone they obviously do not like makes a legit comment! Give it a rest!!

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:08 AM

Hey, a volunteer for the board cop!
Posted By: papashine

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:11 AM

or is that bored cop

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:16 AM

have a nice night RD

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:19 AM

Good service and good food, is what we all expect.
Most will be happy to pay and tip accordingly.

Is it up to patrons to train/instruct the help?
Training is the job of the manager/owner.

One runs a risk of spit in their food if they tick off the help, that is a fact. Just pick another restaurant, and let the restaurant at fault go out of business.

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:29 AM

Which comments are the inane ones?

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:47 AM

thanks klc I will have a nice night, nice of you to be so thoughtful. I agree in part with Chloe's comment, in that most people are happy to pay and tip for good food and service, and of course its not up to the patron to train/instruct the help!! However tipping, just for the sake of tipping, does nothing to help staff that is not attentive... and by this I do not mean the obvious new staff that is trying their best, and make a few mistakes... I mean the staff that couldnt give a sh.. whether or not they do a good job or not! As for inane comments, NY gal, Jesse, KLC, Chloe's first posts and doggums..... just one question, why, if you are going to respond to a post, would you not try to at least make a pertinent comment? Or, on the other hand, if the original post is made by someone you dislike, why bother post at all?

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:55 AM

you're welcome and welcome back to the board, we've missed you these past 4 months

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:08 AM

Actually, I dont post very often.. but I check this board on a daily basis. We lived in SP from 2001 to 2003 and absolutely loved it. We especially loved the people of San Pedro.. never have we ever found such a wonderful, friendly bunch of people! They are truly Ambergris Caye's richest resource!! Family situations forced us to leave, but "We Left Our Hearts in San Pedro" or a good portion of them anyway. Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise, we will be back for a holiday this winter. Once again, "Living the Dream" as Captain Jeff so aptly puts it!

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:09 AM

Here's hoping ya do get back......and it seems you truly know the spirit of the island!

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:26 AM

Thanks klc

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:30 AM

did we just hijack? wink :p

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:32 AM

I think we did, and I apologize....

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:37 AM

Finally someone who is prepared to stand up to the board

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 02:00 PM

RD, politely I comment back to you.

Tip as you would, read as you want and skip over all the nonsensical parts of the board. smile

And, welcome back from me too. Come to the chat area and join. Don't come in a kickin' though, we like people in the General Chat Area that have spirit! wink
That's where the chit chat, like this belongs.

Did you see where Ambergris Caye was mentioned in the begining post confused laugh

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 02:38 PM

Pedro1s tipping style:
http://www.comics.com/creators/ballardst/archive/images/ballardst21464890050516.gif
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 02:55 PM

I just realized that I forgot to tip my lawyer and accountant last year!

But I always add at least 20% more trash for the garbage guys to pick up around Christmas...it's really the least I figure I can do.

How much should I give those jolly ticket agents at United?

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 03:36 PM

GOOD SERVICE..Pedro1 how about you providing good services to San Pedro, instead of all your name calling and negative words. Reading you, one would think you HATE everyone, that lives in or visits San Pedro.

Why do you hate Americans? Why do you care how or when Americans tip? We see and feel San Pedro differently than you do, tipping just shows how much we appreciate all the services.

Moronic!!!! How about pulling your head out of your ass long enough to see real people all around you.

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 03:41 PM

AND FURTHERMORE..if you will click on HELP at the top of this page, it explains tipping, service charges and CC charges on AC.
Posted By: Chris

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 04:58 PM

Tipping schedule (American Plan)

Five out of Five: Waiter was smart, friendly, could speak 6 languages, got every bit of the order of a 7 course meal for a party of 4 correct, his wine recommendation was spot on, all food arrived hot (or cold where appropriate) and perfectly cooked and presented. Quite the best restaurant, meal, wine and service I've ever had. Tip 15%

Four out of Five: All of the above, however, Waiter could only speak 4 languages and the wine was served 1 degree too warm. I ordered apple pie and whipped cream for dessert, it came with Vanilla ice cream instead. I'll definitely return. Tip 15%

Three out of Five: Waiter was bilingual, still friendly, (but did he seem to be looking at my girlfriend's cleavage a bit too long?) meal was great, several errors on the order but we got by, wine recommendation was OK. A good place to return to as most everything was fine and might get better next time. Hope the waiter finds his own girlfriend by then! Tip 15%

Two out of Five: Waiter spoke bad English, a bit surly, got most of the order wrong, food lukewarm, wine was vinegary, waiter definitely hitting on my girlfriend, he spilt gravy on my lap as well but he did sort of apologise and handed me a dirty flannel to clean up with. Probably our last meal there. Tip 15%.

One out of Five. Everything was appalling. Waiter barely spoke any language at all, saliva dribbling out of the corner of his mouth, very bad breath, really kept hitting on my girlfriend who lost her sense of smell in World War 2 during a bombing raid. At first she was disgusted by his advances and then she became curious followed by strangely excited and they ended up making out on the table. Wine was rat's saliva, food smelt terrible, restaurant hot and steamy. I will NEVER eat there again, not even to get my ex-girlfriend back. What a disgrace. I'm only going to tip 10%. That'll teach them.

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:14 PM

Chris that is so funny.
Posted By: ktny333

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:39 PM

I was annoyed when we went to Caramba for dinner one night last week and they automatically included 15% service charge to our check. I know some restaurant includes gratuity for a party of 6 or more, but it was just 2 of us!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 05:51 PM

I think people are in danger of losing perspective. I tip if the food/service is above average, usually not if it is just average, and I complain if it's below average. People who tip generously regardless of quality just encourage bad service. I do this in any country. In certain countries/cultures many people tip indiscriminately, tending to this result. Whatever, I don't usually pay any "service charge" that is imposed by the management. Does that make me surly and un-American?

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 06:47 PM

Yes, although it's more anit-American, unamerican is a term we reserved from our own citizens who make the wrong people angry.
Posted By: angelacarr1961

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 07:45 PM

pedro2, you don't tip if the service is just average? Nothing? Jeez!
Posted By: ktny333

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 09:39 PM

Elvi's includes gratuity for a party of 8 or more.
Posted By: mimi

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/16/05 10:00 PM

a waiter friend once told me that leaving a couple of pennies as a tip was the best way to get the point across for bad service.
and yes, i have left 3 pennies a time or two.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 02:22 PM

The problem is that, by leaving only a few pennies, the wait staff will think you are a total a-hole and won't even stop to consider the fact that 1) you were unhappy with the service and 2) they will have no idea as to why you were unhappy.

In other words in the long run it accomplishes nothing. Would you go back to that restaurant and expect good service from the same wait staff next time? You're more likely to find something in your food.
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 03:53 PM

Simon, I agree wholeheartedly... eek

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 03:57 PM

Actually, I had dinner with a friend one time and the service was deplorable. I remarked that we needed to speak to someone. My friend said not to worry he would take care of it. At the end of our meal, when it was time to leave a tip... he took his glass of water and dropped a penny in it. Then took a cardboard coaster and put it ontop of the glass of water... turned it over very fast and placed it on the table. After laughing he removed the coaster and now had left a glass full of water, turned upsidedown with a penny in it.

You can imagine the rest. eek cool

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 04:21 PM

Hmmm....so leaving one penny in water is better than talking with or to someone confused eek

Tip or don't........ it's a choice smile

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 04:34 PM

What a great way to improve the attitude of the servers. That should boost morale and impress them with your maturity.
Posted By: Cass

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 04:46 PM

If service is not good, don't tip, but do tell the manager why you are not tipping so he/she can do his/her job. If service is great, let them know by leaving a big fat gratuity. Its not rocket science, and it doesn't matter what country you are in or from.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 05:16 PM

and here i thought tipping was a city in china.

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 06:25 PM

no NYGal, it's the WAY he left the penny. eek
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 07:21 PM

Not that this is focused on service in Belize, but, for the most part, service is pretty good in Belize. Not entirely professional like you would find at a formal dining room in Manhattan, but friendly and casual.

Conde Naste did a survey and they found most visitors consider the people of Belize to be the country's most important asset, over all of our natural treasures. Hmmm?

Working with several start-up resorts here, no matter how poor the food, no one complained about service and the staff's willingness to do the best they can. I'm sure some do not fit this generalization.

Service is for the most part very good in Belize. Enough of my friends bring home $600 to $1200BZ per week in tips during the high season to prove it.

SIN
Posted By: Beachy

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 09:33 PM

Hi all,
I just know not to get into this, but hey, here goes:

Originally posted by RD:
I agree with Pedro1 completely. The idea of tipping for poor service is just completely stupid. If the food isnt up to par, that may be the fault of either the cook or the management. Bad service, however, is simply that.... bad service. Why would anyone reward a waiter for bad service? I believe it is your responsiblility to advise the management in a constructive way. If your comments aren't dealt with professionaly, then you should probably not return to that establishment. Most businesses know that their best publicity is word of mouth and govern themselves accordingly.
Originally posted by Cass:
If service is not good, don't tip, but do tell the manager why you are not tipping so he/she can do his/her job. If service is great, let them know by leaving a big fat gratuity. Its not rocket science, and it doesn't matter what country you are in or from.
You BOTH have got it, if there is a problem, let a manager know---right then---and he/she should take charge of the situation and make it right. I will do whatever it takes to make a customer happy if I know there is an issue, but little can be done to repair a situation once a customer has left. We monitor our server's tip average (since you're wondering:15-18%) to make sure that his performance is good when we can't be on the spot, and I monitor this board for comments, because, as you say, RD, "Most businesses know that their best publicity is word of mouth"
Originally posted by Sir Isaac Newton:
Conde Naste did a survey and they found most visitors consider the people of Belize to be the country's most important asset, over all of our natural treasures. Hmmm?

SIN
Chris, you and they could not have been more right!

ORDER UP!!!
Chris
Casa Picasso
Posted By: reaper

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 10:21 PM

Try to order a meal as a Yank in Paris, or just try to eat a meal in Tahiti in under 2 hours! Or order in any restaurant in Australia, especially breakfast, and see how it arrives! I think San Pedro has the greatest selection of restaurants for an island its size and tremendously delicious meals. the service varies...but if you are on vacation RELAX. Everywhere isn't like America....isn't that part of the fun of travel? I had a minor problem at a restaurant in SP, spoke with the owner nicely and amazingly enough...no more problem! It is easy to be a customer and it looks SO easy to run a restaurant. It's NOT! To all of the SP owners and managers I say keep up the good work. cool
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/17/05 10:46 PM

Dining out on Ambergris Caye is more of an event than a meal. Take the time to meet the owners, servers, bartenders, and cooks. Don't be in a hurry with your planned out itinerary, chill and enjoy the sights, sounds and settle into that Belizean Daze.

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/18/05 04:15 AM

Beachy: Thanks for your response. As you are an owner of a restaurant, I know you want to know what is happening in your business. I owned a bar-restaurant in Palma Mallorca, Spain, many years ago and I always wanted feed-back from my customers, good or bad...it just makes business sense to keep your customers happy... sometimes, I have to say, the customers were not correct... but who the hell cares, you listen and do what you can to make them happy. Sometimes the complaint had merit, and getting to know the problem, I had at least a chance to correct it. Right or wrong, the customer is always right!! So in reality, I have looked at this "tipping" question from both sides, and there are so many different sides to it.... some people resent it, some love it, but for the most part, most people I think like to make the decision themselves... and do not like mandatory service charge. Having said all this, I have to say that during our time on AC, we never, ever had bad service at any establishment that we frequented. The people of Belize (whether they be Belizeans or transplanted ex-pats that owned businesses there) are just some of the friendliest, happiest people we have ever met anywhere in the world. We cant wait to visit again this winter!!!
Posted By: Nolita

Re: Good service on Ambergris Caye - 05/20/05 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Denny Shane:
Actually, I had dinner with a friend one time and the service was deplorable. I remarked that we needed to speak to someone. My friend said not to worry he would take care of it. At the end of our meal, when it was time to leave a tip... he took his glass of water and dropped a penny in it. Then took a cardboard coaster and put it ontop of the glass of water... turned it over very fast and placed it on the table. After laughing he removed the coaster and now had left a glass full of water, turned upsidedown with a penny in it.

You can imagine the rest. eek cool
Wow, I'm amazed at the level of immaturity of that post. It certainly reflects the down side of a tourist. It amazes me that we bring our own sense and culture to a foreign place, assign our foreign standards and expect the locals to act accordingly. As for me, because most establishments probably expect a tip with some establishments training employees on ways to get them ... and then some expect tips without knowing best practices ... I give them all tips. Just do it ... just do it and stop being so friggin' analytical and dogmatic about it.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board